No Tax Break on Hurricane Supplies in Florida

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

tgenius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

No Tax Break on Hurricane Supplies in Florida

#1 Postby tgenius » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:57 pm

It isn't the end of the world of course, but it kinda sucks there will not be a tax break for Hurricane Supplies as we've grown accustomed to over the last few years.
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breakin ... 99767.html
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2 Postby HURAKAN » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:00 pm

Wow, the economy is so bad that the state can't afford to suspend the taxes for a period of time. Tough times we're living.
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

Re: No Tax Break on Hurricane Supplies in Florida

#3 Postby Category 5 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:01 pm

Wow, two years off and it's not a priority anymore. Further proof that most of the people in charge are just complete idiots. It only matters when it strengthens to a Category 5 and is bearing down on them. :roll:
0 likes   

MiamiensisWx

#4 Postby MiamiensisWx » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:15 pm

"It only matters when it strengthens to a Category 5 and is bearing down on them."

Fortunately, that's not the case for the majority of residents and emergency managers. Let me re-emphasize it again: hurricane readiness is a definite BRANCH of general preparedness for any emergency situation. I think the biggest issue is the mentality among some officials that preparedness ends before and after June 1-November 30. You have to consider severe wx, flooding, coastal rescues, winter wx, and human-induced disasters. Basics such as flashlights, batteries, canned soups, et al are essential for an entire year. If you don't have these very simple and frugal things year round, you are really making a simple and straightforward issue into a mountain, which leaves yourself more unprepared when the TC season arrives. I always have these supplies on stock in my residence. The fact is that the aftermath of an event demands that the person(s) stick to the basics of survival, which is the essence of year round readiness. It's very simple. It does NOT require excessive planning and money. In other words, you are simply clueless if you don't prepare and start with the basics, since the whole process is quite simplistic. There is no excuse.

Basic economics is very useful. I have one compact water-proof flashlight that does not require usage of batteries.
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

#5 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:34 pm

Well, Governor Crist isn't of exactly the same philosophical bent of Jeb Bush, who besides seeing the benefit of hurricane preparedness, also realized lower taxes sometimes increase revenue by stimulating economic activity.

Crist's hostility to the big insurance companies, and his populist bent on making Florida a difficult state for insurance companies to operate in, means short term lower rates on insurance backed by the state's insurance pool, but means the state will be on the hook in a big way when a disasterous hurricane hits a highly populated area.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby DanKellFla » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:58 am

I think that we should be grateful while it lasted. Right now, things are tough. So, I think we sould be happy to have had it and hope that it will return eventually.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#7 Postby HURAKAN » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:17 am

:uarrow: Interesting that you mention "hope" since usually the last thing to fade away!!!
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#8 Postby DanKellFla » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:37 am

HURAKAN wrote::uarrow: Interesting that you mention "hope" since usually the last thing to fade away!!!

It's either that or I go jump off a building.

I don't believe that the Hurricane Supply tax break is a good idea to keep permanent anyways. Unlike school, which happens every year, hurricanes don't. That doesn diminish our repsponsibility to be prepared, but it does give nearly everybody a chance to buy items when they are on sale or when there is a little extra money around. Most people can spare a few dollars occaionally for the basic non-perishable supplies. In a 24 month period, it should be painless to buy some batteries, extra water and some extra canned goods. Having a tax-holiday encourages people to wait for that time of year. If the holiday doesn't come, then what? Wait for next year? That is exactly what we don't want to happen.
I think that having an occasional tax holiday for hurricane supplies is a good thing to encourage awareness. But we all have to remember to be responsible for our own preparedness. ( And, be a helpful neighboor when necessary.)
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby gtalum » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:51 am

Ed Mahmoud wrote:Well, Governor Crist isn't of exactly the same philosophical bent of Jeb Bush, who besides seeing the benefit of hurricane preparedness, also realized lower taxes sometimes increase revenue by stimulating economic activity.

That can work for reducing income taxes, but not for eliminating sales taxes. Remember, the sales tax is the state's only avenue for collecting revenue. In a year when the state is forced to cut its budget, it just doesn't make sense to reduce revenue, even by a relatively small sum like $14 Million. That's just another $14 Million that would have to be cut from already strained budgets. I am very much a fiscal conservative, but I want my state to run in the black and not incur debt even more than I want reduced taxes.

Crist's hostility to the big insurance companies...

Is one of his big selling points, IMHO. He needs to be even tougher, threatening the profitable auto insurance business of insurance companies who don't cooperate.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”