Texas Summer 2022

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Summer 2022

#861 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:21 pm

Another 100F day at DFW. Record stretch of no measurable precip at the airport is now alone at #2 59 days including today.

SOI actually was trending pretty good in July, most of the month spent lower than June. However, August is starting HOT with very +SOI.

The worst of the heat is probably over for the coast. For the interior, general dry weather and continued 100F.

At least meteorological Fall is a month away.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#862 Postby Clearcloudz » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:43 pm

18Z GFS rainfall :spam:

3 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#863 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:19 pm

Brent wrote:
lukem wrote:
Brent wrote:
Yeah I'm having the same doubt but we have to remember it's still early. Many seasons have just flipped practically overnight in mid late August. The EPAC being so active has definitely shocked me though and yeah they have to stop

Wouldn't an active EPAC be good for Texas rain chances in the fall?

Yeah once we get into later September and October for sure

With westerlies an EPAC system is preferred as it turns a frontal rain event from 1-3" to 2-4+ with the upper and mid level moisture boost. Similar to what gulf systems often does for the southeast US and east coast. Late September and October is the best times for this.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#864 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:20 pm

Clearcloudz wrote:18Z GFS rainfall :spam:

https://i.imgur.com/5q6mQDx.png

Yes please! Where do I sign up?
1 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#865 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:21 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:Well, today is August 1st. Honestly, the weather is not bad at all for this time of year. In my area, temperatures have cooled from about 100 a month ago to low to mid-90s for highs. Perhaps we have passed the worst of summer now since in a few weeks, average highs will start decreasing.

On another note, I have not ever talked on here about my career goals, but I am moving to Starkville, Mississippi on the 12th to pursue my bachelor's degree in Professional Meteorology at Mississippi State! So, while I will not be living in Texas, I will still continue to track weather and converse with the community, but I will be busy taking more than a full load this fall. It will also be fun to track tornadoes and other weather while I am living there.

Good luck with your studies! Hope to see you have a blue tag here in a few years :wink:
3 likes   

869MB
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#866 Postby 869MB » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:40 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:Well, today is August 1st. Honestly, the weather is not bad at all for this time of year. In my area, temperatures have cooled from about 100 a month ago to low to mid-90s for highs. Perhaps we have passed the worst of summer now since in a few weeks, average highs will start decreasing.

On another note, I have not ever talked on here about my career goals, but I am moving to Starkville, Mississippi on the 12th to pursue my bachelor's degree in Professional Meteorology at Mississippi State! So, while I will not be living in Texas, I will still continue to track weather and converse with the community, but I will be busy taking more than a full load this fall. It will also be fun to track tornadoes and other weather while I am living there.

Good deal and great choice…Embrace the introductory and basic meteorological concepts because they will be the foundation you build upon as you advance deeper into the science. The same can be said for the math and physics introductory courses as well.
1 likes   

869MB
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#867 Postby 869MB » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:02 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Brent wrote:
lukem wrote:Wouldn't an active EPAC be good for Texas rain chances in the fall?

Yeah once we get into later September and October for sure

With westerlies an EPAC system is preferred as it turns a frontal rain event from 1-3" to 2-4+ with the upper and mid level moisture boost. Similar to what gulf systems often does for the southeast US and east coast. Late September and October is the best times for this.

I haven’t went back and officially checked, but it seems like these types of frontal events were more prevalent across Texas during the fall months when the negative velocity potential anomaly was centered more over the Western Atlantic and North & South American Continents in 1980’s and early 90’s which allowed for an active EPAC to last deeper into the E Pacific hurricane season and our fall months. Especially when this American standing wave was coupled with a warm ENSO which usually meant a more favorable pattern for EPAC tropical development…increasing chances of later season systems being picked up by mid-latitude troughs digging into the West Coast and Southwest US.
2 likes   

NXStumpy_Robothing
Category 1
Category 1

#868 Postby NXStumpy_Robothing » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:14 pm

Congrats on your acceptance to Mississippi State! As a fellow meteorology major I hope your academic journey doesn't involve a pandemic like mine has :P

If you've got any questions about it, feel free to hit me up. Good luck!
1 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student, Georgia Institute of Technology

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#869 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:34 pm

869MB wrote:

Good deal and great choice…Embrace the introductory and basic meteorological concepts because they will be the foundation you build upon as you advance deeper into the science. The same can be said for the math and physics introductory courses as well.

