Texas Summer 2022

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Summer 2022

#341 Postby cheezyWXguy » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:20 am

Cpv17 wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:Ensembles are raising an eyebrow for the WCAB/Gulf in the longer range.

What's also interesting is that the majority of members with a more northern component show mostly hurricane intensity. I have to wonder about this although there are anomalies like Dennis and the 1933 Trinidad Hurricane.

Yes, because the stronger the storm the more poleward motion it’ll have. That’s why the strongest members have a northerly component.

This is generally true as a broad rule of thumb, and I think it’s true in this case, but there are exceptions. It’s important to note that the stronger a system is, the more it is influenced by steering higher up in the atmosphere. If steering currents in the lower levels are more to the north, but steering currents higher up are more toward the west, a stronger storm would be more likely to take a track to the west, or on the southern end of guidance in this hypothetical situation.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#342 Postby jasons2k » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:57 am

cheezyWXguy wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:
What's also interesting is that the majority of members with a more northern component show mostly hurricane intensity. I have to wonder about this although there are anomalies like Dennis and the 1933 Trinidad Hurricane.

Yes, because the stronger the storm the more poleward motion it’ll have. That’s why the strongest members have a northerly component.

This is generally true as a broad rule of thumb, and I think it’s true in this case, but there are exceptions. It’s important to note that the stronger a system is, the more it is influenced by steering higher up in the atmosphere. If steering currents in the lower levels are more to the north, but steering currents higher up are more toward the west, a stronger storm would be more likely to take a track to the west, or on the southern end of guidance in this hypothetical situation.

Wouldn't matter for a storm that weak. Just look at the good old-fashioned 500mb steering currents.
1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#343 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:17 am

Relief is on the horizon for me, after the 100s that is forecasted. I'm expecting highs in the mid to low 80s early next week, it's been trending cooler in the past few days, the forecast used to be in the low 90s just 3 days ago.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#344 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:44 am

12z GFS is optimistic for rain across much of the lower-half of the state over the next 10 days. Rainfall averages are 2-3 inches in many areas with isolated 5 inch plus totals. Please be right GFS. Please be right.
5 likes   

wxman22
Category 3
Category 3

#345 Postby wxman22 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:05 pm

3 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#346 Postby cheezyWXguy » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:18 pm

jasons2k wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

Wouldn't matter for a storm that weak. Just look at the good old-fashioned 500mb steering currents.

Yeah was talking more about it as a generalization. Acknowledged above that the conventional thinking is true in this particular case
0 likes   

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#347 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:19 pm

Due to all the rain/clouds, the GFS has much of the state with only 80s for highs! Is this a dream come true or a dream about to be crushed?
4 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#348 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:15 pm

Please let the GFS be right and the disturbance gets trapped beneath the ridge next week!
7 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#349 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:07 pm

Ntxw wrote:Please let the GFS be right and the disturbance gets trapped beneath the ridge next week!

I noticed that the Climate Prediction Center has the area for at least a moderate risk of excessive heat restricted to Southeast Texas next week as well, so maybe it's possible after all?
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#350 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:16 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Please let the GFS be right and the disturbance gets trapped beneath the ridge next week!

I noticed that the Climate Prediction Center has the area for at least a moderate risk of excessive heat restricted to Southeast Texas next week as well, so maybe it's possible after all?

It's not really, at the moment, a wholesale regime change. The highlighted raised heights in the Pac NW is only a respite. It weakens the ridge over the central US and we see a weak front/boundary pass. Moisture may pool and get trapped for a time with weak flow but eventually the ridge will strengthen again as Aleutian ridge resumes. But we'll take several days of relief.

Cckw activity poking into the WPAC temporarily shoves the 500mb pattern.
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#351 Postby South Texas Storms » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:48 pm

Finally got some rain here today...first time in weeks! Just under 0.50 inch of liquid gold this evening...I'm thankful! Hopefully all of us can get some beneficial rainfall with the weak frontal boundary early next week. I'm cautiously optimistic!
5 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#352 Postby wxman57 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:16 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:Finally got some rain here today...first time in weeks! Just under 0.50 inch of liquid gold this evening...I'm thankful! Hopefully all of us can get some beneficial rainfall with the weak frontal boundary early next week. I'm cautiously optimistic!

Got a whole 0.04" in SW Houston, almost as heavy as the 0.06" on the 2nd. At least we can now stop saying "it's hot for spring" and just say, "it's summer, it's supposed to be hot". Time for a nice, long bike ride on Friday.
1 likes   

Nederlander
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#353 Postby Nederlander » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:52 pm

wxman57 wrote:
South Texas Storms wrote:Finally got some rain here today...first time in weeks! Just under 0.50 inch of liquid gold this evening...I'm thankful! Hopefully all of us can get some beneficial rainfall with the weak frontal boundary early next week. I'm cautiously optimistic!

Got a whole 0.04" in SW Houston, almost as heavy as the 0.06" on the 2nd. At least we can now stop saying "it's hot for spring" and just say, "it's summer, it's supposed to be hot". Time for a nice, long bike ride on Friday.

This is ALL YOUR FAULT!

:grr:
9 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#354 Postby Brent » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:29 pm

There's some interesting EPS members in the Gulf towards the 4th of July with that African wave

It's very early in the season but if something can get to the Gulf it's definitely boiling
1 likes   
#neversummer

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#355 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:50 am

Nederlander wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

This is ALL YOUR FAULT!

I think of heat more when it's super humid and hot. We're going to need that rainfall to pickup so wxman57 can really have his revenge. Otherwise, it's just a dry heat and that's not true heat and oppression. :wink:
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#356 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:14 am

Daily SOI has fallen into the negatives today.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#357 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:13 am

Iceresistance wrote:Daily SOI has fallen into the negatives today.

A more Ninoesque reading?
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#358 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:08 pm

Nederlander wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

This is ALL YOUR FAULT!

I actually blame him for the year that shall forever be unnamed, but he stated that he left the thermostat too high that year. Sigh....
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#359 Postby Ntxw » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:45 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:Daily SOI has fallen into the negatives today.

A more Ninoesque reading?

It was a very weak -1s. Likely reflecting the cckw. Very strong trades is commencing the equatorial Pacific so the Nina base state is about to go into higher gear. So the negative reading like the other times thus far is only a day or two.
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#360 Postby Brent » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:27 pm

EPS is even more bullish today on something in the Gulf around 4th of July. Some very significant members
2 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”