Any effects from solar flares on 2011 Atl Hurricane Season?

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Any effects from solar flares on 2011 Atl Hurricane Season?

#1 Postby cycloneye » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:23 pm

I am making this thread to see if there is discussion by the peeps and pro mets about any impact from the solar flares that are occuring right now towards having an active season or not.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Any effects from solar flares on 2011 Atl Hurricane Season?

#2 Postby Category 5 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:20 pm

I got to meet a few people at the AMS conference who study space weather, this is a good question, perhaps I'll shoot one of them an email.
0 likes   
"GAME SET MATCH GIANTS WILL WIN THE NFC EAST and have a FIRST ROUND BYE with a win next week!!!" - StormingB81, the Giants lost, and did not win the NFC east.

Javlin
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Javlin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:18 am

We use to have a fella on the board that did alot of space weather and was amazingly accurate when predicting formation periods.I remember if correctly he forcasted a storm formation in Dec.!! weeks ahead? it had to be the 05 season I would think.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4 Postby RL3AO » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:47 pm

I don't see how it could possibly have an impact. Flares impacts are at the polar regions and any auroras are well above the troposphere which is where all weather occurs.

Any serious impact I guess would be a flare knocking out a goes satellite.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#5 Postby cycloneye » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:44 pm

I found an interesting video about strong hurricanes forming after solar flares occured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZWSr99VGcU
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#6 Postby Category 5 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:50 pm

RL3AO wrote:I don't see how it could possibly have an impact.

Neither does my friend, a grad student studying space weather. He mentioned a study of gamma radiation and hurricane activity though, but says it is unproven and VERY heatedly debated. Idk if anyone has read about this.
0 likes   
"GAME SET MATCH GIANTS WILL WIN THE NFC EAST and have a FIRST ROUND BYE with a win next week!!!" - StormingB81, the Giants lost, and did not win the NFC east.

Javlin
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Javlin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:37 pm

Interesting vid but he is cherry picking.I would beg to look at the SF's as a whole and look for events afterwards and there might be alot that nothing occurred?It was Jim Hughes who mentioned a storm in Dec 05 Epsilon.Do I think SF's make a storm happen "No" but could they be a factor like wind shear,sst's and atm temps possibily but I think we are still aways out from finding this out.All alot of what us amateurs do is make possible corellations to cause and effects.
0 likes   

Metalicwx220

#8 Postby Metalicwx220 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:11 pm

That video was amazing!!!!!!..Is that what causes storms to rapidly intensify? Thats probably why tomas or some of the other storms in 2010 didn't become as strong as they predicted because of low solar activity. Or are these just silly coincidences? Lol
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#9 Postby cycloneye » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:36 am

More solar flares shooting out today.

Uploaded by imageshack.us
0 likes   

Metalicwx220

#10 Postby Metalicwx220 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:41 am

:uarrow: Hey does that have any effect on weather?
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#11 Postby somethingfunny » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:45 am

I had heard a lack of solar flares was partially responsible for the insanely cold temperatures in the stratosphere across the globe this winter. So it might affect the placement and strength of high pressure systems and the jet stream, and have an impact on the steering patterns and development regions....

We haven't really had a good solar flare for several years. I don't think it has much effect on tropical cyclones though, or at least not near as much of an effect as other variations.

Can you spot the correlation to active and inactive seasons? Neither can I. :(
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby MGC » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:59 am

I agree with somethingfunny. Also, what happens when a massive flare, the likes of the Carrington Flare in 1859 would fry nearly every satellite in orbit. No GOES images. We would be in deep stuff.....MGC
0 likes   

Return to “Global Weather”