Texas Summer 2022

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Summer 2022

#1081 Postby Edwards Limestone » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:24 am

Iceresistance wrote:Now we may have this to worry about, it's looking very impressive over the Yucatán and could head towards Southern Texas if it keeps a northward component.

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/89844104.gif
https://s4.gifyu.com/images/89844104.gif

Sleeper potential here. Models aren't on board, but what's new in the tropics.
2 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1082 Postby rwfromkansas » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:53 pm

HockeyTx82 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:DFW is now expecting 5-8 inches of rain per WPC, this would be a flooding disaster.

That's a pretty bold statement. I would think localized flooding will occur. Disaster level, seems like a stretch.

Disaster isn't happening unless it's a foot or more. Just been too dry.

Just some minor issues with 5-8.
4 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1083 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:55 pm

I mean, come on, Euro

ETA: It looks like the Euro might overdoing the low associated with the disturbance coming out of the BOC. It drifts up towards the Panhandle and then seems to strengthen and organize it as it drops back south. I'm not sure the upper level dynamics are present to produce that kind of low level response over land. We'll have to wait and see lol

2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1084 Postby TropicalTundra » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:14 pm

bubba hotep wrote:I mean, come on, Euro

ETA: It looks like the Euro might overdoing the low associated with the disturbance coming out of the BOC. It drifts up towards the Panhandle and then seems to strengthen and organize it as it drops back south. I'm not sure the upper level dynamics are present to produce that kind of low level response over land. We'll have to wait and see lol

https://m1o.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/ecmwf_full/2022081812/222/qpf_acc.us_sc.png

31 inches... scuba diving doesn't sound too bad lol :lol:
1 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1085 Postby Brent » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:49 pm

Yeah I'm intrigued by the Gulf potential. Seems like a sure bet it would make an attempt at being named at least
0 likes   
#neversummer

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1086 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:32 pm

Follow the details about Invest 99L to see if south Texas will have effects from it.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1087 Postby Edwards Limestone » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:27 pm

This outflow boundary ruined everything down here. Too much dry air. It's like groundhog day.

I'm personally rooting for the tropical system if for nothing else to help eat away at the cockroach ridge, moisten up the mid levels, and (hopefully) do anything else to change this endless pattern of precip disappointment after disappointment.
2 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#1088 Postby Clearcloudz » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:41 pm

https://m1o.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/ecmwf_full/2022081812/222/qpf_acc.us_sc.png

It's been very consistent in showing this the past few runs.
The control on the Euro is even more aggressive which is interesting to me. However take it with a grain of salt until other models show this as well.
1 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#1089 Postby Clearcloudz » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:29 pm

Clearcloudz wrote:

The control on the Euro is even more aggressive which is interesting to me. However take it with a grain of salt until other models show this as well.
https://i.imgur.com/N7rbPwu.png

18Z ICON coming in similar to the 12Z EURO
1 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1090 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:32 pm

Edwards Limestone wrote:This outflow boundary ruined everything down here. Too much dry air. It's like groundhog day.

I'm personally rooting for the tropical system if for nothing else to help eat away at the cockroach ridge, moisten up the mid levels, and (hopefully) do anything else to change this endless pattern of precip disappointment after disappointment.

That outflow messed it up here at my house too. Totally stabilized it and storms fell apart on way here. We did manage to squeeze out some light rain, and went from 99 to 76. Measured about a tenth or less. My brother In South Austin sent a video of it pouring at his place! I said it evaporates at my place before it gets here,.lol. Been my life story.

On the news, David Yeomans on KXAN had a map of rainfall deficits. Austin and the Hill Country are in the 12 to 15 inches behind range. He also had a map of rainfall projections over the next 7 days per the CPC. I don't know how to put screenshots taken with a camera on this forum to show the maps I saw(?). It had 5 to 7 inches over the Hill Country! He mentioned going from "feast to famine." I think he meant "famine to feast."(?). Has to do with the Gulf low merging with the Texas trough and colliding. Fingers crossed! He said we could ironically be talking about flooding next week. Go figure, after this God-forsaken months-long toaster oven-baked relentless Summer. Bring it!
:lightning: :rain: :lightning: :rain: :lightning: :rain: :lightning: :rain: :lightning: :rain:
4 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1091 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:45 pm

Clearcloudz wrote:
Clearcloudz wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/N7rbPwu.png

18Z ICON coming in similar to the 12Z EURO
https://i.imgur.com/PY9wJtE.png

If we get a closed surface low drifting SE into a tropical moisture firehose then we will likely see some ridiculous rainfall totals. I'm just not sure that the dynamics are present to get 99L to look the best in its life cycle after it's been inland for several days. The GFS washes out 99L so there isn't a feature to really enhance rainfall like what the Euro and ICON are showing.
3 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1092 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:48 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
Edwards Limestone wrote:This outflow boundary ruined everything down here. Too much dry air. It's like groundhog day.

