Battery powered HDTV?

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Battery powered HDTV?

#21 Postby MGC » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:21 pm

There was no radio or TV for several days here on the MGC after Katrina. All the transmitters were down. It was like the world came to an end. The only positive thing about the whole mess was all the beautiful stars at night. Those 3 long weeks without power, and 4 months without running water were tough.....MGC
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#22 Postby wxman57 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:37 pm

As most of you are aware, your old standby 5" B&W portable or small color portable TV will become obsolete in a few months once no more analog TV signals are broadcast. The only way you might be able to use one of these would be if you had a powered digital to analog converter box, an external antenna, and your old portable TV would have to have antenna inputs for the converter box to plug in to. Not likely.

I've been doing a bit of research on portable TVs that will work after the full transition to digital TV in June. The good news is that we're in an area with quite a few TV signals that they'll pick up, I've heard up to 30-40 channels. And prices on small digital LCDs are falling. You can get a 7" color LCD for around $90-$150 now, as seen here:

http://stormprepare.com/Battery_TV.htm

The pictures on these digital LCDs are great, even getting High-Def TV locally.

Now the bad news - they all appear to come with built-in rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. By "built-in", they mean that they're internal and can't be swapped out. You must have a power source to recharge them. And the battery life is 2 hours or less. LCDs appear to draw a lot more power than old analog TVs, so there's no option for powering one with a few AA batteries, apparently.

So, after a hurricane, your only option is to either have a generator, in which case you could power your big screen digital TV vs. 7" LCD, or you could purchase an automobile power inverter like this Tripp-Lite inverter which I purchased:

http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products/mo ... delID=2552

It has 2 outlets and can output up to 375 watts. Now you DO have to have your car's engine running when using the inverter or your battery will drain quickly. And you'll have to back your car out of your garage while the engine is running. My neighbor used an inverter to power small appliances during Ike.
0 likes   

lizzyjakers
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#23 Postby lizzyjakers » Mon May 24, 2010 12:47 pm

As far I know, there is no such HDTV which is run by a battery now. I know some regular TV's that run by a battery. Well, I just hope they will create this stuff so it can be placed or brought wherever.
Last edited by lizzyjakers on Fri May 28, 2010 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#24 Postby CajunMama » Tue May 25, 2010 3:42 pm

I get points for using my debit card as a credit card. With it i'm getting a dvd/digital 7" portable tv. :) and i don't even have to pay for shipping :) :)

This is what i'm getting http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PET729-37-Portable-Player/dp/B002P3KMLW . Has good reviews too!

Edit 6/8/10 to add: I'm quite impressed with this tv/dvd. Clear picture, good sound. I didn't pick up one local channel but they have a weak signal. Overall i'm very satisfied.
0 likes   

dolebot_Broward_NW
Category 2
Category 2

#25 Postby dolebot_Broward_NW » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:17 am

As far I know, there is no such HDTV which is run by a battery now. I know some regular TV's that run by a battery. Well, I just hope they will create this stuff so it can be placed or brought wherever.

They did, for some time now:

This one runs on regular alkaline AA's (replaceable)
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=3902971

This one is rechargable via wall wart or car cigarette lighter.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=3324197

Both will tune ATSC (aka digital or HD broadcast).
0 likes   

weatherSnoop
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby weatherSnoop » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:25 pm

new image digital has a Digital 7" tv that comes with a AA battery pack. BatterySavers.com has a 12 hr power source (slot for car adaptor and usb port) that runs on D cell batteries. I am still trying to decide which way the wind will blow for me.
0 likes   
Lee

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby Frank P » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:41 pm

I got a Haier 7" portable HD TV for 65 bucks from Amazon.com.. A friend gave me an outdoor HDTV antenna.. I put it in my attic.. I get 7 HD stations with it.. and I can hook it up to all my TVs if I run my generator... The Haier has a wall and car battery charger also... did not pick up anything with the rabbit ears it came with.. Did pick up 3 stations with a portable HD antenna... but the best set up was the HD antenna I set up in the attic.. and I don't have to worry about it being blown away by high wind..
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”