Florida Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Florida Weather

#17521 Postby HurricaneBelle » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:58 pm

mid-40s in the Tampa Bay area this morning, left the heat off last night and woke up to 67 in the house
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17522 Postby psyclone » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:14 am

Looks like a prolonged stretch of below normal temps incoming
1 likes   

Abdullah
Category 1
Category 1

#17523 Postby Abdullah » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:56 pm

The expected lows been rising to the point that now KMIA does not expect to see a day below 50 degrees F in the next week.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17524 Postby NDG » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:44 am

Good thing there is no Arctic air in Canada for the current deep mid level trough to drag down to FL, I’m sure there would have been plenty of freezing temps in central and parts of S FL.
0 likes   

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17525 Postby HurricaneBelle » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:34 am

El Nino in full swing now with 3 frontal systems with weather coming through in 6 days. The associated lows will likely move through the Panhandle and slightly north of there so nothing like the mid-December event.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17526 Postby NDG » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:31 am

Definitely a full El Nino pattern in place since at least the second half of November. The last Super El Nino event of winter '15/'16, November & December of '15 was very inactive compared to the current one, it was later in January '16 that the pattern finally resembled a +ENSO one.
0 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#17527 Postby Patrick99 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:23 am

Tick tock - SFL "winter" is now on the clock. A lot of more interesting changeable weather thanks to El Nino, but not really anything too impressive on the horizon either. Some people in the US will be getting cold, but it kinda looks like the Pacific troughing along with some SW Atlantic/Caribbean ridging are going to scuttle more impressive cold for SFL, through mid-January at least.

As I recall, the constant parade of cutters across the country is not really a pattern that brings a ton of cold air to Florida, even if there is a -NAO. I think we largely miss out on this upcoming arctic outbreak - it doesn't look as if the polar vortex is digging in the right spot for that.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17528 Postby NDG » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:07 am

Patrick99 wrote:Tick tock - SFL "winter" is now on the clock. A lot of more interesting changeable weather thanks to El Nino, but not really anything too impressive on the horizon either. Some people in the US will be getting cold, but it kinda looks like the Pacific troughing along with some SW Atlantic/Caribbean ridging are going to scuttle more impressive cold for SFL, through mid-January at least.

As I recall, the constant parade of cutters across the country is not really a pattern that brings a ton of cold air to Florida, even if there is a -NAO. I think we largely miss out on this upcoming arctic outbreak - it doesn't look as if the polar vortex is digging in the right spot for that.

The -PNA pattern is going to save FL from the Arctic blast coming down into the US despite the -NAO
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17529 Postby NDG » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:11 am

West coast of FL needs to watch out for those cells that are moving in this morning along the strong squall line, some rotation with some of them. Sounding this morning from Ruskin shows lots of shear for rotation with a 50 knot low level jet, winds along the coast already gusting over 40 mph.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17530 Postby psyclone » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:27 pm

We really cashed a qpf ticket this morning. This storm coming up Tuesday looks like it could exceed the mid December system...gradient wind, storm coastal flooding and a substantial svr risk including tornadoes appears possible
1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#17531 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:04 pm

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17532 Postby HurricaneBelle » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:17 pm

psyclone wrote:We really cashed a qpf ticket this morning. This storm coming up Tuesday looks like it could exceed the mid December system...gradient wind, storm coastal flooding and a substantial svr risk including tornadoes appears possible

The hourly NWS wind forecast for Tuesday for me in Clearwater:

Color me skeptical that we'll have sustained 30G48 winds for 6-8 hours but we'll see.
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: RE: Re: Florida Weather

#17533 Postby jlauderdal » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:58 pm

There was damage south of me, it was a very impressive tornado for sofla.
0 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#17534 Postby MetroMike » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:06 pm

Latest Nam3k future radar suggests some bowing segments of the line near Tampa Bay. Would not be good if it verifies.
[imgur][/imgur]Image
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17535 Postby chaser1 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:17 am

Seems like there's some solid strong winds not too far above the surface. I'm fairly confident that there will be scattered local reports of straight-line wind gusts of 45mph - 55 mph between Sarasota and Clearwater and across Central Fla prior to the line thinning out as upper-level support slowly wanes. I'd expect a few (radar depicted) tornado warnings to be hoisted as well for Central and East Coast Central Fla. but those commonly do not materialize. Wouldn't surprise me though if a couple nice waterspouts or tornadic funnels were spotted as the line rapidly approaches you W. Coast folks though. Jeez, I hated living down in S. Fla years ago when there'd be forecasted prefrontal strong squall lines expected. It just seemed that nearly every time a solid line of cells were approaching, amazingly the line would magically "thin out" or simply weaken, just for newly developed cells to redevelop and explode immediately offshore Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and W. Palm. Might not be a bad idea to run on out and grab any outside glass patio furniture or umbrellas for the day though.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17536 Postby jlauderdal » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:55 pm

Interesting setup for SE Florida tonight as the better setup is clearly to the North but models have improved the dynamics to the south, we saw what happened Saturday, pushing 80 at the surface so we might get something going ahead of the squall line, NWS mentions the cap but maybe we can break it, regardless the atmosphere is really charged up from Florida back to the Midwest.
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17537 Postby jlauderdal » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:58 pm

chaser1 wrote:Seems like there's some solid strong winds not too far above the surface. I'm fairly confident that there will be scattered local reports of straight-line wind gusts of 45mph - 55 mph between Sarasota and Clearwater and across Central Fla prior to the line thinning out as upper-level support slowly wanes. I'd expect a few (radar depicted) tornado warnings to be hoisted as well for Central and East Coast Central Fla. but those commonly do not materialize. Wouldn't surprise me though if a couple nice waterspouts or tornadic funnels were spotted as the line rapidly approaches you W. Coast folks though. Jeez, I hated living down in S. Fla years ago when there'd be forecasted prefrontal strong squall lines expected. It just seemed that nearly every time a solid line of cells were approaching, amazingly the line would magically "thin out" or simply weaken, just for newly developed cells to redevelop and explode immediately offshore Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and W. Palm. Might not be a bad idea to run on out and grab any outside glass patio furniture or umbrellas for the day though.
It is tough to get great dynamics this far south in the winter but it's an el nino year and this will be our third post-hurricane event this season.
1 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17538 Postby psyclone » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:30 pm

Nature coast and west central peninsula about to get slammed. We have been gusting to near 50 around here for hours. Great day for weather watching
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17539 Postby NDG » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:24 am

Watching the Arctic air forecasted to come down into the NW and central US this weekend into early next week with temperatures forecasted to get into the deep freeze in the central and western gulf coast states.
Will the subtropical jet save central FL from at least a light freeze? The GFS thinks so but the Euro, ICON and CMC (not sure why I am including this cold biased model) show possible light freeze. This bear watching.
0 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#17540 Postby Patrick99 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:02 am

NDG wrote:Watching the Arctic air forecasted to come down into the NW and central US this weekend into early next week with temperatures forecasted to get into the deep freeze in the central and western gulf coast states.
Will the subtropical jet save central FL from at least a light freeze? The GFS thinks so but the Euro, ICON and CMC (not sure why I am including this cold biased model) show possible light freeze. This bear watching.

It sure looks like it. Watching from run to run, it seems that once the coldest air moving south reaches a certain latitude, it gets quickly shunted off to the east and can deliver the peninsula only a brief glancing blow.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”