That outflow messed it up here at my house too. Totally stabilized it and storms fell apart on way here. We did manage to squeeze out some light rain, and went from 99 to 76. Measured about a tenth or less. My brother In South Austin sent a video of it pouring at his place! I said it evaporates at my place before it gets here,.lol. Been my life story.

On the news, David Yeomans on KXAN had a map of rainfall deficits. Austin and the Hill Country are in the 12 to 15 inches behind range. He also had a map of rainfall projections over the next 7 days per the CPC. I don't know how to put screenshots taken with a camera on this forum to show the maps I saw(?). It had 5 to 7 inches over the Hill Country! He mentioned going from "feast to famine." I think he meant "famine to feast."(?). Has to do with the Gulf low merging with the Texas trough and colliding. Fingers crossed! He said we could ironically be talking about flooding next week. Go figure, after this God-forsaken months-long toaster oven-baked relentless Summer. Bring it!
:lightning: :rain: :lightning: :rain: :lightning: :rain: :lightning: :rain: :lightning: :rain:

Here is the latest from WPC. The crazy thing, this would knock Dallas out of the Top 10 driest summers and push all-time August rainfall totals!

6 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#1093 Postby Clearcloudz » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:58 am

00Z ECMWF rainfall totals :idea: EURO sticking with this idea that somewhere between Austin and Dallas there will be a 20 to 40 inch rain event.

2 likes   

cstrunk
Category 1
Category 1

#1094 Postby cstrunk » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:49 am

Do I get to complain if I only get 4" of rain instead of 7"+ over the next week? :lol:

If this busts... Lord help us all.
1 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1095 Postby rwfromkansas » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:01 am

I wonder when the WPC last had such widespread 5-inch totals over Texas?

As for the Euro, the moving totals do give pause since I’m on the western end of the extreme totals now and it drops quickly.

But, I think it’s a lock to get 3 inches, probably the most rain since last year IMBY.

It’s just a question of how much and where. But, it’s no longer a question if widespread heavy rain will happen over much of Texas.
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1096 Postby bubba hotep » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:10 am

rwfromkansas wrote:I wonder when the WPC last had such widespread 5-inch totals over Texas?

As for the Euro, the moving totals do give pause since I’m on the western end of the extreme totals now and it drops quickly.

But, I think it’s a lock to get 3 inches, probably the most rain since last year IMBY.

It’s just a question of how much and where. But, it’s no longer a question if widespread heavy rain will happen over much of Texas.

That is a good question. This current forecast is double or triple the avg August rainfall for many areas :rain:
0 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#1097 Postby cheezyWXguy » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:40 am

Clearcloudz wrote:00Z ECMWF rainfall totals :idea: EURO sticking with this idea that somewhere between Austin and Dallas there will be a 20 to 40 inch rain event.

https://i.imgur.com/ZGtkNXP.png

I know the euro tends to overdo convective feedback in situations like this, so what is a reasonable upper bound on this setup in terms of rainfall amounts? Dfw afd does mention convective feedback and near record pwats, which makes me think someone in Texas could get 12”+
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1098 Postby Ntxw » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:46 am

cheezyWXguy wrote:
Clearcloudz wrote:00Z ECMWF rainfall totals :idea: EURO sticking with this idea that somewhere between Austin and Dallas there will be a 20 to 40 inch rain event.

https://i.imgur.com/ZGtkNXP.png

I know the euro tends to overdo convective feedback in situations like this, so what is a reasonable upper bound on this setup in terms of rainfall amounts? Dfw afd does mention convective feedback and near record pwats, which makes me think someone in Texas could get 12”+

10-15" is a reasonable number I think. One missed item is the former 98L that traveled through S-Texas and Mexico, its remnants and possible vorticity is still rounding the former ridge. If there is a discernible meso-center with that feature we definitely could see a rain bomb if it slowly tracks the frontal boundary, that's when the wild numbers could be in play.

4 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1099 Postby Edwards Limestone » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:50 am

I don't think the Euro is necessarily overdoing it with totals, but the the extreme widespread coverage seems off. As we saw yesterday, all it takes is one outflow boundary to cut off everything.
2 likes   

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1100 Postby TropicalTundra » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:56 am

Had a light drizzle earlier for about 5 minutes and got 0.02”. Hopefully we can get more rain in the afternoon
0 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”