What kind of a cloud formation is this.

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

What kind of a cloud formation is this.

#1 Postby Pburgh » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:16 pm

http://www.city-net.com/~babcock/sunset98.html

If you click home page and then photo gallery on this ladies web sit she has 4 different views. I have pictures at home that are somewhere in my massive amounts of boxes full of photos.

This was breath taking and a little frightening. I still have not found out what caused it. Anyone know??
0 likes   

Colin
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Colin » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:59 pm

Yes, I've heard of and seen other photos of these types of cloud formations - still haven't got an answer to what causes it... but I'm dying to know! :o Those types of cloud formations have also frightened me... they just look like a "fire" in the sky so to say...
0 likes   

Anonymous

#3 Postby Anonymous » Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:42 pm

Those are mammatus clouds. They form when downdrafts push water droplets under the cloud base. Since the droplets contain a high amount of liquid water, they require significant descent before evaporation. Mammatus clouds are usually seen during or after a severe storm, but don't actually cause severe weather.
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Pburgh » Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:30 pm

Rob, actually the weather after these cloud formations was quite beautiful. The weather prior was not severe but was significant.

Colin, you are so right. They look like nothing you've ever seen before. Frightening yet oh so beautiful!!!!!!
0 likes   

Return to “Global Weather”