Texas Fall 2022

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Fall 2022

#161 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:26 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:
Doea this mean (in this case) the higher positive number means likely drier?

And if the number were lower/negative number, it means likely wetter (at least for TX/OK)?

I guess the 90 day trend is more the long-term trend?

I'm guessing the latest number is bad for rain in our areas. Just educating myself. Water is a precious thing these days.

SOI is an ENSO proxy. When it is consistently negative, Texas is generally in wet pattern. When consistently positive it is a dry pattern. When you get spikes either way expect a little more extreme (+30/-30 is my general rule for major spikes). When the index has a big swing one way or another then there is likely a pattern shift on the way regarding precip. This is regarding daily values.

30-90 day tells you overall El Nino or La Nina state. Positive being La Nina conditions and negative being El Nino.

September is spiking positive and staying there.

Yeah, it's now above +30 for daily SOI.

Bummer. :cry:
I figured so (hoping it wasn't true). I wish there were a "dislike" button.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#162 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:59 pm

Jeez, it only fell to 75°F last night.

It's currently 95°F and could be the high temperature for today.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#163 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:15 pm

2000 of Sept we had a death ridge. I think that ridge brought all time record highs to much of Texas. Especially SE Tx.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#164 Postby TropicalTundra » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:26 pm

End of the CMC basically brings an entire climate change where highs suddenly struggle to reach above 80 and night lows reach mid-high 50s. Unfortunately it doesn't look plausible with how many other models disagree :( . Hopefully we get a change with rain and temps soon, we desperately do not a summer repeat.
0 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#165 Postby Ntxw » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:29 pm

TropicalTundra wrote:End of the CMC basically brings an entire climate change where highs suddenly struggle to reach above 80 and night lows reach mid-high 50s. Unfortunately it doesn't look plausible with how many other models disagree :( . Hopefully we get a change with rain and temps soon, we desperately do not a summer repeat.

Extended -ENSO analogs (beyond 2nd year going into 3rd or more cold enso) do not favor a wholesale regime change until late Fall. They tend to flip hard though sometime in November. I would keep expectations tame that even October may actually end up warm relative to averages.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

dpep4
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#166 Postby dpep4 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:48 pm

NOAA and at least 1 TV met are showing a front next Sunday, dropping next week's highs for DFW into the 80's.

And for those whining about heat, at least we don't have big earthquakes. 7.6 off Mazanillo today, can't confirm this tweet is from it, but it's impressive:

https://twitter.com/ArelyVmart/status/1571971138271547392

And we don't have volcanoes:

https://twitter.com/wonderofscience/status/1571857311962103808

This is not a time-lapse video. Amazing footage of a river of lava moving at an incredible speed captured by photographer Ken Boyer.

Ain't gonna outrun that....
2 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#167 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:50 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:2000 of Sept we had a death ridge. I think that ridge brought all time record highs to much of Texas. Especially SE Tx.

I remember that year 2000. It got to a record 112(?) In San Antonio the day I proposed to my wife on the Riverwalk. It was a dry heat, but stifling like an oven, especially in long pants!
3 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#168 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:51 pm

Ntxw wrote:
TropicalTundra wrote:End of the CMC basically brings an entire climate change where highs suddenly struggle to reach above 80 and night lows reach mid-high 50s. Unfortunately it doesn't look plausible with how many other models disagree :( . Hopefully we get a change with rain and temps soon, we desperately do not a summer repeat.

Extended -ENSO analogs (beyond 2nd year going into 3rd or more cold enso) do not favor a wholesale regime change until late Fall. They tend to flip hard though sometime in November. I would keep expectations tame that even October may actually end up warm relative to averages.

