Texas Fall 2022

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Fall 2022

#1341 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:08 pm

Larry Cosgrove is on board with a quick return to cold after our mini warm up. He targets the 12/7-12/21 period with a dump of arctic air on our side of the globe.
3 likes   

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1342 Postby TropicalTundra » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:10 pm

gpsnowman wrote:Larry Cosgrove is on board with a quick return to cold after our mini warm up. He targets the 12/7-12/21 period with a dump of arctic air on our side of the globe.

And then on Christmas we can go skinny dipping? :lol:
3 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1343 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:10 pm

Iceresistance wrote:At the end of the run (11/21/2022 12z GFS), but you know, a man can dream. :D :lol:

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/12z-GFS-for-500mb-anomalies.png
https://s1.gifyu.com/images/12z-GFS-for-500mb-anomalies.png

That is some major league blocking from Alaska all the way over to Greenland.
0 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1344 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:12 pm

TropicalTundra wrote:
gpsnowman wrote:Larry Cosgrove is on board with a quick return to cold after our mini warm up. He targets the 12/7-12/21 period with a dump of arctic air on our side of the globe.

And then suffer some Seinfeld type "shrinkage".
4 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1345 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:13 pm

TropicalTundra wrote:

Not if the Arctic air sticks around and makes a White Christmas! :D
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1346 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:42 pm

1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Itryatgolf
Category 1
Category 1

#1347 Postby Itryatgolf » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:50 pm

I read what Larry said on Instagram and we will warm up, but how long is million dollar question. He says the mjo is in phases 2,3, and 4 but the charts show it going into 6 and then 7 unless there are two areas of convection. Keeping the mjo out of the warm phases will be key whether we see any legit cold and stormy weather imo
1 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1348 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:59 pm

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1349 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:54 pm

0z GFS already off to a crazy start with snow in the Oklahoma and Texas Panhandles.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1350 Postby Brent » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:52 pm

:double: at this rate I wouldn't completely rule out wintry weather close by here :spam: :lol: seems hard to believe given the forecast yesterday but yeah

4 likes   
#neversummer

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1351 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:02 am

Brent wrote::double: at this rate I wouldn't completely rule out wintry weather close by here :spam: :lol: seems hard to believe given the forecast yesterday but yeah

https://i.ibb.co/XSTqy3v/gfs-asnow-scus-19.png

Rainfall is now up to 1-3 inches

Last post for the night, the 0z GFS is launching a big cold blast in the long range in early December
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1352 Postby bubba hotep » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:43 am

3 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1353 Postby bubba hotep » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:48 am

Brent wrote::double: at this rate, I wouldn't completely rule out wintry weather close by here :spam: :lol: seems hard to believe given the forecast yesterday but yeah

https://i.ibb.co/XSTqy3v/gfs-asnow-scus-19.png

Given how dynamic this system will be, it isn't such a long shot that we see the snow potential spread eastward. At least, that is what I'm telling myself!
2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1354 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:35 am

RDPS has snow along and west of I-35 in Oklahoma, hopefully just bluff.

Panhandle Texas may get clobbered, one of the Pro-mets on a different forum has moved to Amarillo, TX to work at the NWS there. I have invited him over here, last I heard, he's considering it.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

snowballzzz
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1355 Postby snowballzzz » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:37 am

Looks like all models, including the NAM, seem to be in agreeance of the track of the system later this week. Looks like a decent rain maker for east Texas and snow on the backend with someone getting a bullseye between Lubbock and Amarillo (Surprise, surprise). If only the low would dip further south and east..
0 likes   

snowballzzz
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1356 Postby snowballzzz » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:39 am

Iceresistance wrote:RDPS has snow along and west of I-35 in Oklahoma, hopefully just bluff.

Panhandle Texas may get clobbered, one of the Pro-mets on a different forum has moved to Amarillo, TX to work at the NWS there. I have invited him over here, last I heard, he's considering it.

What other forum are you speaking of, if you don't mind sharing? I have been looking for other winter weather/general weather forums to join.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1357 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:06 am

snowballzzz wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:RDPS has snow along and west of I-35 in Oklahoma, hopefully just bluff.

