Texas Summer 2022

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Summer 2022

#321 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:18 am

GFS is still the better of the models for a cooldown couple of days to close the month with the brief reshuffle of the Pac NW at 500mb. When saying cool down talking back to normal values for June. The lower level thermal ridge is still hanging around especially the drought areas so it will remain elevated but may overtake the region again, analogs package suggest a return to heat the beginning of July.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#322 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:22 pm

The GFS looks terrible. Im here in TX for another week, been here since early June, and I dont miss these summers at all. The most obvious summer is 2011, when we had crazy heat and drought, but i'm curious how this compares to 1993. I remember that summer being very very miserable. I believe that '93 was a nino year as well. Any other strong similarities? GFS just looks so hopeless. Hoping we can crack this heat wave soon.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#323 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:39 pm

Cpv17 wrote:Models are showing some sort vorticity moving from east to west across the Gulf around late this coming weekend or into the beginning part of next week.

They are showing it again today. 12z Euro and CMC both show something in the Gulf near the Texas coast next week.
2 likes   

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#324 Postby Edwards Limestone » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:13 pm

This is the most boring June I can ever remember in South Central TX. Great pool weather I guess :sun:

El Nino summers are more fun.
4 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#325 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:40 pm

NWS going bullish on their weekend forecast for heat. Surprisingly DFW and Houston NWS are going hotter than their central TX counterparts. 105+ for DFW and 103+ for Houston.

Galveston is on some wild streak of 80F+ lows. Only 2 days in June have recorded lows under 80 thus far. 16 days consecutive ongoing.

Mid 90s early next week after air mass shift will feel cold :cold:.
5 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#326 Postby Brent » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:37 am

WeatherBug has a HIGH of 82 here on Monday after a high of 100 Saturday. We had some lows around that last week. If that verifies I may have to find my coat :spam:

Until that point yeah it's ugly. Today was our "nicest day" and it was still way too hot
0 likes   
#neversummer

DallasAg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#327 Postby DallasAg » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:51 am

Ntxw wrote:NWS going bullish on their weekend forecast for heat. Surprisingly DFW and Houston NWS are going hotter than their central TX counterparts. 105+ for DFW and 103+ for Houston.

Galveston is on some wild streak of 80F+ lows. Only 2 days in June have recorded lows under 80 thus far. 16 days consecutive ongoing.

Mid 90s early next week after air mass shift will feel cold :cold:.

Looks like records are safe - Summer of 1980 records start showing up after today, and no way we'll hit those (hopefully). Maybe some record high minimums this weekend with the UHI.

That's the one thing which was so interesting about the Summer of 1980. For as insanely hot as it was, only 3 record high minimums still stand. Of course DFW was a lot smaller 42 years ago, and not nearly the concrete and steel that we have now.
0 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#328 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:36 am

Happy first day of Summer. :yayaya:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#329 Postby Portastorm » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:09 am

Edwards Limestone wrote:This is the most boring June I can ever remember in South Central TX. Great pool weather I guess :sun:

Here in Austin, we're easily on our way to recording to hottest June in history. Unfortunately.
2 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#330 Postby jasons2k » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:19 am

Portastorm wrote:
Edwards Limestone wrote:This is the most boring June I can ever remember in South Central TX. Great pool weather I guess :sun:

Here in Austin, we're easily on our way to recording to hottest June in history. Unfortunately.

The same is true here in SE Texas. We are on pace to easily beat 2011. I hope we get some rain because in August of 2011, Bush Airport hit 100 degrees every day except for one and there were dead trees everywhere. With all the fires it was like the apocalypse in places, especially Bastrop. I don't to see anything like that ever again!!
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#331 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:49 pm

jasons2k wrote:
Portastorm wrote:

The same is true here in SE Texas. We are on pace to easily beat 2011. I hope we get some rain because in August of 2011, Bush Airport hit 100 degrees every day except for one and there were dead trees everywhere. With all the fires it was like the apocalypse in places, especially Bastrop. I don't to see anything like that ever again!!

Not only that but June's average right now for both sites are good enough or on pace to be a top 5 July or August comparison. Continuity has been the theme for the heat. A similar pattern in July and/or August could yield =>88F - 90F average, which are held mostly by 2011.

If I'm not mistaken Austin just had its warmest May on record and Houston 2nd warmest.
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#332 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:55 pm

jasons2k wrote:
Portastorm wrote:

It is close, but 1902 was a really hot year. My area featured 8 consecutive days of 102 or higher for the high with 106 being the hottest temperature. That is also the record high for all Junes. Haven't had temperatures that hot yet at my location. So far, it has peaked around 100, but this weekend it might be 102 or 103.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#333 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:43 pm

Ntxw wrote:
jasons2k wrote:
Portastorm wrote:

Not only that but June's average right now for both sites are good enough or on pace to be a top 5 July or August comparison. Continuity has been the theme for the heat. A similar pattern in July and/or August could yield =>88F - 90F average, which are held mostly by 2011.

