Texas Fall 2022

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Texas Fall 2022

#1 Postby Texas Snowman » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:04 am

Well, as Ntxw alluded to yesterday, we’re now within a month of the start of meteorological fall.

So with that, here it is, one of my favorite threads of the year, the official Texas Fall 2022 thread. We’ll move over there in a few weeks on the opening day of dove season, on September 1st, when the meteorological autumn season finally begins. (Good riddance Summer 2022!!!)

Hopefully, our upcoming discussions will include some very beneficial fall rainfall across Texas, some strong and early cool fronts pushing through, and no lingering summertime heat.

We can all dream, right? :D
6 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Texas Fall 2022

#2 Postby wxman57 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:37 am

Texas Snowman wrote:Well, as Ntxw alluded to yesterday, we’re now within a month of the start of meteorological fall.

So with that, here it is, one of my favorite threads of the year, the official Texas Fall 2022 thread. We’ll move over there in a few weeks on the opening day of dove season, on September 1st, when the meteorological autumn season finally begins. (Good riddance Summer 2022!!!)

Hopefully, our upcoming discussions will include some very beneficial fall rainfall across Texas, some strong and early cool fronts pushing through, and no lingering summertime heat.

We can all dream, right? :D

I will agree that 5+ hour bike rides are somewhat less enjoyable when the temperature is above 100 degrees. I can take it, but my wife cannot. I've enjoyed the cooler high temps over the past week (97-98F). I did record just over 3 inches of rain in July, mainly because the storms tended to concentrate in SW Houston. The rest of the city didn't get nearly as much rain. The high of 104F was just a little too warm a few weeks ago. I'd like to see high temps in the 85-90 degree range for optimum cycling enjoyment. Once the daily highs are closer to 90, we can resume our 40+ mile bike rides up to The Heights in NW Houston for lunch. Typically, the first cold front arrives in southeast Texas around September 21-28. Another 7 weeks to go.
3 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#3 Postby Ntxw » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:53 am

There are two forks with -ENSO (I'm including cold neutrals to widen the analogs pool in the beginning). The early analogs start the same, early Fall begins hot that stays above normal. Nov-Dec for the third+ year events turns cold (2000, 2013, etc). We shouldn't see another hot December this year. There are some subtle correlations between hot July/August is a signal for cooler Decembers, vice versa using DFW's metrics.

For the precip front I'm afraid the news isn't that good. Fall in a Nina is a strong signal for dry weather dominating. There will be some rainfall with the change in seasons but unless some big tropical event occurs, we'll continue the theme of more deficits than surpluses.
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:26 pm

I don't think I've ever been more excited for fall than I am this year. This summer has been brutal. The first cold front can't get here soon enough.
2 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:48 pm

Ntxw wrote:There are two forks with -ENSO (I'm including cold neutrals to widen the analogs pool in the beginning). The early analogs start the same, early Fall begins hot that stays above normal. Nov-Dec for the third+ year events turns cold (2000, 2013, etc). We shouldn't see another hot December this year. There are some subtle correlations between hot July/August is a signal for cooler Decembers, vice versa using DFW's metrics.

For the precip front I'm afraid the news isn't that good. Fall in a Nina is a strong signal for dry weather dominating. There will be some rainfall with the change in seasons but unless some big tropical event occurs, we'll continue the theme of more deficits than surpluses.

Youre much more experienced in this than i am, but I also want to start incorporating not only the static SST's, but also where they are trending at that moment. Models are predicting Nina to start transitioning towards a neutral state. Are there winters similar to this type of state? Starting to realize the importance of not only the current static temps, but where the temps are trending. (Trending temps indicating what the winds are in those areas.)
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:00 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
Ntxw wrote:There are two forks with -ENSO (I'm including cold neutrals to widen the analogs pool in the beginning). The early analogs start the same, early Fall begins hot that stays above normal. Nov-Dec for the third+ year events turns cold (2000, 2013, etc). We shouldn't see another hot December this year. There are some subtle correlations between hot July/August is a signal for cooler Decembers, vice versa using DFW's metrics.

Youre much more experienced in this than i am, but I also want to start incorporating not only the static SST's, but also where they are trending at that moment. Models are predicting Nina to start transitioning towards a neutral state. Are there winters similar to this type of state? Starting to realize the importance of not only the current static temps, but where the temps are trending. (Trending temps indicating what the winds are in those areas.)

