Texas Fall 2022

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Fall 2022

#81 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:23 pm

Cells still firing over FTW.

2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#82 Postby rwfromkansas » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:26 pm

Nice cell over me again. Some hail but very small luckily. May get another inch.
5 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#83 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:26 pm

Wife and I took a long walk at Campion Trail in Irving and saw the most beautiful sunset. We could see the clouds and lightning to the east and west of us. Purples and oranges all around us. It's the simple things that make one love weather and nature.
5 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#84 Postby rwfromkansas » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:56 pm

Wow; 1.55. Quite the storm after a half inch yesterday. Nasty hail just west.
3 likes   

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#85 Postby TropicalTundra » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:01 pm

CMC and GFS (and maybe ICON) models are considering some possible cooler low temperatures with mid-upper 50's possible for Texas and Oklahoma next week. It's not cold-front type temperatures with blazing north winds throughout the day but it's definitely a start in model shifts. :D
2 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#86 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:27 pm

Yep, what I was afraid of. Background state not on our side for rain and cool temps.

Hoping this forecast BUSTS. :wink:

0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

lukem
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#87 Postby lukem » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:00 pm

Crazy that it was showing the complete opposite as recently as last week. Hopefully we see another reversal!
4 likes   

dpep4
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#88 Postby dpep4 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:22 pm

Sunny, very pleasant mid-60's to upper 50's dewpoints, and highs in the 89-91 range for the next week in DFW? Heck yes I'll take that, that's barely hot.

Finally don't have to wait until almost sundown to walk or bike (without rain or lightning risk).
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#89 Postby Brent » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:39 am

dpep4 wrote:Sunny, very pleasant mid-60's to upper 50's dewpoints, and highs in the 89-91 range for the next week in DFW? Heck yes I'll take that, that's barely hot.

Finally don't have to wait until almost sundown to walk or bike (without rain or lightning risk).

Yeah it's definitely been better up here. We've had 60s most mornings and barely getting to 90 and it's really only hot at the very peak of the afternoon. That coupled with the early sunsets now it's definitely different than it was in July. I do food delivery most days and after 5-6pm you really start to notice a difference whereas back in July it felt like it would never cool off(and well usually it didn't ... I can still remember the airport being near 90 degrees a few times after 10pm :double: )
0 likes   
#neversummer

cstrunk
Category 1
Category 1

#90 Postby cstrunk » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:21 am

A nice cluster of morning thunderstorms in ETX gave me 0.96". Now for a week or more of sunny dry weather. The grass is really going to get going again after these recent rains and now plenty of sun on the way! I just hope the dry pattern doesn't last too long.
1 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#91 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:35 am

lukem wrote:

Crazy that it was showing the complete opposite as recently as last week. Hopefully we see another reversal!

I know. I don't know what happened(?). :double: All the weather guy said was that they originally thought the low pressure over Texas was going to get cut off and hang out in TX for a week or more, giving us a nother several inches possibly. They talked about Pacific moisture being fed in by the tropical systems in the Pacific, along with stalled boundaries to fuel it more. But they said the low opened up and moved east after all. along with the western death ridge amplifying, moving the tropical systems west away from the Mexican coast. The pattern had a mind of its own. Ugh.

I did notice with each passing half day, the 7-day totals kept inching down with each forecast. That's when I wondered how much more (if anything) we would actually get. I think there are some people around Central Texas (and other parts of Texas) that didn't get much if anything the past couple weeks, at least nothing "agriculturally/horticulturally significant", much less hydrologically.

Gotta love the weather! I don't know if I can believe these long-term forecasts anymore.
:spam:
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

lukem
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#92 Postby lukem » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:49 am

weatherdude1108 wrote:
lukem wrote:

I know. I don't know what happened(?). :double: All the weather guy said was that they originally thought the low pressure over Texas was going to get cut off and hang out in TX for a week or more, giving us a nother several inches possibly. They talked about Pacific moisture being fed in by the tropical systems in the Pacific, along with stalled boundaries to fuel it more. But they said the low opened up and moved east after all. along with the western death ridge amplifying, moving the tropical systems west away from the Mexican coast. The pattern had a mind of its own. Ugh.

I did notice with each passing half day, the 7-day totals kept inching down with each forecast. That's when I wondered how much more (if anything) we would actually get. I think there are some people around Central Texas (and other parts of Texas) that didn't get much if anything the past couple weeks, at least nothing "agriculturally/horticulturally significant", much less hydrologically.

Gotta love the weather! I don't know if I can believe these long-term forecasts anymore.

It looks like the CPC is giving us another shot in Weeks 3-4. Hope it holds! We have a place in west central Texas, and we definitely missed out on the big rain, although we probably got enough to get our grass growing again. Another rain event in September would really help us out.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#93 Postby jasons2k » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:48 am

Hot off the presses from Jeff Lindner.

This is why I was complaining - even though I saw some drought relief, not nearly as much as my neighbors, or IAH, or as much as I needed for sustained relief. Every drop matters in a La Nina year!! Maybe we'll get something today to help us out - prefer to not have it hail though.

