Rising Sea Swallows Contested Island

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Crostorm
Category 5
Category 5

Rising Sea Swallows Contested Island

#1 Postby Crostorm » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:09 am

(March 25) -- For more than 35 years, India and Bangladesh have been locked in a bitter territorial dispute over New Moore Island, an uninhabited sliver of sludge in the muddy Bay of Bengal.According to Sugata Hazra, director of the School of Oceanographic Studies at Jadavpur University in Kolkata, India, the low-lying isle has disappeared under the rising seas. "There's no trace of the island anymore. After studying satellite images, I confirmed this from fishermen," he told reporters. "Climate change has obliterated the source of dispute." The 81-square-mile island is now classed as a submerged landmass.
http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/ri ... l/19414020
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby brunota2003 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:00 am

Did rising seas swallow it, or did it sink into the seas? Let's not forget islands' sinking habits...
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby KWT » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:00 am

Well I suppose in a strange way global warming may well have helped to put closesure to that dispute.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

alan1961
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Rising Sea Swallows Contested Island

#4 Postby alan1961 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:25 am

Wouldn't be surprised to hear geologists and the like mention
anything to do with the tectonic forces in the indian ocean
with the andaman and nicobar islands fault to the south and
the displacement of the ocean floor this can create with the
quakes in the indian ocean.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#5 Postby RL3AO » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:34 am

So did the Indian Ocean rise 5 feet (or whatever it too to sink the island) only in that spot? I'm pretty sure if the Indian ocean rose by a large about, about 400 million in India, Bangladesh, Burma, ect would be homeless right now and that hasn't been on the news. Probably did sink.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#6 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:14 pm

RL3AO wrote:So did the Indian Ocean rise 5 feet (or whatever it too to sink the island) only in that spot? I'm pretty sure if the Indian ocean rose by a large about, about 400 million in India, Bangladesh, Burma, ect would be homeless right now and that hasn't been on the news. Probably did sink.

Bingo!!
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#7 Postby RL3AO » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:04 pm

So apparently the island was 2m above sea level and the water is rising 5mm per year. Excuse my elementary math skills, but those numbers don't add up. Also, I'm pretty sure someone would notice the entire planets sea level rose 6 feet on a period of a couple decades.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#8 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:44 pm

RL3AO wrote:So apparently the island was 2m above sea level and the water is rising 5mm per year. Excuse my elementary math skills, but those numbers don't add up. Also, I'm pretty sure someone would notice the entire planets sea level rose 6 feet on a period of a couple decades.
Probably about 3-4 billion people, give or take a billion or so would probably have something to say.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby brunota2003 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:57 pm

Funny how the scientists claim the ocean rose, yet us average people said it more than likely sank. Who's right? Most likely it was a mix. A slight rise in the ocean, along with the island sinking (helped by any effects any major storms had on the island).
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re:

#10 Postby RL3AO » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:38 pm

brunota2003 wrote:Funny how the scientists claim the ocean rose, yet us average people said it more than likely sank. Who's right? Most likely it was a mix. A slight rise in the ocean, along with the island sinking (helped by any effects any major storms had on the island).

It was just one guy. Its not fair to lump all scientists in on one guys quote.
0 likes   

Return to “Global Weather”