World 'needs radical cuts' on CO2

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: World 'needs radical cuts' on CO2

#21 Postby MGC » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:58 pm

I agree that the only reasonable answer is nuclear. The new nuclear plants will run hotter, so there will be the ability to generate H2 which will be used for transportation....MGC
0 likes   

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby gigabite » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:56 am

Skyhawk wrote:
gigabite wrote:Are you saying that the environment has an infinite capacity to absorb CO2?

No I'm not saying that, and I didn't even suggest it. I have no idea where you got that idea. However, there is no need for infinite capacity, since there is a finite amount of fossil fuel to burn. We will ultimately have to go to nuclear and renewables and fusion if it should ever work. We should be switching now to nuclear for electric generation. Fossil fuels should be limited to transportation use, since presently there is no practical alternative. Natural gas might also be used in the interim for home heating.

Sequestration in the form of plant matter is not limited to trees. Root matter from grasses and crops mixed into the soil represents a large storage capacity.

I not sure where you learned your chemistry, but it makes no sense. CO2 is CO2 whether the carbon comes from organic or inorganic sources. There are two stable isotopes and one long-lived radioactive isotope. That's it, and all are taken up by plants. BTW fossil fuels are organic. They are produced from "cooked" plant and animal matter. Should you take an organic chemistry course, you will find that the compounds found in coal, petroleum, and natural gas will be part of the course.

An inorganic source of CO2 would be a mineral such as CaCO3.

Where are you getting your information? What is your educational background?

I have a liberal arts degree. I took chemistry in high school in college I took physics, calculus, biology, astronomy, and inter-disciplinary science.

Does pure CO2 exist naturally in the atmosphere without associating with other compounds.
ie CO2 is in mayonnaise I am not sure plants can metabolize it even if it makes the leaves shiny.
0 likes   

Skyhawk
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#23 Postby Skyhawk » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:42 pm

gigabite wrote:Does pure CO2 exist naturally in the atmosphere without associating with other compounds. ie CO2 is in mayonnaise I am not sure plants can metabolize it even if it makes the leaves shiny.

Of course CO2 exists as an independent compound thats why we call it CO2 rather than CO2XYZ. CO2 is independent just like O2, N2, H2O, or trace compounds like CH4. What's this mayonnaise? Can you give a reference? All I can say is that your views about chemistry are bizarre. They are nothing like anything I have heard in a university class or read in any textbook. Please provide some authoritative support.

BTW Mayonnaise is an emulsion, tiny droplets of a liquid (oil) dispersed in a second continuous liquid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulsion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayonnaise

The atmosphere is a mixture of gases. Outside of clouds there is no liquid phase, certainly not one liquid phase dispersed in another liquid phase.
0 likes   

Skyhawk
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#24 Postby Skyhawk » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:50 pm

Much useful information about CO2 can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide
0 likes   

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby gigabite » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:32 pm

So, we have determined that there is a limit to the amount of carbon dioxide the atmosphere can handle and that plants can not metabolize complex carbonates, and plants do discriminate CO2 in respiration. Now all I have to do is float a test balloon to see if there is any maybe cement dust CaCO3 bellow 850 mb.

Yep, but a gas chronograph will not break down cement dust to constituent compounds because out gassing of CO2 occurs above 550 °C the upper limit of the instrument is 350 °C, but there may be some compounds in this list that contain CO2 in a compound that would separate in testing under 350 °C.

http://science.jrank.org/pages/102/Aerosols.html
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#26 Postby HURAKAN » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:13 pm

I think that solar, wind, and wave power is the future of energy. If this energy independence is reached, then the planet will start to heal itself from the carbon dioxide effect.
0 likes   

Return to “Global Weather”