2022 Severe Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

2022 Severe Weather

#1 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:56 pm

The calendar is quickly approaching 2022 and when it does it's time to start looking ahead to spring 8-) Coming off a very interesting (and unusual) year of severe weather in 2021, it will be interesting to see what next year holds. 2021 featured yet another below average spring season, but did feature a few high-end events, and several destructive tornadoes on low risk days. Now let's take a look ahead to the 2022 season:

December Forecast:

Obviously it's way to early to nail down any specific details so this won't be near as detailed as later forecasts, more of an early general prediction. We currently have a La Nina in place, and that is expected to continue into the spring before possibly going to neutral sometime in the spring/summer. This would generally feature a good chance of above average activity, but as we saw in 2021, this isn't always the case. Let's break it down by region/month:

Winter Season (Jan/Feb): I'm expecting an average Jan/Feb. More active than 2021 but not anything too crazy. Might have a few notable events, mainly in the deep south/Dixie alley.

March: March 2021 was very active featuring 3 big outbreaks, 2 in Dixie Alley and the other in the plains. While I do think March 2022 could be fairly active, I don't expect it to be as active as last year.

April: I expect April 2022 to be much more active than April 2021, with most of the activity featured in Dixie Alley, with perhaps a couple small scale plains events as well. With the La Nina in place, that should help generate a solid amount of activity across the deep south, and I think that activity will be mostly in April, rather then March like it was in 2021. I don't think April will be quite as active as April 2020, but I think it will be a month to watch out for.

May: May has proven to be quite the wild card in recent years, and it's going to come down to whether we get an active pattern or not. For now, I'm going with another below average-average month for the plains but that could change as we get closer.

Overall my very early prediction for overall activity for the spring season:
Plains: Average
Dixie: Above average

More detailed forecasts to come as we get closer to spring.
3 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Severe Weather

#2 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:34 pm

Weather Dude wrote:The calendar is quickly approaching 2022 and when it does it's time to start looking ahead to spring 8-) Coming off a very interesting (and unusual) year of severe weather in 2021, it will be interesting to see what next year holds. 2021 featured yet another below average spring season, but did feature a few high-end events, and several destructive tornadoes on low risk days. Now let's take a look ahead to the 2022 season:

December Forecast:

Obviously it's way to early to nail down any specific details so this won't be near as detailed as later forecasts, more of an early general prediction. We currently have a La Nina in place, and that is expected to continue into the spring before possibly going to neutral sometime in the spring/summer. This would generally feature a good chance of above average activity, but as we saw in 2021, this isn't always the case. Let's break it down by region/month:

Winter Season (Jan/Feb): I'm expecting an average Jan/Feb. More active than 2021 but not anything too crazy. Might have a few notable events, mainly in the deep south/Dixie alley.

March: March 2021 was very active featuring 3 big outbreaks, 2 in Dixie Alley and the other in the plains. While I do think March 2022 could be fairly active, I don't expect it to be as active as last year.

April: I expect April 2022 to be much more active than April 2021, with most of the activity featured in Dixie Alley, with perhaps a couple small scale plains events as well. With the La Nina in place, that should help generate a solid amount of activity across the deep south, and I think that activity will be mostly in April, rather then March like it was in 2021. I don't think April will be quite as active as April 2020, but I think it will be a month to watch out for.

May: May has proven to be quite the wild card in recent years, and it's going to come down to whether we get an active pattern or not. For now, I'm going with another below average-average month for the plains but that could change as we get closer.

Overall my very early prediction for overall activity for the spring season:
Plains: Average
Dixie: Above average

More detailed forecasts to come as we get closer to spring.

What's your rating on the 2021 Storm Season?
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:50 am

Iceresistance wrote:What's your rating on the 2021 Storm Season?

2021 was certainly the most unusual year for severe weather that I've personally tracked so far. I mean, it's not very often you see the late year "second season" outperform the regular spring season (except for March). Oct/Dec 2021 probably isn't going to be beat for a very long time.

But for the spring season, it's also unusual for March to outperform April and May, which we saw last year as well. I do find it interesting that despite all the hype, the 2021 season was yet another underwhelming year, not just for tornadoes, but also storms in general. I think the big drought in the SW had partly to do with that, like I mentioned a few times in the 2021 thread. But the cold snap in April and an unfavorable pattern in May also had a big influence.

So basically early and late in the year was very active, but peak season was inactive, definitely an unusual year all around. I would expect 2022 to look much more like a "normal" year where most of the action is during peak season, although that's just all speculation at this point.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby FireRat » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:15 am

There are early signs of a potential severe weather & tornado event in the southern US during January 1-2, 2022. Just a heads up in case something happens.
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:34 am

I can't remember any years that had a big outbreak on the first day of the year but that's what we may be looking at to start off 2022. Day 6 slight risk up for Dixie alley for Saturday. Moisture and shear will definitely not be an issue. Stay tuned.
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby AnnularCane » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:49 am

Weather Dude wrote:I can't remember any years that had a big outbreak on the first day of the year but that's what we may be looking at to start off 2022. Day 6 slight risk up for Dixie alley for Saturday. Moisture and shear will definitely not be an issue. Stay tuned.

There was an outbreak on New Year's Eve 2010 but that's the closest I can recall off the top of my head.
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:08 am

Very Broad Slight risk for Dixie Alley on New Years day.

Do want to point out that just a couple days after that, snow is expected down there.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:14 am

Enhanced risk up for New Years day with a 10% HATCHED Tornado threat, the Enhanced risk is also kinda broad as well, there is room for a Moderate Risk if the models back that up.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#9 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:38 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#10 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:41 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:36 pm

Tornado a couple of days ago passed within a couple of miles to me. Ef0 but cool nonetheless.(Hall county GA)
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:56 pm

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#13 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:05 pm

0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby ElectricStorm » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:13 am

The first enhanced risk of the year was a major underperformance. Besides a few weak confirmed tornadoes, nothing else was able to get going thankfully. The culprit for that was the warm nose/cap inversion, similar to what happened on 5/20/19.

Next severe weather threat will likely be next Fri/Sat in the deep south.
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:50 am

Marginal Risk for SE Texas Saturday, first one for Texas this Year
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

MHC Tracking
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#16 Postby MHC Tracking » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:29 pm

-PNA looks to return for Spring severe season. The current +PNA phase appears to be just a hiccup. If December with its -PNA was anything to go by, the least we can expect is a lot of wavebreaking and shortwave troughs, and the most is nothing good.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby ElectricStorm » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:40 pm

Marginal risk moment...
Multiple supercells down by Houston with at least one ongoing confirmed tornado. Hopefully everyone stays safe down there.

Marginal risk up for tomorrow as well along the gulf coast.
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:52 pm

Weather Dude wrote:Marginal risk moment...
Multiple supercells down by Houston with at least one ongoing confirmed tornado. Hopefully everyone stays safe down there.

Marginal risk up for tomorrow as well along the gulf coast.

Tornado Watch has just been posted for Houston
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby ElectricStorm » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:22 pm

Eastern half of the tor watch has been upgraded to a slight risk.
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:52 pm

Slight risk with a Tornado Watch for Southern Alabama right now
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”