What other forum are you speaking of, if you don't mind sharing? I have been looking for other winter weather/general weather forums to join.

I did in a PM
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1358 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:08 am

snowballzzz wrote:Looks like all models, including the NAM, seem to be in agreeance of the track of the system later this week. Looks like a decent rain maker for east Texas and snow on the backend with someone getting a bullseye between Lubbock and Amarillo (Surprise, surprise). If only the low would dip further south and east..

I’m right there with you in wishing it would track further south and east. Not sure areas south of I-10 will see much rain from this.
1 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#1359 Postby jasons2k » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:19 am

Update from Jeff Lindner:

Showers and Thunderstorms likely Thursday into Friday.

Surface coastal trough over the NW Gulf is starting to move eastward this morning and this will take the light rain south of I-10 off to the east by midday. Upstream radars still show returns over SW and SC TX, but with slightly drier air starting to enter the region from the northeast, think much of this will dissipate before reaching the ground. Clouds will hold tough however, with maybe some slight clearing off to the northeast where the best bet for dry air to make some play into the area.

Upper level trough entering the NW US will drop SE over the next 24 hours and then begin to deepen and cut-off from the upper level flow over the US. The result will be significant height falls Wednesday into Thursday over E NM and W TX helping to induce surface low pressure over NW TX. Onshore winds will return to coastal TX with warm air advection in place by Wednesday afternoon. Scattered showers will begin to develop in the warm air advection regime Wednesday night over the region.

Thursday:
Surface cold front will slowly move into SE TX with widespread showers and thunderstorms likely. Timing is still in question, but it is likely there will be periods of wet weather throughout the day on Thursday…plan accordingly. Surface front should move off the upper TX coast by early to mid evening on Thursday, but cut-off mid and upper level system will remain to the west and result in strong lift and moisture transport over the surface cool air. The result will be a continued wet pattern into Thursday night and Friday.

Rainfall amounts Thursday into Friday will average .50-1.5 inches over the region with the highest rainfall likely north of I-10. While SPC has outlooked the Matagorda Bay region for a marginal (1 out of 5) risk for severe thunderstorms on Thursday, instability is greatly lacking and while thunderstorms will be possible, think the severe threat is low. If anything maybe some small hail with the cold pool aloft moving over the region.

Friday:
Slow moving upper level system to our west will progress east on Friday, how fast remains in question. Typical closed upper lows tend to move slower than guidance suggests. Some decent agreement that showers will linger into much of Friday with the CMC and GFS continuing to be the slowest and most aggressive with the rainfall. ECWMF has trended in the slower direction over the last 24 hours, but is still faster than much of the guidance. Dry slot may attempt to move into the area Friday afternoon helping to end the rainfall and clearing clouds from the WSW, but I am not confident in this actually occurring and we may stay locked into the cloudy and wet into Friday evening.

Weekend:
Upper low should begin to move east, but how fast is in question. The faster solutions have the system east of TX by Saturday with clearing skies and warming temperatures…the slower guidance keeps clouds in place on Saturday and possibly some light showers. Temperatures will warm into the 60’s and 70’s by Sunday with clearing skies and a return of southerly winds.

West TX/TX Panhandle:
With lots on travel late this week, those traveling to W TX/E NM/TX Panhandle should be aware that the same storm system will bring potentially significant snowfall, especially in the TX panhandle from Wednesday night-Friday night. Snowfall amounts of 6-12 inches will be possible which will result in significant travel disruption.

Jeff Lindner
Director Hydrologic Operations Division/Meteorologist
Harris County Flood Control District
9900 Northwest Freeway | Houston, Texas 77092
346-286-4000 (main) | 346-286-4165 (direct) | 281-924-2091 (cell)
jeff.lindner@hcfcd.org | Twitter: @jefflindner1
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Texas Fall 2022

#1360 Postby jasons2k » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:01 pm

NWS Fort Worth on Twitter:

Unfortunately, the Thanksgiving forecast has took a turn for the worse. An upper system now looks like it will hang around for several days. Expect rain to start Wednesday and continue off/on through Saturday. The highest rain chances are across North and East Texas. #txwx
1 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”