The Definitive Guide to Skew-Ts and Hodographs

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

The Definitive Guide to Skew-Ts and Hodographs

#1 Postby cheezyWXguy » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:52 am

Since severe weather is nonexistent in the CONUS at this time, it’s a perfect time to learn or brush up on severe weather forecasting before the fall 2nd season and eventually next spring.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’ve had to learn how to read skew-T/hodograph diagrams by gradually gathering bits and pieces over time, which left my understanding pretty incomplete.

However, on Friday I happened across the channel Convective Chronicles on YouTube, and ultimately spent a good deal of my free time this weekend watching this entire playlist. It’s awesome - incredibly comprehensive, thorough, and practical. It starts with the basics of plotting the diagram, goes into how the various metrics are calculated, discusses the use (or sometime lack thereof) of composite indices, and puts it all together in a couple of case studies. I’ve seen a few other content creators delve into detail on these diagrams, but this is by far the most encompassing I’ve found, and not too difficult to follow.

He’s also got some forecast discussions and in-depth case studies of notable events which are pretty interesting too. The channel is pretty small, so spread the word if you like the content as much as I did.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnjboQ2ku8GDI9DGcqR8d9sr0sZKhH-qX
5 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”