Arctic Ice is actually expanding

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
caneman

Arctic Ice is actually expanding

#1 Postby caneman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:13 am

I'm surprised no one has reported this. Here you go:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517035,00.html
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby x-y-no » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:27 am

First of all, that article is about Antarctica, not the Arctic. And second, they seem to have most of the story wrong. The West Antarctic has been losing ice mass and the East Antarctic is fairly steady. So overall, Antarctica has been losing ice mass.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Artic Ice is actually expanding

#3 Postby Sanibel » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:32 pm

Not to mention Greenland, the glaciers, and the Arctic...
0 likes   

caneman

Re:

#4 Postby caneman » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:45 am

x-y-no wrote:First of all, that article is about Antarctica, not the Arctic. And second, they seem to have most of the story wrong. The West Antarctic has been losing ice mass and the East Antarctic is fairly steady. So overall, Antarctica has been losing ice mass.

I'm not sure how you can claim they have most of the story wrong without backup. The facts are the facts. Further, and perhaps more importantly is that there is plenty of evidence coming out that suggest we need not fall into the we must act now mentality and as stated in a another there are companies with an extreme political agenda that stand to gain significantly by expediting this ( I won't get into names so as not to violate board rules but a significant company will either be made with this legislation or if not probably go bankrupt). That is fact if you care to Google the information up and want to have an open mind. So, in summary. Man made global warming may or may not be real but there is plenty of evidence coming out to suggest we need to investigate further, the sky isn't falling - lets take our time and keep an eye out on who is really pushing the agenda.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Re:

#5 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:05 am

caneman wrote:
x-y-no wrote:First of all, that article is about Antarctica, not the Arctic. And second, they seem to have most of the story wrong. The West Antarctic has been losing ice mass and the East Antarctic is fairly steady. So overall, Antarctica has been losing ice mass.

I'm not sure how you can claim they have most of the story wrong without backup. The facts are the facts. Further, and perhaps more importantly is that there is plenty of evidence coming out that suggest we need not fall into the we must act now mentality and as stated in a another there are companies with an extreme political agenda that stand to gain significantly by expediting this ( I won't get into names so as not to violate board rules but a significant company will either be made with this legislation or if not probably go bankrupt). That is fact if you care to Google the information up and want to have an open mind. So, in summary. Man made global warming may or may not be real but there is plenty of evidence coming out to suggest we need to investigate further, the sky isn't falling - lets take our time and keep an eye out on who is really pushing the agenda.

Man made global warming exists and is real. It's actual effects or amount of effect on the total climate/environment is what is up for discussion,imo. I definitely agree with the bolded statement.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#6 Postby HURAKAN » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:11 am

Just to make it more interesting, if you see an ice sheet expanding, it could be that the planet is getting warmer and therefore, there is more moisture in the atmosphere. If the planet was getting colder, you would see glaciers receiving less and less snow every year because the colder the atmosphere, the less humidity it can hold.

By the way, we need to change the title from "Arctic" to "Antarctic," it's really misleading.
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby x-y-no » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:52 pm

caneman wrote:

I'm not sure how you can claim they have most of the story wrong without backup. The facts are the facts.

We've discussed the Grace mission results here before, I didn't think it was neccesary to do so again. Anyway, here's the press release from NASA:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2006-028

if you want the published papers and can't find them yourself with google I'll hunt them up when I've got some time.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8 Postby HURAKAN » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:33 pm

Talking about the Artic ice.

Link: http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/index.html
0 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Dean4Storms » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:50 pm

It is called climate change and the climate has been changing back and forth for millions of years. Global Warming may be the latest change in the climate but it is not proven by any means that it is man made!! That is a myth!
0 likes   

xironman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby xironman » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:14 am

Since the title of the article is Arctic Ice and I am not sure that anyone has posted it here yet, there is a great new page from MODIS that gives a full mosaic of the Arctic every day (it fills in the picture as the day goes on) http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?mosaic=Arctic. Here is a great shot yesterday of the NW Passage http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=Arctic_r04c02.2009205.terra, you can drill down to a 250m resolution.
0 likes   

cpdaman
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby cpdaman » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:41 am

vbhoutex wrote:
caneman wrote:

Man made global warming exists and is real. It's actual effects or amount of effect on the total climate/environment is what is up for discussion,imo. I definitely agree with the bolded statement.

to not agree with the bolded statement would be to choose to willful ignore thousands of years of histroy regarding politics wether the individual made this as a conscious decesion or not.

when emotions run high the debate usually becomes meaningless if the aim is to have a honest understanding of all sides....but alot of times the aim in a debate is just to strengthen one's own belief.

I think it is pretty clear people are passionate that our earth is not turned into a dumpster......

I think it is pretty clear a smaller subset of people took the time to learn and understand that every loss of freedom always comes under the guise of emergency and the deception of the greater masses. Understanding Psychology and using the leverage of the media or authority of the day to raise the extremeness of something (to jusitify emergency) has been common place for century's. It is usually a underestimated or rathar wished away idea.

I think it is obvious that over half the people who care strongly about the enviornment have decided that Global warming is just TOO big of an issue Not to support and have on their side should they ever get others to care about the enviornment.

it is trying to maintain an optomistic perspective on life and things you want to see without picking and choosing when you want to look at the reality of the situation.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#12 Postby Dionne » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:47 am

If we're not going to change the thread title to Antarctica......can we at least correct the spelling to "arctic"? I know it's a very common spelling error......

THANKYOU!
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Arctic Ice is actually expanding

#13 Postby Sanibel » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:35 am

Arctic ice melts to third-smallest area on record
Sep 17,2009
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – "The Arctic's sea ice pack thawed to its third-lowest summer level on record, up slightly from the seasonal melt of the past two years but continuing an overall decline symptomatic of climate change, U.S. scientists said on Thursday.

That level falls 20 percent below the 30-year average minimum ice cover for the Arctic summer since satellites began measuring it in 1979, and 24 percent less than the 1979-2000 average, the Colorado-based government agency said.

This summer's minimum represents a loss of about two-thirds of the sea ice measured at the height of Arctic winter in March. By comparison, the Arctic ice shelf typically shrank by a little more than half each summer during the 1980s and 1990s, ice scientist Walt Meier said.

The lowest point on record was reached in September 2007, and the 2009 minimum ranks as the third smallest behind last year's level.
"The long-term decline in summer extent is expected to continue in future years," the report said.

Caneman?
0 likes   

Return to “Global Weather”