Texas Summer 2022

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Summer 2022

#801 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:16 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:
Usually August 1-10 is the hottest time for my area in climatology. I think we're going to have to watch out for Gulf activity afterwards though. Unlike 2011, this ridge is not sitting in one location all summer.

Sincere question since I am not familiar with the Atlantic history that much, of the hot summers regionwide how many of them featured a tropical hit to TX? Right now region is top 5 warmest 1952, 1954, 1980, 1998, and 2011 are the DFW years.

Off the top of my head, '98 had one. I dont think 2011.
We need the high to slip to the east, so the TC's can slip underneath the ridge towards Texas. I always joke, a Texas farmers dream is for a "weak depression to come in and sit on the state for a few days," but of course rarely happens. Unfortunately, this is just how Nina is. It's terrible. Almost to August. One more month of terrible heat for yall.

It's been a broad heat so far. How's it like going through Denver's hottest month on record so far? :lol:. 78.9 currently is tied for July 2012 which is the top dog up there.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#802 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:29 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:
Usually August 1-10 is the hottest time for my area in climatology. I think we're going to have to watch out for Gulf activity afterwards though. Unlike 2011, this ridge is not sitting in one location all summer.

Sincere question since I am not familiar with the Atlantic history that much, of the hot summers regionwide how many of them featured a tropical hit to TX? Right now region is top 5 warmest 1952, 1954, 1980, 1998, and 2011 are the DFW years.

We need the high to slip to the east, so the TC's can slip underneath the ridge towards Texas. I always joke, a Texas farmers dream is for a "weak depression to come in and sit on the state for a few days," but of course rarely happens. Unfortunately, this is just how Nina is. It's terrible. Almost to August. One more month of terrible heat for yall.

I checked and it turns out 1998 had 2: Tropical Storms Charley and Frances.

Edit: I also looked at the years 1952 and 1954. 1952 had 0 TC impacts, but 1954 did feature a big rain event from Hurricane Alice. Part of the state was also impacted from Tropical Storm Barbara in late July. So, of the years presented, 60% featured impacts from one or more TCs. I would say we have a pretty good chance this year!
2 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#803 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:55 pm

Ntxw wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

It's been a broad heat so far. How's it like going through Denver's hottest month on record so far? :lol:. 78.9 currently is tied for July 2012 which is the top dog up there.

Is it the hottest month on record so far? I didnt know that. Yes, it's been "hot" though. Lol. Its a dry heat, and everyday except two or three days, clouds or storms roll in by 1 pm. So, we get a reprieve in the afternoon. Something to note, the A/C units are smaller here, so it takes hours to get the temp down in the house. Still learning lots of interesting little things.

Many have said the "storms" in the afternoon almost everyday is unusual here. I've seen rain almost everyday since i returned from houston at the end of june but only seen the concrete wet 3 or 4 times. I'm loving it though. Ready for a nino winter here though.

Edit: After yesterdays storms, temps crashed to 60F here near the foothills. Had the windows open last night. Lemme tell ya, after living in TX all my life, nothing like windows open in July.
Last edited by TeamPlayersBlue on Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#804 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:57 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

Edit: I also looked at the years 1952 and 1954. 1952 had 0 TC impacts, but 1954 did feature a big rain event from Hurricane Alice. Part of the state was also impacted from Tropical Storm Barbara in late July. So, of the years presented, 60% featured impacts from one or more TCs. I would say we have a pretty good chance this year!

I remember Frances. Think it was like a 90 mph storm in Sept iirc. Watching this Nina and the GOM being like a bath tub concerns me for late season events. Thank goodness the upper levels have not been good for storms yet. I'm afraid that will eventually end.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Haddox12
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#805 Postby Haddox12 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:41 pm

Guys I need something to look forward to - this heat is breaking me.

On average, when is the first true real cold front? I’m thinking like October 10ish.

77 days :)
0 likes   

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#806 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:11 pm

Haddox12 wrote:Guys I need something to look forward to - this heat is breaking me.

On average, when is the first true real cold front? I’m thinking like October 10ish.

77 days :)

I think the average is around mid-September (at least in my area). I would love to see a high around 80 and low of 60 or cooler.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#807 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:53 pm

Ntxw wrote:Today will be DFW's 8th 100F reading matching the total for all of last year in a single month. Tomorrow if the forecast holds should be the 9th. That's where it will likely hold off given the forecast which will place June in 3rd all time most 100F days.

DFW airport had some string of luck the past two weeks. There were many 99F days where if it were less than a degree warmer in theory could have been 14 days and set a new record.

Extended analogs suggest increased risk of above normal through July, I'm going to make a guess DFW may see >20 days of 100F for the month. Since a similar ridging pattern as June in July yields higher temps.

This was back in June. Today is DFW's 21st and the forecast has 3-4 more. Should have upped a bit given the pattern at the time to ~25. Total this summer so far is 30 days of 100F+.

August is a little more difficult the first two weeks is almost surely to be another ~14 days, if the ridge is slow to break down it can easily double. The last week or so climo starts coming down pretty good. The SOI did come down a bit from its record streak so that may help out later on. I'll guess another ~20 days of 100F or more at DFW.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#808 Postby jasons2k » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:13 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:

I remember Frances. Think it was like a 90 mph storm in Sept iirc. Watching this Nina and the GOM being like a bath tub concerns me for late season events. Thank goodness the upper levels have not been good for storms yet. I'm afraid that will eventually end.