I am taking Calculus starting this fall, along with a weather lab, and a few other courses. I actually am transferring there as a junior, as I have already finished my associate degree at my community college. Originally, I was in State's BOMP program and finished 2/3 of the program, but I decided I would first focus on my associate degree and then come back later to work on my bachelor's there. Fortunately, I saved many notes from the weather courses I have already taken!
4 likes   

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#870 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:35 pm

Thank you all!
1 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#871 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:45 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
869MB wrote:

I am taking Calculus starting this fall, along with a weather lab, and a few other courses. I actually am transferring there as a junior, as I have already finished my associate degree at my community college. Originally, I was in State's BOMP program and finished 2/3 of the program, but I decided I would first focus on my associate degree and then come back later to work on my bachelor's there. Fortunately, I saved many notes from the weather courses I have already taken!

Good luck man! I'm also a meteorology major, seems like there's a few of us on here 8-)
2 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#872 Postby Portastorm » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:18 am

In case you missed it, we just wrapped up the warmest July on record for Camp Mabry (KATT). That comes after the warmest May and June on record. :cry:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Garnetcat5
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#873 Postby Garnetcat5 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:21 pm

What is this?
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#874 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:29 pm

Garnetcat5 wrote:

What is this?

The 18z GFS precipitation totals.
2 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#875 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:19 pm

I’m currently in Springfield, MO, expecting severe storms possible tomorrow.
2 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#876 Postby Ntxw » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:09 am

61 days and counting of no measurable precipitation for DFW. Any grassy area that isn't artificially watered is just about yellow and dead, looks and feels dry. This is the worst state we've been in a long while.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#877 Postby Edwards Limestone » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:19 am

Ntxw wrote:61 days and counting of no measurable precipitation for DFW. Any grassy area that isn't artificially watered is just about yellow and dead, looks and feels dry. This is the worst state we've been in a long while.

^^^^Not looking good

https://www.ksat.com/video/news/2022/08/02/fire-departments-battling-brush-fires-in-hill-country-/
Several fire departments are trying to get two grass fires under control in the Hill Country. A fire in Blanco County has scorched at least 250 acres on FM 165 near Las Colinas Drive. Evacuations have been requested and a shelter has opened at the Blanco Methodist Church. There is also a fire burning west north of Fredericksburg in Gillespie County.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/big-sky-fire-fredericksburg-gillespie-county-texas
FREDERICKSBURG, Texas - A large wildfire is burning north of Fredericksburg in Gillespie County.

The Texas A&M Forest Service says this fire, labeled the Big Sky Fire, is estimated to be 1,400 acres and 25% contained.

The fire continues to spread due to wind, terrain, and volatile juniper/oak fuel type, says the Forest Service.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Big-Sky-Fire-closes-Enchanted-Rock-17348034.php
A massive 1,400-acre wildfire called "Big Sky Fire" caused the temporary closure of one of San Antonio's most popular area state parks, Enchanted Rock State National Area. The large wildfire is burning north of Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, according to the Texas A&M Forest Service.
The Fredericksburg natural area posted about its closure on its social media channels on Tuesday, August 2. Enchanted Rock noted that it wouldn't be open to the public on Wednesday, August 3. The park did not disclose when it would open back up. It added to check back on its social media channel for updates.

As of 5 a.m. Wednesday, the "Big Sky Fire" is an estimated 1,400 acres and 25% is contained, according to the Texas A&M Forest Service. Officials said the fire continues to spread due to wind, terrain, and volatile juniper and oak fuel type. Bulldozers are engaged while engine crews focus on suppression and structure protection.

The fire began just after noon on Tuesday, about eight miles north of Fredericksburg, according to the Forest Service. Local authorities have requested that the public avoid the area around Eckert Road and Lower Crabapple Road. Around 40 residents have been evacuated, according to an incident overview from the Forest Service.

0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#878 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:59 pm

A novelty and I didn’t see a 2022-2023 winter thread so I l’ll post it here because I think we’re all sick of this summer.
2022-2023 Winter
1 likes   
#neversummer

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#879 Postby bubba hotep » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:38 pm

Ntxw wrote:61 days and counting of no measurable precipitation for DFW. Any grassy area that isn't artificially watered is just about yellow and dead, looks and feels dry. This is the worst state we've been in a long while.

This is a bit splitting hairs, but if you look at station data from across the DFW area there are plenty of measurable rainfall reports from the last 61 days and the airport has just had bad luck. Now, with that said, most all the reporting stations are below 1" over the last 61 days, so like I said, this is a bit semantics.

Now, on the other hand, don't fail me now Euro! (Even though the last rainfall event ended up farther north than what the Euro was originally showing)

5 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#880 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:57 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:A novelty and I didn’t see a 2022-2023 winter thread so I l’ll post it here because I think we’re all sick of this summer.
2022-2023 Winter
https://i.ibb.co/ZVg3ySd/3-DA11-F2-D-DE5-E-4814-919-D-F4-CE995-AE1-A0.jpg

I just did :wink:

https://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopi ... 2&t=122811
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”