Fresh snow on palm trees photos with Portuguese descriptions

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ed Mahmoud

Fresh snow on palm trees photos with Portuguese descriptions

#1 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:34 pm

Nevou ainda em parte da província de Tucumán. Houve relatos de neve até na província do Chaco, perto do Paraguai, na manhã de ontem. O Chaco é uma das áreas menos propícias à neve na Argentina eo fenômeno na região é excepcional. Seguia nevando ontem nas áreas mais elevadas da província de Buenos Aires, onde algumas rodovias permaneciam bloqueadas devido ao grande acumulo de neve e gelo sobre as pistas. Na localidade argentina de Paraná, um homem morreu devido ao frio intenso. O vento intenso que atingiu áreas costeiras mantinha ainda diversos pontos de Bahia Blanca sem luz. Em Mar del Plata, a ventania deixou pelo menos vinte desabrigados. Ondas enormes atingiam a costa.

Big waves hitting the coast picture as well, but snow on palm trees rocks!

http://www.metsul.com/blog/

We don't need active tropics to have fun around here.
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

Re: Fresh snow on palm trees photos with Portuguese descriptions

#2 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:43 pm

0 likes   

cpdaman
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby cpdaman » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:43 pm

beautiful sight......i maybe moving to boston area in the next month or two... so there will be some of that for me to see.

how much snowfall did they get....2-4 inches? is that a record
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

#4 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:05 am

Brazil and Argentina are paying a steep price for global warming, er, climate change.

0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#5 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:23 pm

IIRC, this is the second time in the last 5 years that Buenos Aires has had snow. As far as I know snow is as common there as it is in South Texas.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Sanibel » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:09 am

A good example of "amplitude". A sign of global warming.
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

#7 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:26 am

Sanibel wrote:A good example of "amplitude". A sign of global warming.

I love how warm, cold, normal, extreme, wet, dry, average. All signs of global warming. No matter what the weather does, it proves global warming.

Ice caps growing, ice caps shrinking, Alaskan glaciers growing, Texas hot, New York cold, it doesn't matter, it all proves global warming.

Must be nice to be able to ignore facts, or claim everything, no matter what, supports your beliefs.
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby x-y-no » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:59 am

Ed Mahmoud wrote:

I love how warm, cold, normal, extreme, wet, dry, average. All signs of global warming. No matter what the weather does, it proves global warming.

Ice caps growing, ice caps shrinking, Alaskan glaciers growing, Texas hot, New York cold, it doesn't matter, it all proves global warming.

Must be nice to be able to ignore facts, or claim everything, no matter what, supports your beliefs.

No single event is either proof or refutation of global warming.

If there is a statistically significant pattern, that's another matter.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Sanibel » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:16 am

Ed Mahmoud wrote:

I think if you researched the scientific definition of amplitude and its relation to global warming it would withstand more politically-inspired popular descriptions of the phenomenon. I don't think people understand the concept of a more energized atmosphere being able to pull greater shifts or swings in weather because of the strength of its features being enhanced by more energy in the atmosphere. To me, I think the "look there's snow in the palms therefore global warming is a hoax" crowd is being knowingly catered to against the science. What speaks the loudest here isn't snow in palms, but snow in palms while Seattle breaks the 100 degree record. I think it's fair to say what is being ignored here is the frequency of these rare snow events lately and how they tie into what I'm talking about. The argument is most certainly more specific than the criticism that is being made against it - which, if viewed in this light, makes that criticism more guilty of what it is suggesting than the original argument.
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

#10 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:11 am

Edited out. I was advised by PM I am on thin ice.

I must do better just ignoring global warming as a topic.
Last edited by Ed Mahmoud on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:53 am

Nice and tropical here- but I'd like to see some snow.
Sometimes I wish Florida had a huge mountain stuck in it
that was like 20,000 feet tall so I could climb it and see snow.
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:10 pm

At the current time, and I have changed my mind- I don't know what to think about AGW. Here's some charts to ponder over though:
But remember folks- I am an amateur and lack scientific climate science background-
so I'm just posting this stuff here- don't know how credible it is. Dug it up from old threads and google pictures searches.

0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

Re:

#13 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:13 pm

Tampa Bay Hurricane wrote:Nice and tropical here- but I'd like to see some snow.
Sometimes I wish Florida had a huge mountain stuck in it
that was like 20,000 feet tall so I could climb it and see snow.

It snows more often in Houston than direct hits from hurricanes. We enjoy all four seasons.

http://neotropicals.com/2008/12/10/snow-in-houston-december-10-2008/
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby x-y-no » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:36 pm

Ed Mahmoud wrote:I can't oppose anthropogenic global warming too strongly here, or get into what I believe is behind it, as some of the powers that be here sincerely believe in it as proven science.

You are perfectly free to oppose anthropogenic global warming by discussing facts and scientific research. What you are not free to do, by the rules of this site, is to oppose anthropogenic global warming by political polemic. That includes hypothesising about the political motivations of others.

This has nothing to do with what any of the "powers that be" on this site believe - indeed there's quite a range of opinion among the staff.
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#15 Postby x-y-no » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:48 pm

Tampa Bay Hurricane wrote:Image

Not sure why this is plotting US surface temperature (rather than global surface temperature) vs. solar irradiance. It doesn't really tell us anything.

One thing I'd ask those who argue that solar activity explains recent warming - why are we still seeing top-five global average temperature years despite a very extended, very deep solar minimum?
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

#16 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:11 pm

x-y-no wrote:
Ed Mahmoud wrote:I can't oppose anthropogenic global warming too strongly here, or get into what I believe is behind it, as some of the powers that be here sincerely believe in it as proven science.

You are perfectly free to oppose anthropogenic global warming by discussing facts and scientific research. What you are not free to do, by the rules of this site, is to oppose anthropogenic global warming by political polemic. That includes hypothesising about the political motivations of others.

This has nothing to do with what any of the "powers that be" on this site believe - indeed there's quite a range of opinion among the staff.

I feel strongly on the subject, and it gets me in trouble from time to time, I should just stick to hurricanes, snow and tornadoes. And sports.
0 likes   

Stormavoider
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Re:

#17 Postby Stormavoider » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:55 pm

x-y-no wrote:
Tampa Bay Hurricane wrote:Image

Not sure why this is plotting US surface temperature (rather than global surface temperature) vs. solar irradiance. It doesn't really tell us anything.

One thing I'd ask those who argue that solar activity explains recent warming - why are we still seeing top-five global average temperature years despite a very extended, very deep solar minimum?
hysteresis ?

Why are the Martian ice caps melting?
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#18 Postby x-y-no » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:27 pm

Stormavoider wrote: hysteresis ?

I think you need to say a little more than that. Are you hypothesizing a lag in global temperature response of more than 5 years? How much more? What's the mechanism and what evidence exists to support this hypothesis?

Why are the Martian ice caps melting?

As far as I'm aware, there's no good evidence of any long-term trend on Mars. In the relatively short term (say a few Martian years) the climate dynamics of Mars is dominated by dust storms.

See, for instance, this link.
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#19 Postby somethingfunny » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:50 pm

Rats, it's such a nice photograph too.
0 likes   

HenkL
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby HenkL » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:09 pm

Although snow in Buenos Aires is rather unusual, cold spells are not. Cold air originating from the Antarctic even can reach the Amazon area, dropping temperatures over there.
In Brazil they have a name for such an event: friagem.
0 likes   

Return to “Global Weather”