2022 Severe Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Severe Weather

#61 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:38 pm

Large, Violent Tornado just missed Des Moines, Iowa to the SE, that thing is a wedge. (Saw a photo of it on a Tweet)
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#62 Postby ElectricStorm » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:28 pm

Today was a massive overperformance and a perfect example of how much these triple point setups can really ramp up right before the event. Tragically, there have been at least 6 fatalities so far, hopefully there won't be any more than that.

As for tomorrow, it will be mostly a nocturnal event, unlike today's peak. There's some pretty solid parameters tomorrow, especially in AR, and while storm mode might not be super favorable, anything that can stay discrete and take advantage of that could be a problem. Hopefully tomorrow won't become a full on outbreak like today did.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#63 Postby ElectricStorm » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:01 am

Wow already EF3+ just hours after the event :eek:
https://twitter.com/NWSDesMoines/status ... 1057748999

Also tomorrow got upgraded to enhanced.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#64 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:40 pm

Classic Supercell with a Tornado near Russellsville, Arkansas
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#65 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:06 am

Some updates from NWS Des Moines on the tornadoes from yesterday:
Winterset- prelim EF3+
Chariton- prelim EF3
Corydon- prelim EF2
Humeston- prelim EF2
Link to their twitter page for more info and updates: https://twitter.com/NWSDesMoines

Fortunately, even though today had its moments, it was nowhere near yesterday in terms of activity and impacts. QLCS tornadoes remain possible for the next few hours but the main show appears to be done. Bit of a cap inversion held today back from reaching it's full potential but there were still some impressive supercells and tornadoes.

Tomorrow should be the final day of this system, and it appears to be more of a squall line/wind event rather than a tornado event like the last two days were. Will likely see some QLCS spin ups, but hopefully not anything more.

After that, the next potential system looks to be around 3/11 in the deep south.
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#66 Postby cycloneye » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:10 pm

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#67 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:32 pm

Enhanced risk for Wind & Tornadoes for Florida Tomorrow
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#68 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:26 pm

The Severe Weather pattern has been surprisingly active for a La Nina, especially for the Plains region. The pattern may take a 2 day rest later this week, which is likely allowing the atmosphere to settle down & refresh, then it will return back to the severe weather pattern that has been going on right now since at least March 5th.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#69 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:57 am

Lots of Severe Weather days are in place for this week & next week, this March has been really active, even the Plains.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#70 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:14 am

Iceresistance wrote:Large, Violent Tornado just missed Des Moines, Iowa to the SE, that thing is a wedge. (Saw a photo of it on a Tweet)

My friend was on the tornado! I am so jealous I wasn't able to chase! (college)
edit: yeah I was delayed on this post lol.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#71 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:48 pm

Upgrade to enhanced for the gulf coast tomorrow. 10 hatched tornado risk
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#72 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:00 am

I'm very concerned for LA tonight. Tornado watch up with 80/50 probs, is some of the highest of the year so far. I hope everyone there has a way to get warnings. Could be a long night down there.
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#73 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:19 am

Weather Dude wrote:I'm very concerned for LA tonight. Tornado watch up with 80/50 probs, is some of the highest of the year so far. I hope everyone there has a way to get warnings. Could be a long night down there.

As of right now there are 0 tornado reports from this so looks like it stayed messy and wasn't ever able to get anything going.

Ongoing threat now with a 10 hatched enhanced risk up for the gulf coast. Not much going on now other than a standard squall right now but we'll see if that changes or not. Later today a secondary threat will be for the Midwest and OV.

Both Monday and Tuesday have some serious potential and they should be both at least moderate risks but it's still several days out and a lot can change.
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#74 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:03 pm

Monday is gonna be trouble. Like I mean, forget the risks thing. We are going to see the conditions for maybe not record amounts of tornadoes, but some extremely powerful ones. I mean, holy crap the low lvl jet is forecast to be a banger. look at the 850mb wind pattern forecasts. We got a negative tilted trough to add up on all that.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#75 Postby ElectricStorm » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:38 am

Current thoughts for next week:
Like I mentioned in the Texas thread, I think we'll see a Day 3 enhanced for Monday with a likely upgrade to moderate at some point. Definitely looks like a major event, and if we end up getting more instability than forecast it will become even more concerning. The NAM has a larger area of instability, and GFS is sometimes known to underestimate it a bit, but to me all things considered this is shaping up to be a classic 15 hatched moderate risk event unless models start downtrending drastically over the next few days which is possible but unlikely IMO.

I'm also extremely concerned about Tuesday. GFS has more instability, and the NAM is not quite in range yet, but we could be looking at back to back big time events here. Wednesday could also be pretty active but as of right now it shouldn't be as active as Mon-Tues.

There's always a possibility of a downtrend but I'm not seeing that at the moment. As of right now, I'm really not seeing a whole lot holding either of these days back and that's a major concern. Buckle up folks, severe season is here, and it's not messing around.
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#76 Postby ElectricStorm » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:35 am

SPC with some very strong wording for Tuesday. Might be a possible Day 3 moderate but I wouldn't be surprised either way.
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#77 Postby ElectricStorm » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:49 am

One of the rarest things you'll see from SPC. Day 3 moderate

We're gonna have to hope storm mode is messier than normal, that's the only thing that could maybe hold this back. Next best scenario is it could pull a 3/17/21 and all the strong tornadoes are in rural areas and they all miss the populated towns/cities.

Yeah this is gonna get ugly.
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#78 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:35 pm

Weather Dude wrote:SPC with some very strong wording for Tuesday. Might be a possible Day 3 moderate but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

nice catch. I wonder if we will see a long tracked type outbreak or if it will be more cyclic. I am leaning towards cyclic.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#79 Postby ElectricStorm » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:32 pm

Day 2 outlook should remain moderate. There's only 2 Day 2 high risks on record and they were both for exceptional events, so we shouldn't see that here. First look at the CAMs are pretty linear, but a lot of times they'll show more discrete cells as we get closer to the event, and they're really not very reliable at this range anyway. I think we could see an expansion of the moderate a bit but any potential upgrade would most likely be on the day of, and an upgrade isn't certain anyway. Still some uncertainties here that could be the difference between a major tornado outbreak and a squall line wind event.
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#80 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:47 am

Day 1 remains enhanced for now
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”