I was here in Houston during Frances. It was a sheared slopfest - nowhere close to 90mph (it was 65mph at its peak). At the time I lived in the inner-loop and experienced my first big-time Houston flood. I was stuck at a gas station for about 4 hours and then managed to make it back home after they finally shut the city down.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#809 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:30 pm

A brush fire today in Balch Springs spread and destroyed several homes and damaged 20+. Conditions are bad out there if it doesn't rain, will only get worse until it does. We go back and forth here about worse/not worse is academic but real life ramification is dangerous. Be careful with any dry brush. Regardless of what the upper ridges do, there is a lower level thermal ridge in place providing subsidence and general soil that is getting progressively worse. It won't take much to spark.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/balch-springs-grass-fire-spreading-to-homes/287-133500fc-e00d-402d-a0d3-f602404974c7
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#810 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:25 pm

Ntxw wrote:A brush fire today in Balch Springs spread and destroyed several homes and damaged 20+. Conditions are bad out there if it doesn't rain, will only get worse until it does. We go back and forth here about worse/not worse is academic but real life ramification is dangerous. Be careful with any dry brush. Regardless of what the upper ridges do, there is a lower level thermal ridge in place providing subsidence and general soil that is getting progressively worse. It won't take much to spark.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/balch-springs-grass-fire-spreading-to-homes/287-133500fc-e00d-402d-a0d3-f602404974c7

Yeah. I have a pile of debris I need to burn, but it's too dry right now to take care of it. The grass at my place has tried to die about 5 times this year and it might finally do it if it doesn't rain this week. Most years, it stays green year-round. I will be glad when this pattern returns to normal or wetter. I just hope it doesn't involve a hurricane to get there.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#811 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:20 am

4 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#812 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:38 am

Today will be our 40th day over 100.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#813 Postby Edwards Limestone » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:39 am

1 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#814 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:39 am

This is the RRR (Ridiculously Resilient Ridge), but it's in Texas. :(
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#815 Postby jasons2k » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:33 pm

This update came out a couple of hours ago from Jeff Lindner:

Unlike the past several weeks…temperatures will be slightly “cooler” this week and there will be a chance of daily showers and thunderstorms.

Mid and upper level ridge is centered over the southern plains this morning, but is just far enough inland that tropical moisture is sliding NW toward the TX coast. Radar shows scattered showers and thunderstorms across the offshore waters and a few have moved inland over the coastal counties this morning. As temperatures warm into the low to mid 90’s showers and thunderstorms will develop along the inland moving seabreeze boundary. Slightly better rain chances will be in the forecast on Wednesday as tropical moisture moves slightly further inland and this will again promote a favorable air mass for heating to develop showers and storms along the seabreeze front. Activity will encounter the subsidence from the ridge toward the NW so inland areas (north of I-10 and west of I-45) will likely not see as much coverage as near coastal areas.

Rain chances remains daily in the 20-30% range through the end of the week with temperatures in the mid to upper 90’s except low 100’s across the very dry Brazos Valley area.

Fire Weather:
There were several fire starts on Sunday and Monday over the region, even with weather conditions well below Red Flag criteria. This is a testament to just how dry the fuel loads have become with significant stress in the ladder (medium) and canopy (large) fuel loads. Fires continue to show aggressive and extreme behavior and have required significant resources for containment. Overall weather conditions are not in the critical range (low humidity and gusty winds) for fire growth, but the dead and dying fuel loads are helping to make up for the lack of favorable weather conditions and allowing fire starts and spread.

Grimes 4285 Fire: 100 acres and 95% contained. Fire started yesterday afternoon near Hwy 90 and FM 36 in northern Grimes County near the town of Singleton. Air support from TFS helped ground crews bring the fire under control by early evening.

Waller County: 80 acres and 100% contained. Fire started from a hay bailing machine near FM 362 and Stockdick Rd. Numerous fire departments were able to bring the fire under control by early evening.

Nelson Creek Fire: 1911 acres and 100% contained after 7 days. TFS and TAMU flew a heat seeking drone over the fire burn scare yesterday to find any hot spots and indicated that the burned area had cooled and released control back to local FD’s.

Tropics:
No significant features of concern across the Atlantic basin, but atmospheric conditions look to become increasingly favorable for tropical development over the next few weeks as is common in early August.

Jeff Lindner
Director Hydrologic Operations Division/Meteorologist
Harris County Flood Control District
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#816 Postby bubba hotep » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:15 pm

Should pretty easily hit 2nd place unless the airport picks up a trace of rain this weekend.
1 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#817 Postby Edwards Limestone » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:39 am

0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#818 Postby jasons2k » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:15 pm

I have had three different decent looking storms head to my doorstep and then promptly fall apart just before raining here. This is getting really old. Some day folks - I will be on the Florida thread instead.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#819 Postby Brent » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:13 pm

I'm under a severe thunderstorm warning with a high of 83 on Saturday :spam:
0 likes   
#neversummer

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#820 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:31 pm

jasons2k wrote:I have had three different decent looking storms head to my doorstep and then promptly fall apart just before raining here. This is getting really old. Some day folks - I will be on the Florida thread instead.

What's funny is that a lot of people on the Florida thread are complaining about it being too dry as well. They are saying it's going to take a TC to break this cycle. Sound familiar?
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”