Florida Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Florida Weather

#17241 Postby NDG » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:34 pm

I say FL Peninsula Spring is here already, no signs of the NAO & AO going negative over the next 2 weeks, there's still a chance of going negative in March but by that time the sun angle will be much higher and the official meteorological spring would be here by then.
1 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#17242 Postby Patrick99 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:25 pm

NDG wrote:I say FL Peninsula Spring is here already, no signs of the NAO & AO going negative over the next 2 weeks, there's still a chance of going negative in March but by that time the sun angle will be much higher and the official meteorological spring would be here by then.

I think so. I was thinking, and looking back at some of the temperature records for the Miami forecast office - I can't remember much really cold weather in February or March, yet in the old days well before I was alive, it seemed to happen pretty regularly. There are low temperatures for February and March, and even some April and November, that seem unfathomable now. I can't remember anything cold in March except for the wake of the 93 Superstorm. In my lifetime, the true cold snaps have been confined to December and January.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17243 Postby psyclone » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:12 am

SE ridge is locked in. A long stretch of magnificent weather is underway with above normal temps and below normal precip.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17244 Postby NDG » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:13 am

Inland sections of the southern Peninsula get ready for potential 90s next week with an insane 596 dm ridge for this time of the year over us. :eek:
Edit: and central FL as well could hit 90.
2 likes   

HURRICANELONNY
Category 5
Category 5

#17245 Postby HURRICANELONNY » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:48 pm

The torch is on but I think will get a cool shot in early March. Looking at long range models and teleconnections it seems possible. Maybe normal or somewhat below. But something to watch :roll:
1 likes   
hurricanelonny

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17246 Postby psyclone » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:54 pm

Now that we're safely past the freeze season we can safely cheer on late season cool snaps and just like magic the cpc 8-14 day outlook is finally working the cool side of the tracks. It'd be nice to cook up a squall line and hose the pollen down too. I'm thinking March could be interesting weather wise..
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17247 Postby chaser1 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:02 pm

As some of you have alluded, mid 30 lows and mid 60 highs could be a thing again in about a week for Central Fla. The good news is that if converging global long range is right, South Florida will get theirs too! Jeez, I just want to have the strong northerly winds back to help kick out that nasty red tide over on the left coast
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17248 Postby NDG » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:48 am

:uarrow: Always proceed with caution when the pattern has been persistently warmer than average for FL.
We will be lucky to get down to average temps at most in the 7-14 day range, but at least it will give my A/C a break during the nights. The last two days have felt like a late May day with highs at 90, but at least the humidity is lower than in the summer.

The Euro has had a change of heart for next weekend, not surprised.

0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17249 Postby psyclone » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:37 am

Anything less hot would be an improvement. I'm also hoping we get some northeast surface winds as we have an outbreak of red tide in our coastal waters.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17250 Postby NDG » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:07 am

psyclone wrote:Anything less hot would be an improvement. I'm also hoping we get some northeast surface winds as we have an outbreak of red tide in our coastal waters.

I don't ever recall SW FL's gulf coast having such a bad red tide event during this time of the year.
I have a feeling that it has to do with Ian.
1 likes   

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17251 Postby HurricaneBelle » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:31 pm

NDG wrote:
psyclone wrote:Anything less hot would be an improvement. I'm also hoping we get some northeast surface winds as we have an outbreak of red tide in our coastal waters.

I don't ever recall SW FL's gulf coast having such a bad red tide event during this time of the year.

Ian didn't help and may have churned up the water to bring it to the surface, but its persistence this winter is due to the lack of cold fronts coming through after the big Xmas chill. We're not getting northerly winds to push it south and away from the coast. Good piece on it here at the WaPo:

https://wapo.st/3SR8wBA

The article should be free since I've gifted it from my subscription.
1 likes   

itglobalsecure
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17252 Postby itglobalsecure » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:15 pm

HurricaneBelle wrote:
NDG wrote:

... Good piece on it here at the WaPo:

https://wapo.st/3SR8wBA

Thank you for this link. The last few sentences are depressing. "Red tide blooms going through spring and into summer are generally a 1 in 12-year event, he said. There have been two such events in the last five years."
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17253 Postby psyclone » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:38 pm

It's interesting that red tide is so severe despite the dry conditions. When the rains do arrive, we have months worth of nutrients waiting to runoff. My hope is we get some good seasonal high pressure systems off the mid Atlantic to induce strong east winds to push the blooms and dead fish offshore. Late March through mid May often produce such weather. For my immediate area, 2005 was the worst red tide...the recent blooms have focused south of here. Hopefully we get some differing weather to shake things up a bit..
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17254 Postby NDG » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:46 am

psyclone wrote:It's interesting that red tide is so severe despite the dry conditions. When the rains do arrive, we have months worth of nutrients waiting to runoff. My hope is we get some good seasonal high pressure systems off the mid Atlantic to induce strong east winds to push the blooms and dead fish offshore. Late March through mid May often produce such weather. For my immediate area, 2005 was the worst red tide...the recent blooms have focused south of here. Hopefully we get some differing weather to shake things up a bit..

That was my point that despite being a very dry winter and shallow coastal waters still being relatively cool we are seeing such a large Red Tide bloom that has been persistent ever since Ian in the Fort Myers area and now has spread north towards the Tampa Bay area, this will not be a good sign once the water warms up during the spring.
I have always said that the best time to see clear bluish waters in SW and central FL's gulf coast is during the spring after our dry winters.
0 likes   

canes92
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#17255 Postby canes92 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:35 pm

FL has the worst climate of any of the 50 states.
0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#17256 Postby boca » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:49 am

We haven’t had rain in quite some time and we are now in a moderate drought let’s hope we get rain soon. I jokingly told someone in January we wouldn’t get rain until the end of May let’s hope that isn’t the case.
1 likes   

stpeteweathergal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17257 Postby stpeteweathergal » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:17 pm

We did get a quick, heavy shower last night. I was very happy about that. Hoping the forecasted rain for Monday comes to fruition.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#17258 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:41 pm

Lots of storms in the Panhandle and in Northern Florida, basically along I-10.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#17259 Postby Ntxw » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:06 pm

Next weekend will be chilly for mid-late March. 40s/50s for highs and light freezes outside the big cities.

With the oncoming Nino and lack of mid-latitude amplifying ridge, don't see any early season heat waves in the near future.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17260 Postby gatorcane » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:06 pm

Looks like two big shots of cool air for Florida, one comes through tonight and into tomorrow and another next week. GFS with highs over SW Florida only in the 50s next Sunday. Seeing how much above normal we have been (91F here in Boca Raton today with offshore flow), these cooler temps are very much welcomed.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”