Another sweaty Halloween.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#169 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:04 pm

Here's something to look forward to. :wink:

5 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#170 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:18 am

This is ridiculous for September, it's currently 80°F right now.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

cstrunk
Category 1
Category 1

#171 Postby cstrunk » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:56 am

It's certainly hot during the day, but when the sun goes down there's still relief, unlike how it felt in July/early August. Mid-upper 80's with lows in the low 60's are back in the forecast for Monday/Tuesday. I can deal with that. Could sure use some rain though. Getting closer to real fall weather with every day...
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#172 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:34 am

cstrunk wrote:It's certainly hot during the day, but when the sun goes down there's still relief, unlike how it felt in July/early August. Mid-upper 80's with lows in the low 60's are back in the forecast for Monday/Tuesday. I can deal with that. Could sure use some rain though. Getting closer to real fall weather with every day...

I noticed when I was outside watering this morning, it was in the 70s, but it felt different from July/August in the morning, slightly more Fall feel(?). It was like it felt more "crisp", even though it was humid. Hard to describe. It wasn't oppressive, but more on the tolerable side compared to earlier in the Summer. I could tell there was a change in the air. Sunlight feels slightly less intense, even in this latest heat wave. Not scorching.
1 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#173 Postby rwfromkansas » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:55 am

I need to put preemergent down and technically should have a few weeks ago but due to the heat it really doesn't matter. The weeds won't germinate until we have true fall weather. I hate going out there when it's this hot, but I refuse to pay for a lawn service to do it since we had just as many weeds with one as without.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#174 Postby Portastorm » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:59 am

weatherdude1108 wrote:
cstrunk wrote:It's certainly hot during the day, but when the sun goes down there's still relief, unlike how it felt in July/early August. Mid-upper 80's with lows in the low 60's are back in the forecast for Monday/Tuesday. I can deal with that. Could sure use some rain though. Getting closer to real fall weather with every day...

I noticed when I was outside watering this morning, it was in the 70s, but it felt different from July/August in the morning, slightly more Fall feel(?). It was like it felt more "crisp", even though it was humid. Hard to describe. It wasn't oppressive, but more on the tolerable side compared to earlier in the Summer. I could tell there was a change in the air. Sunlight feels slightly less intense, even in this latest heat wave. Not scorching.

Let me know if you're still feeling "it" come this Friday here when it's 101. :wink:
4 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#175 Postby Edwards Limestone » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:29 am

3 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#176 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:30 am

Portastorm wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:

Let me know if you're still feeling "it" come this Friday here when it's 101. :wink:

:uarrow:
:lol: Yeah, probably feel different then. Maybe it's the drier feel to the heat, kind of like a humid El Paso.lol I dunno. Sometimes I feel like the human barometer. :D
1 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#177 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:39 am

Very cool! Although I wonder if there could be a "lag" effect in the pattern switch. The atmosphere has to catch up with the oceans, so may not get significant rains until Fall of 2023(?). But I don't know.

I thought Ntxw alluded to the atmosphere acting like El Nino back when La Nina started because the ocean/atmosphere lag time(?)/catch-up effect. Kind of like the hottest/coolest temperatures in August/February instead of the Summer/Winter Solstice in June/December because of the lag time of the heating/cooling effects of land (moreso of a lag in the oceans since they take longer to heat/cool)(?).

Been the opposite case this Summer with August temps/dryness in June/July, and a "cooler/wetter" August. :roll:

Anyway, I really do hope the ENSO lag theory is wrong! Wet and cool is a good thing! Just been burned so many times this year with false hopes.
3 likes   

cstrunk
Category 1
Category 1

#178 Postby cstrunk » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:16 pm

Portastorm wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:

True. I think it has to do with less radiated heat coming from outside objects, since it was cooler the last few weeks. In July/August, you had weeks on end of upper 90's/100's and everything got hot - the ground, concrete, buildings. So when you went outside at night, all that heat was still radiating from those objects. You don't have that as bad right now. Maybe by the end of the week it will be different (back to oppressive at night), but I still don't think it will be quite as bad.
1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#179 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:36 am

Cold Front coming through right now! :D
2 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#180 Postby rwfromkansas » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:12 am

Not looking good even into the first full week of October. Ugh.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”