Quad State / Mayfield Kentucky Tornado Discussion

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: Quad State / Mayfield Kentucky Tornado Discussion

#21 Postby tolakram » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:09 pm

Well,

we enthusiasts have a habit of thinking many storms are cat5 / EF5, :) They should be rare, and require a lot of support. Just my opinion.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby cheezyWXguy » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:11 pm

tolakram wrote:Well,

we enthusiasts have a habit of thinking many storms are cat5 / EF5, :) They should be rare, and require a lot of support. Just my opinion.

You certainly have a point here. Every time I look at the various forms of social media during and after a major weather event, I am made aware of how thankful I am that armchair scientists are not able to have any impact on the scientific rigor that goes into forecasting, evaluation of forecasts, and damage ratings.

The only thought I have to the contrary is my curiosity on how we can go so long without an ef5. It’s hard to imagine that every F5 of the pre-satellite era is as credible as the ones of the last 15 years, given the increases in technology, population, and revisions in building codes. In a way it kind of feels like we are comparing apples to oranges. I’m sure some of this has to do with criteria changes from moving to the Ef scale, but it is a little tough to deal with as a weather weenie knowing how difficult it is to evaluate events that far in the past, let alone accurately compare them to similar events in the present.
0 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:34 pm

Is there still a chance this tornado gets upped to EF5?
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:22 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:Is there still a chance this tornado gets upped to EF5?

The EF4/190 rating is still preliminary so there's always a chance. With a track that long it will probably take a while to finalize the rating. Wouldn't be surprised if they kept it how it is tho.
2 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”