Texas Spring 2022

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Spring 2022

#1941 Postby Brent » Mon May 23, 2022 7:59 pm

Rain has not stopped here. Actually popped a flood advisory. Last night the models had us mostly dry today :spam: the bigger event was always tomorrow
0 likes   
#neversummer

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1942 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon May 23, 2022 8:05 pm

This tornado in TX happened in a 2% tornado area and the severe watch lists EF2+ probs at just 5%. Goes to show that anything can happen even on the most marginal tornado setups
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1943 Postby bubba hotep » Mon May 23, 2022 8:33 pm

00z HRRR has a huge MCS rolling across Texas tomorrow into tomorrow night.

1 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1944 Postby Ntxw » Mon May 23, 2022 8:44 pm

Curious how the 2nd impulse from WTX pivots out. If timing is right the orientation could prolong more E-W vs N-S which would help drive up totals. If it happens further south obviously inverse effect.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1945 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon May 23, 2022 8:48 pm

Looks like SA, Austin, and the Hill Country will miss out on tonight's round as storms developing over south TX will be disrupting inflow for the next disturbance moving out of Mexico. Sigh. That leaves one round for us tomorrow night. Hope that one can produce.
1 likes   

DallasAg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1946 Postby DallasAg » Mon May 23, 2022 10:15 pm

Almost on cue, all of that rain approaching DFW from the southwest evaporated basically over the Dallas/Tarrant county line. It feels like we're cursed.
0 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1947 Postby rwfromkansas » Mon May 23, 2022 10:21 pm

I got .10 of an inch before it evaporated. Maybe it will help at least moisten mid-levels further southwest?
0 likes   

Bhow
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1948 Postby Bhow » Tue May 24, 2022 7:02 am

So far this event has been very underwhelming. Hoping this last system overproduces but i highly doubt it.
1 likes   

cstrunk
Category 1
Category 1

#1949 Postby cstrunk » Tue May 24, 2022 7:55 am

The Flash Flood Watch for ETX into the Arklatex still seems like overkill to me. The HRRR and NAM3k showing generally 1"-2" across the area. Locally higher amounts possible, but the soils can handle quite a bit and it seems like the storms should generally be progressive in nature. At this point I'm just hoping I can get at least 1". With the squall line moving in near midnight it may be losing some steam. We shall see...
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1950 Postby bubba hotep » Tue May 24, 2022 7:57 am

Huge MCS off the coast of Texas in the Gulf that the models missed and a big outflow boundary moving out of the Panhandle. That should really help clear up today's rainfall forecast lol
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1951 Postby bubba hotep » Tue May 24, 2022 8:00 am

SPC has upgraded a pretty large area.

4 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1952 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue May 24, 2022 8:21 am

This rain forecast definitely was a bust.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1953 Postby Ntxw » Tue May 24, 2022 8:27 am

In other news whopping +33 daily SOI. Have not seen a negative since April 3rd, quite significant streak for historical Springs.

Made a post prior about high SOI Springs that starts reversing in May for wet, cool summers. In real time, not happening.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1954 Postby HockeyTx82 » Tue May 24, 2022 8:43 am

bubba hotep wrote:SPC has upgraded a pretty large area.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/public/state/images/TX_swody1.png

Yup, and that monster Tornado west of Lubbock happened in a slight area with 2% chance. Any word on strength or size? That thing looked like a beast. Had that gone over populated areas. Oh my.
0 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1955 Postby Edwards Limestone » Tue May 24, 2022 9:13 am

Majority of models are not handling this setup well at all. I knew we were doomed yesterday when EWX put out that forecast map showing wide swaths of 3-4" precip. :lol:

I've received a whopping 0.05" for this event thus far. Yikes.

Also, LOL at EWX twitter:

https://twitter.com/NWSSanAntonio/status/1529065413941805057

1 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#1956 Postby cheezyWXguy » Tue May 24, 2022 9:18 am

HockeyTx82 wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:SPC has upgraded a pretty large area.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/public/state/images/TX_swody1.png

Yup, and that monster Tornado west of Lubbock happened in a slight area with 2% chance. Any word on strength or size? That thing looked like a beast. Had that gone over populated areas. Oh my.

Definitely huge, and likely pretty strong, but I have my doubts that it would have been an upper end monster in an urban area. The motion doesn’t look crazy violent in the videos I’ve seen, but it is easily the most photogenic wedge I’ve seen in a while, especially with all that loose dust in drought-stricken west Texas being easily lofted to define the full size of the tornado. Reminds me of a supersized Tescott 2018.
2 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1957 Postby bubba hotep » Tue May 24, 2022 9:23 am

Ntxw wrote:In other news whopping +33 daily SOI. Have not seen a negative since April 3rd, quite significant streak for historical Springs.

Made a post prior about high SOI Springs that starts reversing in May for wet, cool summers. In real time, not happening.

Rapid rise caused by the suppressed phase of the last CCKW and the background ENSO state? The next wave looks to be more coherent and MJO like vs the recent quick moving CCKW. I suspect we will see an uptick in svr wx across the Southern Plains as the MJO rotates into P8. This MJO could certainly pause any progression towards drought as June is typically a pretty wet month for a lot of Texas.

1 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1958 Postby bubba hotep » Tue May 24, 2022 9:34 am

We have been complaining about missing out on rain the last few days but some very beneficial rain has fallen in the Panhandle and Western Oklahoma.
2 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1959 Postby Brent » Tue May 24, 2022 9:42 am

Still raining here :spam: hasn't been much of a break since yesterday around lunch. Tulsa was approaching 8 inches for the month already
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1960 Postby Ntxw » Tue May 24, 2022 9:49 am

bubba hotep wrote:
Ntxw wrote:In other news whopping +33 daily SOI. Have not seen a negative since April 3rd, quite significant streak for historical Springs.

Rapid rise caused by the suppressed phase of the last CCKW and the background ENSO state? The next wave looks to be more coherent and MJO like vs the recent quick moving CCKW. I suspect we will see an uptick in svr wx across the Southern Plains as the MJO rotates into P8. This MJO could certainly pause any progression towards drought as June is typically a pretty wet month for a lot of Texas.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_small.gif

I hope so. Intraseasonal variability occurs, it's supposed to typically traverse the Pacific April-June even in Nina years (weakening ENSO.) The promises of those months delivering so far has not been the best grade. Lets hope that something changes in June. The background state hasn't changed. You're still looking at less than 27C over the tropical Pacific which is not ideal for sustained convection even when the CCKW/MJO passes over. We're entering the summer longwave pattern, these PVa digging eventually will be too far north.

After today's rain event, many of us will ride another 7-10 days of bone dry weather. That's been the killer too, underwhelming events for a lot and the intervals are far too long.
2 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”