Advice for someone living directly on the ocean?

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Infdidoll
Category 2
Category 2

Advice for someone living directly on the ocean?

#1 Postby Infdidoll » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:37 pm

My husband is a Marine and we're stationed in Okinawa. I don't know all that much about preparing for typhoons since we just moved here. I've never had to worry about them before. Our apartment is in a thick, concrete structure that is about 8 stories tall. We have bay windows in the bedrooms to see the ocean and a wall of glass windows and a sliding door in our living room. Beautiful most of the time, as you can imagine, but all those great windows are worrying me as far as flying glass.

But what do us seafaring folk do for typhoons and hurricanes? Living so close to the ocean, what recommendations would you have? We're on the first floor but the building is elevated with a parking lot underneath. We also have several walls separating us from the ocean. I don't know if we could possibly have to worry about flooding or not because of this?

We are also renting so we can't exactly drive nails through the walls to hang plywood, not that it would be very easy anyway with the walls being concrete. Is taping the windows really effective? Any other solutions? I've heard to put towels around the windows because even though our windows seem pretty sturdy and are built to seal when shut, they could still leak.

We barely moved here and just heard a category 5 is coming this way that we thought was going to miss us by a longshot. It's time to start making preparations that apparently should have been made the moment we stepped foot onto the island. I was prepared for a category 1 or 2 - I've heard those happen here all the time...but a category 5? Yikes. The island is only about 60 miles long so we really don't have the option to evacuate. Any suggestions besides peeing my pants? :wink:
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Advice for someone living directly on the ocean?

#2 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:22 pm

No need to pee your pants, though I understand the feeling having gone through several Hurricanes.

I would contact your landlord or building management about what you can and can't do about the windows. I presume you know about stocking up on non-perishables, etc.(though I am not sure you have to worry as much about loss of electricity there as we do in the states). I would doubt you have to worry about flooding since the building is elevated, but if you have a vehicle parked in the garage I would get it up at least a few stories in the garage. I know what to do in the states, so that is where my suggestions come from. The one thing that does concern me is the windows and your elevation. The higher up the stronger the wind will be. Again, I would presume the buildings are built to withstand a lot, but don't presume, as I said above, ask management.
0 likes   

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby StormingB81 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:27 pm

I am stationed in Okinawa as well. From what I was told these are Break proof glass and can withstand 200 MPH winds. They may bend a little but wont break. 2 years ago when a Major typhoon named Man-yi came through they held there own. I wasnt here but people tell me it was crazy here.
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#4 Postby JonathanBelles » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:14 pm

Yea, I would ask management. All taping the windows does is keep the glass from flying far, not too effective. If you can board the windows, do so. If you can go inland away from the sea, do so. Put all of your valuables up and and high as you can. If you have stuff on shelves take them down. If the building sways with the wind they will fall. Waterproof all of your important documents. Be prepared to sustain yourself for at least 72 hours (food, water, clothes, ect.).
0 likes   

Infdidoll
Category 2
Category 2

#5 Postby Infdidoll » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:49 am

Thank you for the advice...if you can think of anything, keep them coming! If there was somewhere else to go more inland, I might go...but from what I've heard it's not much safer because of landslides and the higher elevation there will also mean more wind. We are SOL with the cars...our parking area is only one level...and it's at sea level on the other side of the wall. I might see if my husband wants to park them at a store down the road with a big parking lot.

I just got news that they might send him back to the states for a few days. His unit offered to "help" me, but I don't know how much help they would be until the storm is over with. Now my stomach is in knots! :( Since we have only lived here a short time, I haven't really gotten to know many people yet, unfortunately, so I don't really have anywhere to go. Guess I'd better have him take down our satellite dish, too, before he goes. I'd rather go without TV while he's gone than trying to lean precarious angles to get that stupid thing down with a wrench.

A friend of ours who isn't on island, right now, married an Okinawan girl. She came to our house once and warned us that we would have water coming over our balcony. It's hard for me to even fathom that with the distance we are from the ocean...but she lived here most of her life.

As you can see, we're pretty close. Wasn't sure how being so close to the water factors in weathering out the storm. I think we are going to see what the landlord's suggestions are.
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#6 Postby JonathanBelles » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:00 am

Do you know if there are any shelters there? Even better, are there shelters on the base?
0 likes   

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby StormingB81 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:04 am

There are shelters on base. ussually at the base gyms. maybe the schools I do not know. depending what Base you are on. they will put that out though
0 likes   

Infdidoll
Category 2
Category 2

#8 Postby Infdidoll » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:21 am

I might look into that depending on how situations are looking. I've never had to stay in a shelter before, so I'm not sure what that's like. My husband is fighting the massive crowd at the commissary (the word has gotten out there, fast!) and then he said he will try to get in touch with our leasing agent to see what their suggestions are. The general attitude around here always seems to be, "Quit freaking out, it's no big deal. It's just a storm!" but I might rather stay at a shelter than be stuck here with two young kids alone. We're kind of in that 'not quite reality' state where it hasn't hit us yet that this could be really bad (sitll riding on those forecasts by agencies and storm watchers cheering that it will turn before it gets to us) As we get more info, we'll have to start making decisions which means I'd better get the house in order, just in case.

So after seeing the photos, you're saying you don't think you would risk it?
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby brunota2003 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:08 am

I will say this, never tape the windows, regardless of where you live! Tape does nothing more than make even larger shards of glass flying at you if the window gives in. Then once the hurricane or typhoon has passed, the windows that didn't break you got to remove the tape (and the adhesive) from the windows...not fun at all
0 likes   

jommarjohn
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re:

#10 Postby jommarjohn » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:22 pm

brunota2003 wrote:I will say this, never tape the windows, regardless of where you live! Tape does nothing more than make even larger shards of glass flying at you if the window gives in. Then once the hurricane or typhoon has passed, the windows that didn't break you got to remove the tape (and the adhesive) from the windows...not fun at all

I think sometimes is too risky to stay living at near the ocean because you know what is going to happen if the hurricane is there.

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”