Texas Spring 2022

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Spring 2022

#1801 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed May 18, 2022 11:48 pm

On the very eastern edge of the severe thunderstorm watch here in the marginal risk. Hopefully we can get something decent but it needs to move out of here before morning
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1802 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu May 19, 2022 6:58 am

Ended up with a severe thunderstorm warning on the far southern edge of that line moving through. Marginal risk came in clutch. Now we'll see what we can get tomorrow.
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1803 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Thu May 19, 2022 9:30 am

May snowstorm this weekend in Denver. Had dreams of that as a kid.

And i'm in Costa Rica :x
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

lukem
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1804 Postby lukem » Thu May 19, 2022 9:54 am

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:May snowstorm this weekend in Denver. Had dreams of that as a kid.

I'm driving from Texas to Montana this weekend. Was planning on making it to Casper, Wyoming on Saturday. Pretty crazy that I've been dealing with 105 temps all week, and now I'm worried about getting caught in a snowstorm on my drive north!
4 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1805 Postby bubba hotep » Thu May 19, 2022 9:55 am

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:May snowstorm this weekend in Denver. Had dreams of that as a kid.

That's a major bummer! The Front Range blizzard last Spring was one of my all-time favorite weather experiences.
1 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1806 Postby rwfromkansas » Thu May 19, 2022 9:56 am

Models moving the heaviest rains east. Still widespread good rains though. For now.
1 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1807 Postby bubba hotep » Thu May 19, 2022 9:59 am

Got a nice thunderstorm this morning, that was unexpcted!
1 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#1808 Postby jasons2k » Thu May 19, 2022 9:59 am

Morning update from Jeff:

Much needed weather pattern change will unfold over the southern plains this weekend into next week.

High pressure that has been parked over Texas for much of the month of May will begin to flatten and break down over the next 48 hours as a trough of low pressure currently near the western coast of Mexico moves eastward and eventually across central Texas this weekend. Lowering mid level heights will finally weaken the strong capping inversion that has been in place over the region for weeks preventing much of any rainfall. At the surface a frontal boundary will move southward and then slow and eventually stall across SE TX late this weekend into much of next week. This combined of onshore flow of deep tropical moisture from the western Gulf of Mexico and a series of upper level disturbances moving across the region will produce numerous rounds of showers and thunderstorms for several days.

Widespread rainfall amounts of 2-4 inches look likely with isolated amounts upwards of 5-6 inches possible. Heavy rainfall will be possible starting on Sunday over the region with the slow moving frontal boundary over the area and likely the development of slow moving or training storms. Grounds are very dry with much of the southern portions of the area in drought, but heavy rainfall potential in a short period of time and expected numerous rounds of storms over several days will eventually begin to saturate the soils. While flooding is not currently expected for the weekend, this is the type of weather pattern that needs to be watched closely.

Weak frontal boundary will waffle and linger over the region into the middle of next week along with a weakness in the ridge axis which will keep rain chances going. Again slow moving storms will be possible along with heavy rainfall. This period may begin to feature a higher flash flood threat as soils becoming increasingly saturated.

This weather pattern looks to bring significant drought and fire relief to much of the state.
1 likes   

A1A
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1809 Postby A1A » Thu May 19, 2022 10:30 am

bubba hotep wrote:It looks like areas of Eastern and NE DFW could actually end up with above avg rainfall for Spring, esp. if this pans out. Some areas have already had 10"+ of rain so far this Spring.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTEPQnwWUAY2Wfl?format=png&name=medium

What is the link to get an update? Thanks.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1810 Postby Ntxw » Thu May 19, 2022 10:36 am

rwfromkansas wrote:Models moving the heaviest rains east. Still widespread good rains though. For now.

A concern I had was that models were being sensitive to the CCKW being over the Pacific on the good runs, SOI dip and then rise backs it up some. Now that it has passed they've toned it down some. Notice the GFS has given up on the gulf hurricanes from CAG.

Regardless the cooldown and some beneficial rainfall is much welcomed.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

DallasAg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1811 Postby DallasAg » Thu May 19, 2022 10:56 am

lukem wrote:

I'm driving from Texas to Montana this weekend. Was planning on making it to Casper, Wyoming on Saturday. Pretty crazy that I've been dealing with 105 temps all week, and now I'm worried about getting caught in a snowstorm on my drive north!

I'm driving from Dallas to Crested Butte on Saturday. Was really looking forward to escaping the heat and getting into "cooler" weather, but this might be a bit much. The good news is that this time of year the snow doesn't last long and hopefully won't be sticking to the roads.
2 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1812 Postby bubba hotep » Thu May 19, 2022 10:58 am

Ntxw wrote:
rwfromkansas wrote:Models moving the heaviest rains east. Still widespread good rains though. For now.

A concern I had was that models were being sensitive to the CCKW being over the Pacific on the good runs, SOI dip and then rise backs it up some. Now that it has passed they've toned it down some. Notice the GFS has given up on the gulf hurricanes from CAG.

https://i.imgur.com/qQ1m6ff.png

Regardless the cooldown and some beneficial rainfall is much welcomed.

That also played a role in the model showing more rain over Texas. No storm in the Gulf allows for some moisture transport north from the CAG and also there is no widespread subsidence being thrown out from a powerful Gulf hurricane.
1 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1813 Postby bubba hotep » Thu May 19, 2022 12:33 pm

3 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1814 Postby Iceresistance » Thu May 19, 2022 12:33 pm

I was about to take note of that, goodness!

EDIT: I would like to have it saved in a GIF uploaded like Imgur please, it’s hotlinked.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1815 Postby rwfromkansas » Thu May 19, 2022 12:50 pm

Of course, after I said that, GFS is moving west again. Lol.

It is finally looking hopeful that we will get decent rains, even if it's half the current projections. Just waiting for it to change. Lol.
1 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1816 Postby South Texas Storms » Thu May 19, 2022 12:53 pm

1 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1817 Postby Haris » Thu May 19, 2022 1:36 pm

Euro really pushing the heavy rain south and east each run. Gonna remain reserved knowing our luck
1 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1818 Postby rwfromkansas » Thu May 19, 2022 2:10 pm

Yeah, I'm in a hole under an inch on the Euro. Lol.
1 likes   

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#1819 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Thu May 19, 2022 2:47 pm

After Wednesday, next week looks really nice for late May into early June. The Euro has lows well into the 60s for much of the state and highs only in the low to mid-80s. It looks like multiple days of cooler weather too. I will gladly take that after such a long period of above-normal temperatures!
2 likes   

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1820 Postby Edwards Limestone » Thu May 19, 2022 3:26 pm

Haris wrote:Euro really pushing the heavy rain south and east each run. Gonna remain reserved knowing our luck

Exactly. I'm in "show me" mode based on countless precip model busts/last minute shifts east over the past 6-8 months.

Hoping for the best, anticipating yet another underwhelming event. The background state will need to change before we get any true drought relief.
0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”