Does anybody know if they have Tornadoes in Europe?

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
2 Seam Fastball
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Does anybody know if they have Tornadoes in Europe?

#1 Postby 2 Seam Fastball » Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:07 pm

If you know of any let me know about it and where and when it happened. OK? Thanks.
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Yes They DO have Tornadoes in Europe

#2 Postby Aslkahuna » Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:41 pm

Depending upon where in Europe you are I've seen reports of them in the Spring through Fall timeframe. They are generally small and are generally
either of the landspout or cold air funnel type such as occur in CA during the Winter. There have been a few tornado fatalities in Europe but not in the numbers we see here. While I was stationed in Germany in the 1970's we had significant tornadoes in Germany (one with Fatalities), France (one with fatalities), some in England and one that hit Naples. There is also video of a fairly substantial tornado in Spain. In fact, for the record, tornadoes have occurred all over the World and I even have a photo of one in the Philippines where there have also been tornado fatalities. The deadliest tornado event in the World occurred in Bangladesh where about 1000 were killed.

Steve
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#3 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:48 pm

Forecasters say that in Britain conditions for tornadoes are ripe only on about 11 days a year, and the vortices tended to be no more than a few metres in size and normally last less than half an hour.

Britain has between 30 and 40 tornadoes every year -- mostly in the southern part of the country -- but they tend to be small and do little damage.

The strongest tornado ever recorded in Britain hit Plymouth in 1810. It was reported to have reached 213 mph -- a T8 rating.

In May 1950, a tornado left a 100-mile trail of damage from Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire, to Blakeney in Norfolk, and in 1971 astonished witnesses saw a twister move a 90-ton railway engine 50 metres along the track.

In January 1998 a 100 mph twister caused an estimated £100,000 damage when it hit the Sussex seaside town of Selsey.

In Europe, a typical tornado is 100 ft or so across, lasts less than 10 minutes and has wind speeds of less than 110 mph.
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby JQ Public » Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:33 pm

Yeh i remember seeing one on the news one time in spain i believe. Like Aslkahuna said, they are rather small and don't do much damage.
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Stormsfury » Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:38 pm

JQ Public wrote:Yeh i remember seeing one on the news one time in spain i believe. Like Aslkahuna said, they are rather small and don't do much damage.

I saw that tornado footage also on Real TV and also on a couple other various programs. That was one of the more impressive storms, and not the typical European tornado.
0 likes   

Return to “Global Weather”