Texas Summer 2023

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Tejas89
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Texas Summer 2023

#1341 Postby Tejas89 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:36 pm

Really nice looking radar for Tarrant and just west.

But even better from Waco southwest into the hill country.

They need it BAD. Canyon Lake and the guadalupe in particular are depressingly low.
3 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1342 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:39 pm

underthwx wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:Thunderstorms developing west of DFW

There are no such things in Texas as thunderstorms Ice....how's your weather?

Cooler, but the heat is coming back...
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1343 Postby rwfromkansas » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:41 pm

Holy cow, it's raining! About ready to jump out like a psycho.

Edit: Only got .10, but it's something. And temp is now 81, though I'm sure it will skyrocket up to 90 again before cooling off for tonight unless we get some good cooling outflow to stop it.
4 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1344 Postby bubba hotep » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:20 pm

Tejas89 wrote:Really nice looking radar for Tarrant and just west.

But even better from Waco southwest into the hill country.

They need it BAD. Canyon Lake and the guadalupe in particular are depressingly low.

:rain: :rain:
1 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1345 Postby Ntxw » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:26 pm

I don't know what this foreign object is falling from the sky. Graupel? Rocks? Silicone??
5 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

dpep4
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1346 Postby dpep4 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:33 pm

Edit: Sorry, I misread it.

Hey, look at that rain over there!
0 likes   

DFW Stormwatcher
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1347 Postby DFW Stormwatcher » Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:18 pm

rwfromkansas wrote:Holy cow, it's raining! About ready to jump out like a psycho.

Edit: Only got .10, but it's something. And temp is now 81, though I'm sure it will skyrocket up to 90 again before cooling off for tonight unless we get some good cooling outflow to stop it.

Got a half an inch near Keller!!
5 likes   
Disclaimer: This is not an official weather forecast. I am only an amateur weather enthusiast therefore any weather forecasts or opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. Hook em Horns!

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1348 Postby rwfromkansas » Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:51 pm

Wow, yeah, a good rain from Keller down through Colleyville. Nice and cool there as well. Definitely a nice surprise.

Looks like I went back up to 88 after the rain but didn't reach 90 again. That's a win.
2 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1349 Postby SoupBone » Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:45 pm

Someone please tell me those cells in Navasota will make it to NW Houston? Please!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1350 Postby SoupBone » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:00 pm

It's seriously not making it to me! I'm sitting in a donut hole again! Someone needs to explain to me how this happens.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1351 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:02 pm

Went from 106 to 82 at the abode. 0.07". Will evaporate overnight, but better than it has been.
4 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1352 Postby SoupBone » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:16 pm

I don't think I've ever been so angry at something I can't control like this, but seeing the rain all around me while I sit here is seriously pissing me off. This is unreal. :grr: :lol:
1 likes   

cstrunk
Category 1
Category 1

#1353 Postby cstrunk » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:59 am

SoupBone wrote:I don't think I've ever been so angry at something I can't control like this, but seeing the rain all around me while I sit here is seriously pissing me off. This is unreal. :grr: :lol:

Sorry you missed out! I think most of us have been in your shoes before. It's the nature of Mother Nature in Texas, it seems.

After looking like I was also going to miss out, at the eleventh hour it blew up over me and I ended up with 2.42" of sorely needed rain.
2 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1354 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:04 am

My Butternut squash is toast, literally. :(

It did get down to the mid-60s this morning, it felt really nice.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1355 Postby Cpv17 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:09 am

Iceresistance wrote:My Butternut squash is toast, literally. :(

That’s sad to hear. Butternut squash are amazing.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1356 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:12 am

Cpv17 wrote:

That’s sad to hear. Butternut squash are amazing.

I watered them like crazy, but the heat toasted them, the Zucchini and Cucumbers do have heat damage.

The Tomatoes and Watermelon are doing fine.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1357 Postby Portastorm » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:35 am

weatherdude1108 wrote:Went from 106 to 82 at the abode. 0.07". Will evaporate overnight, but better than it has been.

At least you got .07" ... I was hoping for some liquid gold. Did enjoy the cooldown and clouds ... didn't enjoy the gusty winds with the outflow boundary. They must have blown a tree branch on a power line nearby as we lost power in my part of south Austin for about an hour. To their credit, Austin Energy was quick to respond.

Early mornings this week should be nice with drier air. And then this weekend we have some troughiness coming in from the Gulf which hopefully will give us better rain chances.

Local TV met Avery Tomasco tweeted this morning that ABIA and Mabry have already locked up "hottest summer ever" on record per temps. I'm waiting to see what NWS says after the month ends.
1 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1358 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:26 am

For future reference, you can water with kelp and seaweed concentrate and it does a ton to help protect plants from the heat. You can also foliar spray the plants which also does a lot to protect them.
1 likes   
#neversummer

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1359 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:03 am

Portastorm wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:Went from 106 to 82 at the abode. 0.07". Will evaporate overnight, but better than it has been.

At least you got .07" ... I was hoping for some liquid gold. Did enjoy the cooldown and clouds ... didn't enjoy the gusty winds with the outflow boundary. They must have blown a tree branch on a power line nearby as we lost power in my part of south Austin for about an hour. To their credit, Austin Energy was quick to respond.

Early mornings this week should be nice with drier air. And then this weekend we have some troughiness coming in from the Gulf which hopefully will give us better rain chances.

Local TV met Avery Tomasco tweeted this morning that ABIA and Mabry have already locked up "hottest summer ever" on record per temps. I'm waiting to see what NWS says after the month ends.

Oh man, sorry about that. Total luck of the draw. Even with that tiny amount, my grass perked up a bit. :wink: Yeah, part of the neighbor's trash blew into my front yard when their can opened! Got windy for a bit, no power issues. I guess when you have a temperature differential from 109 to 81, going to be a gradient of some sort.lol

I saw that troughiness blurb on the NWS discussion this morning. Looks promising, hopefully!

Avery Tomasco is great! I like his forecasts! He doesn't sensationalize the forecasts like some other local mets. Tells is like it is with the accurate facts and how miserable the heat and dry has been. Basically tells it like we all feel! :)

Let's just keep crossing our fingers on more of that precious liquid gold!
:rain: :rain: :rain:
2 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tajmahal
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1360 Postby tajmahal » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:13 am

Portastorm wrote:Local TV met Avery Tomasco tweeted this morning that ABIA and Mabry have already locked up "hottest summer ever" on record per temps. I'm waiting to see what NWS says after the month ends.

By the NWS calculation method, needs an 87.9° average over the next 4 days. By ordinary mathematics, 87.75° is needed.

The gusty winds yesterday were caused by thunderstorm collapse, similar to the way derechos form. Velocity radar from New Braunfels showed 95 mph winds just above the surface west of Dripping Springs.
1 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”