If I'm not mistaken Austin just had its warmest May on record and Houston 2nd warmest.

Yes. Our "Summer" started in May. :grr: :cry:
I would guess a lot of pools around here are at (or very close) to bathtub water temperatures. I took a jog this morning around 5am. It was 81 degrees. I think it finally bottomed out at 78 before sun-up. That is like a hot August.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#334 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:08 pm

Please God! I'm rooting for the GFS. :wink: Anything is better than this um, ridiculousness we've been experiencing. I have other words for it in my head I could use, but I'll keep it clean. Not worth it.lol

FXUS64 KEWX 211921
AFDEWX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Austin/San Antonio TX
221 PM CDT Tue Jun 21 2022

...New SHORT TERM, LONG TERM...

.SHORT TERM...
(Tonight through Wednesday night)
Issued at 204 PM CDT Tue Jun 21 2022

Partly cloudy skies are expected to remain across the area with
highs reaching the upper 90s across the Hill Country and up to 102
degrees over a few locations across the Rio Grande and coastal
plains this afternoon. Latest satellite images are showing the sea
breeze pushing across the coastal plains as of this writing. Some
hires models suggest for pop up showers to develop mainly along and
east of Highway 281 including the I-35 corridor later this
afternoon. It is difficult to pin point the locations of this shower
activity as the combination of heat, humidity and lift takes place.
The fact is that some people may get lucky with a passing shower

while the rest will get nothing. Otherwise, dry and warm for this
evening into Wednesday with clouds returning overnight across areas
along and east of Interstate 35. Lows are forecast to be around the
mid 70s areawide.

Dry and hot weather conditions continue on Wednesday with highs in
the upper 90s across the Hill Country and up to 102 degrees across
the coastal plains. Heat index values are forecast to range from 102
to 107 along and east of Interstate 35. A new episode of Saharan
Dust is expected for Wednesday and therefore, the sky is expected to
look hazy as dust particles linger across the local area. As far as
chances for showers on Wednesday, less than 10 percent. However, a
slight chance for showers is possible just to the south of our local
area toward the middle Texas coast.

&&

.LONG TERM...
(Thursday through Monday)
Issued at 204 PM CDT Tue Jun 21 2022

The center of the upper level ridge will be over Texas Thursday and
remain there Friday. This will keep dry weather in place over our
CWA. It will even suppress most seabreeze showers over our Coastal
Plains counties. It will also allow temperatures to increase a few
degrees for the latter part of the week. Nearly all of the CWA will
have highs above 100 by Friday with this heat continuing over the
weekend. Monday a weak cold front will move through Central Texas and
into our CWA. This bring low chances for showers and thunderstorms
Monday and Monday night. The GFS is also showing cooler temperatures
Monday,
but the blended guidance has not picked up on the cooling.
For now we will side with the blend and only have temps a few degrees
cooler.
2 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#335 Postby bubba hotep » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:27 pm

Ensembles are raising an eyebrow for the WCAB/Gulf in the longer range.
4 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#336 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:58 pm

bubba hotep wrote:Ensembles are raising an eyebrow for the WCAB/Gulf in the longer range.

What's also interesting is that the majority of members with a more northern component show mostly hurricane intensity. I have to wonder about this although there are anomalies like Dennis and the 1933 Trinidad Hurricane.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#337 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:21 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:Ensembles are raising an eyebrow for the WCAB/Gulf in the longer range.

What's also interesting is that the majority of members with a more northern component show mostly hurricane intensity. I have to wonder about this although there are anomalies like Dennis and the 1933 Trinidad Hurricane.

Yes, because the stronger the storm the more poleward motion it’ll have. That’s why the strongest members have a northerly component.
2 likes   

Nederlander
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#338 Postby Nederlander » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:25 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:

Yes, because the stronger the storm the more poleward motion it’ll have. That’s why the strongest members have a northerly component.

Sort of, but it’s not that stronger systems automatically have more poleward motion. In this case its less land interaction/more time over warm water. Those are conducive for stronger systems which are guided more by upper level steering.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#339 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:01 pm

Nederlander wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:

Sort of, but it’s not that stronger systems automatically have more poleward motion. In this case its less land interaction/more time over warm water. Those are conducive for stronger systems which are guided more by upper level steering.

Yep, that is correct!
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#340 Postby Brent » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:54 pm

the GFS has highs in the 70s here Monday... what I'd give for that to verify :lol: :spam:

Otherwise yeah it does look like the only other story is the tropics may be waking up soon
2 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”