Strong or isolated severe thunderstorms will be possible this afternoon and evening across the region.

A strong upper level disturbance moving southward over NW LA and NE TX currently is producing a cluster of strong thunderstorms over NE TX. Air mass south of this activity is heating and with surface temperatures increasing into the low to mid 90’s by early to mid afternoon, high instability will be in place to support this activity SW into SE TX. Expect scattered to numerous showers and thunderstorms to develop and push SW across the area being helped with lift from the disturbance aloft. Main hazards will be frequent lightning, gusty winds, and very heavy rainfall. Soundings do show some modestly dry sub cloud layers and this could help support gusty wind or downbursts. Activity may linger in an isolated fashion into the late night hours as energy aloft moves over the area.

Overall pattern change aloft will develop into the weekend and next week with flat upper level ridge of high pressure building from the western US into the southern plains. This will effectively end the ongoing wet pattern of late and reduce rain chances into the 20% or less category from Friday onward into next week.

A weak frontal boundary may approach the region late this weekend and help to usher in an even drier air mass. Low temperatures early next week may fall well into the 60’s east of I-45 and north of I-10 and near 70 over much of the area as dewpoints fall into the 60’s with dry northerly flow at the surface and aloft.

August ended with 8.58 inches of rainfall at BUSH IAH which is the wettest month we have had since January 2022 (9.42 inches). In fact we had more rain in August than for the months of April-July (7.77. inches).

Drought condition have seen a dramatic improvement over much of the area over the last 30 days with a complete removal of the exceptional drought levels west of the Brazos River and significant improvements over Liberty, Harris, Montgomery, San Jacinto, and Walker Counties. While significant improvements have occurred, drought still remains over much of the state and rainfall forecasts over the next week are low with a fairly dry pattern in place.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#94 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:21 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
lukem wrote:

Rain chances for my area were really high ever since the wetter pattern started maybe what, 3 weeks ago? Altogether I picked up about 6” in that time period. So I’m sitting at about 16” for the year now which is still well below normal. I was near 40” last year around this time. But back to what I was saying about the high chances. They failed to deliver here on most days. Yeah I got 6” but most of that came in like 3 or 4 separate events. It just seems like I should’ve gotten more than that. And this past week the WPC had my area down for 3-5” and I got absolutely nothing. And now the switch flipped over the weekend really fast. Just a few days ago the CPC had much of the state still experiencing the wetter pattern through the middle of this month in their 8-14 day outlook. What a weird and abrupt pattern flip back to warm and dry. Overall for me personally, the wetter pattern was on the underwhelming side. I’m thankful for what I got but I’m let down because so many high rain chances didn’t really deliver. Now we go back to our regularly scheduled programming. What we just had was a tease. At least for me.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#95 Postby Ntxw » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:38 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
Rain chances for my area were really high ever since the wetter pattern started maybe what, 3 weeks ago? Altogether I picked up about 6” in that time period. So I’m sitting at about 16” for the year now which is still well below normal. I was near 40” last year around this time. But back to what I was saying about the high chances. They failed to deliver here on most days. Yeah I got 6” but most of that came in like 3 or 4 separate events. It just seems like I should’ve gotten more than that. And this past week the WPC had my area down for 3-5” and I got absolutely nothing. And now the switch flipped over the weekend really fast. Just a few days ago the CPC had much of the state still experiencing the wetter pattern through the middle of this month in their 8-14 day outlook. What a weird and abrupt pattern flip back to warm and dry. Overall for me personally, the wetter pattern was on the underwhelming side. I’m thankful for what I got but I’m let down because so many high rain chances didn’t really deliver. Now we go back to our regularly scheduled programming. What we just had was a tease. At least for me.

SOI had teetered really negative with some positives late August that signaled the disturbed wetter pattern. Since then it has strung together another long streak of positives. There is a little lag with the signal. Most disappointed that the EPAC didn't deliver and the track is too far west.

https://www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/soi/
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#96 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:44 pm

Getting a moderate thundershower right now! :D
I thought it would bypass us. We're on eastern fringe of it. I thought we were done. Nice surprise!

Just finished cutting the grass! Awesome!
4 likes   

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#97 Postby Edwards Limestone » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:42 pm

Here comes another outflow moving south towards me...
0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#98 Postby Edwards Limestone » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:28 pm

Edwards Limestone wrote:Here comes another outflow moving south towards me...

Cashing in on the north side of SA (Hollywood Park). We need this!!! :notworthy:

The outflow boundary giveth... :D
4 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#99 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:17 pm

I got 0.25".

My brother In SA just north of the airport had finished mowing his grass. He then got 0.45"! Woohoo! He called it a gift. Looks like the SA airport cashed in with the red for a little bit.
:)

Update: Had a little more and got up to 0.3". ;) These smaller amounts more often are nice.
4 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#100 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:07 am

Another huge improvement on the drought monitor for Texas!
2 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”