Texas Fall 2022

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Fall 2022

#221 Postby Portastorm » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:42 am

Edwards Limestone wrote:Got down to 59 this morning in Hollywood Park. Felt amazing.

We had mostly 50s for lows in Travis County outside the central urban core of Austin. Wonderful! :D
5 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#222 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:48 am

Edwards Limestone wrote:Got down to 59 this morning in Hollywood Park. Felt amazing.

Sure did! The only thing that would feel better is rain :D
4 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#223 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:00 pm

90s still showing up in the extended forecast, well into October. This is getting unbearably old.
4 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#224 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:39 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:

Sure did! The only thing that would feel better is rain :D

Exactly!! We’ll probably see some rain chances over the next few months on occasion but probably nothing widespread till spring.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#225 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:10 pm

Mine bottomed out at 61, and I'm a lower spot. Sensor is also underneath an eave of the roof, which may prevented it from reading 50s. Definitely felt more coolish! :)
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#226 Postby Brent » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:45 am

Had 40s outside the city this morning :cold:

Of course we can't seem to get rid of highs near 90 either due to the super dry air
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#227 Postby Ntxw » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:09 pm

Ian reminds us why we don't want rain in that form. Still we do need rain.

Beautiful weather stretch for most of us (in the sense temps are comfortable-warm) with generally low dewpoints. There are at least subtle signs from ensembles in the very long range of heights rising over the Pacific Northwest and Canada that may allow us to cool off.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#228 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:06 pm

Ntxw wrote:Ian reminds us why we don't want rain in that form. Still we do need rain.

Beautiful weather stretch for most of us (in the sense temps are comfortable-warm) with generally low dewpoints. There are at least subtle signs from ensembles in the very long range of heights rising over the Pacific Northwest and Canada that may allow us to cool off.

I’ve never really experienced hurricane conditions and I only live one hour from the Gulf. Hurricane Claudette in 2003 was the closest call I’ve ever had and that wasn’t too bad here. Harvey was just all rain here with not much wind (maybe 40-50mph tops). I know eventually my luck is bound to run out though.
0 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#229 Postby IcyTundra » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:30 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Ian reminds us why we don't want rain in that form. Still we do need rain.

I’ve never really experienced hurricane conditions and I only live one hour from the Gulf. Hurricane Claudette in 2003 was the closest call I’ve ever had and that wasn’t too bad here. Harvey was just all rain here with not much wind (maybe 40-50mph tops). I know eventually my luck is bound to run out though.

You're right the Middle to Upper TX coast is woefully unprepared for a storm like Ian, Ida, or Laura. Harvey was pretty bad for Rockport but it's windfield was quite small and it was an area with relatively low population. We haven't had a true wind storm since Carla imo. Ike was a glancing blow that would have been a lot worse if it made landfall between Freeport and the west end of Galveston like it was supposed to.
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#230 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:29 pm

IcyTundra wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

You're right the Middle to Upper TX coast is woefully unprepared for a storm like Ian, Ida, or Laura. Harvey was pretty bad for Rockport but it's windfield was quite small and it was an area with relatively low population. We haven't had a true wind storm since Carla imo. Ike was a glancing blow that would have been a lot worse if it made landfall between Freeport and the west end of Galveston like it was supposed to.

Yep, I agree. It’s just hard for a storm to get this far west without some trough picking it up.
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#231 Postby Brent » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:48 pm

I saw a couple far weakened hurricanes 3-4 hours inland in Alabama when I was younger and that was enough for me(several others had squalls or spinup tornadoes like Katrina). Nothing fun about them believe me. The night Opal came through moving at 35 mph is still one of the worst weather events I've ever seen and that was 27 years ago. I can still remember walking over powerlines when the sun came up. Don't care to ever see that again
1 likes   
#neversummer

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#232 Postby IcyTundra » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:33 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
IcyTundra wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

Yep, I agree. It’s just hard for a storm to get this far west without some trough picking it up.

It has to be a homegrown system like Harvey, Carla, or Alicia. It is possible for long trackers to get this far but those are few and far between. The long trackers need to stay weak for a longtime like the 1900 Galveston Hurricane or have an abnormally strong ridge which was the case for Ike.
3 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#233 Postby somethingfunny » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:33 pm

Tropical depression 16E may recurve and strike Mexico, but the models seem unimpressed by our chances of getting any rain out of the deal.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

cstrunk
Category 1
Category 1

#234 Postby cstrunk » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:49 am

This stretch of dry conditions may even be worse than the summer. At least in the summer there is usually at least some hope for a random pop-up storm/shower. Zero, nada, zilch in the forecast for a huge area for the next 7+ days.

But yes, at least I am enjoying the temperatures, finally.
2 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#235 Postby Ntxw » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:07 am

cstrunk wrote:This stretch of dry conditions may even be worse than the summer. At least in the summer there is usually at least some hope for a random pop-up storm/shower. Zero, nada, zilch in the forecast for a huge area for the next 7+ days.

It is worse than summer in certain ways because we are in climo wet months. You kind of expect it in summer if it happens. But really it is never good any month. Wet seasons is when lakes and rivers replenish.
6 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#236 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:27 am

Ntxw wrote:
cstrunk wrote:This stretch of dry conditions may even be worse than the summer. At least in the summer there is usually at least some hope for a random pop-up storm/shower. Zero, nada, zilch in the forecast for a huge area for the next 7+ days.

It is worse than summer in certain ways because we are in climo wet months. You kind of expect it in summer if it happens. But really it is never good any month. Wet seasons is when lakes and rivers replenish.

And sometimes, the weather will throw a curveball too. :)
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#237 Postby Portastorm » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:39 am

Ntxw wrote:

In his fall forecast webinar, NWS Austin/San Antonio meteorologist Keith White talked about a growing concern later this fall for fire weather. With Nina in control, warm and dry likely rules the day(s). As Ntxw pointed out ... having that kind of weather during our secondary "wet" season is troubling.
1 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#238 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:46 am

That Drought Monitor is terrible! The Cockroach Death Ridge is refusing to give in! :grr:
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#239 Postby Ralph's Weather » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:56 am

Recent mornings have been in upper 40s in NE TX with 50s in town. Tonight looks a touch chillier with some spots likely reaching the mid 40s. Already in upper 40s in rural areas.
3 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#240 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:58 pm

The beginning of October does not look promising at all, even though my Local TV met said that a pattern change may happen next weekend.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”