For ENSO we are only good out a couple of months. Fall and early winter transitions favor strengthening of whichever ENSO state is dominant. Right now trades are ripping in the eq pacific with a growing cold pool beneath. Likely this event will peak NDJ and weaken February. It's looking like -1.5C-1.7C is certainly attainable so this may be the strongest of the 3 Ninas so far. I think there will be a hard switch from hot to cold sometime late Fall similar to 2000 and 2013 with familiar ascending high sunspot solar cycle as those two years.

There are no WWBs (west winds) in the viewable forecast to halt the deepening of the current Nina state yet.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:09 am

"The most recent year on record where the Atlantic basin did not see a hurricane until the month of September was 2013."

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1 ... 4990405634
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby SoupBone » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:37 pm

Fall is coming! I "feel" it already starting to transition!
3 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:00 am

Bring it!! #neversummer
3 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby SoupBone » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:26 pm

My trees are already starting their yearly Fall routine. I hope this is a sign of the slow switch to Fall.
2 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby Brent » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:04 pm

SoupBone wrote:My trees are already starting their yearly Fall routine. I hope this is a sign of the slow switch to Fall.

Tbh with my forecast it's pretty much already fall no sign of any extreme heat coming back and lots of rain chances
3 likes   
#neversummer

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby TropicalTundra » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:17 am

Tomorrow's the first day of meteorological fall! Sweater season is on the horizon :spam: :jacket:
4 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby Brent » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:07 pm

TropicalTundra wrote:Tomorrow's the first day of meteorological fall! Sweater season is on the horizon :spam: :jacket:

So ready to feel some crisp fall air
4 likes   
#neversummer

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:27 am

Welcome to September! :D
4 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#15 Postby Clearcloudz » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:06 am

Texas drought improved a lot. Could see even more reduction as the models are showing a lot of juice for Texas this weekend and next week.

5 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby gpsnowman » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:54 am

Brent wrote:
TropicalTundra wrote:Tomorrow's the first day of meteorological fall! Sweater season is on the horizon :spam: :jacket:

So ready to feel some crisp fall air

Agreed. I am enjoying the current pattern but in a few weeks the first true fall front will make its way down and we can open the windows at night.
3 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#17 Postby jasons2k » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:57 am

This came from Jeff earlier this morning:

Periods of heavy rainfall likely over the next 4-5 days.

Wet pattern that started in early August will continue as same features continue to come together to produce scattered to numerous rains across the area. Rain chances will begin to increase today and especially on Friday and into the holiday weekend as a weak frontal boundary, deep tropical moisture, and several disturbances aloft move across the region.

Moisture remains in the 90th percentile for early September early this morning with PWS of 2.2-2.4 inches over the area. With modest heating, expect scattered storms to develop by mid to late morning. Heavy rainfall will be possible along with frequent lightning. Frontal boundary begins to approach from the N/NE on Friday and expect a gradual increase in storm frequency and organization as this boundary sinks into the area and stalls over the weekend.

Forecast soundings over the weekend suggest a very tropical air mass with PWS approaching 2.5 inches over the area and a saturated deep layer up to 15,000ft will support excessive rainfall rates of 2-4 inches per hour. Slow storm motions and/or cell training could anchor these type of rainfall rates over areas leading to flash flooding. There is cause for some concern with a stalling boundary over the area that could help organize slow moving storms. There is little confidence on where any issues may happen, but the holiday weekend is looking wet.

Aside: for those heading to the Hill Country or SW TX this weekend, high rain chances and similar flood threat will be in place for this part of Texas. Grounds have become increasingly saturated over the last few weeks, and with potential rainfall rates of 2-3 inches per hour, significant rises and flash floods on normally dry or slowly flowing creeks and rivers will be possible. Remain aware of the weather and be prepared to act quickly if near creeks and rivers in the Hilly Country or SW TX this weekend.

Grounds are starting to become wet over the area, especially west of I-45 where rainfall of 1-5 inches has occurred over the last few days. Not expecting widespread flooding, but increasing run-off will be possible this weekend with high rainfall rates. Think the biggest threat will be street flooding as is usual under rainfall rates of 2-3 inches per hour. Will have to watch daily trends to see if the flood threat at any particular time or location is greater on some days.

WPC has placed much of the area under a slight risk for flash flooding for the weekend.

Tropics:

There are several areas of interest over the Atlantic, but these will be no threat to the Gulf of Mexico.

Jeff Lindner
4 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby gpsnowman » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Getting a heavy tropical downpour here in Irving. No wind with huge drops falling straight down. Beautiful to watch.
Edit: Well it is over and the sun is out. :D
4 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:05 pm

Showers here, strongly thinking of a 2nd wave later today.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby Rgv20 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:09 pm

September is the wettest month for the Rio Grande Valley...Don't disappoint us September!
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”