Repairing ALuminum Bahama shutters... DISsimilar metals issu

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Strings
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Repairing ALuminum Bahama shutters... DISsimilar metals issu

#1 Postby Strings » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:15 pm

Gang, I find myself managing a hip beachside property which has the bulbous "airfoil" style fold-down Bahamas shutters--the newer versions with multiple braces in both axes--NOT the Cat 1 rated shells from the 1960s, lol.

Anyway, it appears the factory assembled them with aluminum sheet metal screws. Some of those screws have torn loose, due to salt corrosion... and various abuses. I think it would be jury-rigging to just jam bigger sheet metal screws into the worn-out holes. I would rather re-fasten things with machine screws, washers, and nuts... but what MATERIAL will cause the least dissimilar metals (galvanic) reaction, especially in a SALT-SPRAY environment?

There's not much available in the way of ALuminum machine screws, but lots in the way of stainless steel and brass...

Any relevant experiences with this?

Thanks in advance... 8-)
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby DanKellFla » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:39 pm

Stainless Steel screws... but those are VERY expensive. There is a great hardware store near the water plant in Hollywood. I can't remember the name. That will be cheaper than going to a marine supply place..... maybe.
0 likes   

WeatherLovingDoc
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Repairing ALuminum Bahama shutters... DISsimilar metals issu

#3 Postby WeatherLovingDoc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:33 pm

Dear Hubby had this problem with our front aluminum screen door. The screw was aluminum and the nut brass or such, and the combination let to erosion.

Talked with him and he suggests you look for aluminum nuts, bolts, screws as same metal on metal doesn't galvanize.

Good luck. WLD
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

Re: Repairing ALuminum Bahama shutters... DISsimilar metals issu

#4 Postby Dionne » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:46 am

Atlas bolt and screw co. They have an online tech support.

You might consider an aluminum rivet.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”