Local Gov Emergency Gas Reservoirs

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Local Gov Emergency Gas Reservoirs

#1 Postby ravyrn » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:28 pm

I skimmed the forum before posting this, and though I saw a thread regarding personal gas storage, I didn't see one regarding actual reservoirs for local/county gas storage. Living in Lake Charles, LA, I got to experience firsthand the insanity that was an evacuation for Rita. Followed by Gustav, Ike, and a few others close calls. A major issue during the evacuation for many people was the inability to find gas and people running out of gas while still on the evacuation routes. I was fortunate enough to have filled up well in advance of Rita just to be safe. To drive 50 miles north was on average an 8-12 hour drive for those who started past noon on the initial day Rita's track shifted to us. Luckily for me, growing up in the area, I knew all the dirt backroads to get me back to my hometown 50 miles north and it only took me about 70 minutes.

Anyways, back to my point of the thread, do you guys know if any local/county governments actually have gas reservoirs built up for emergency situations such as a mass evacuation of a well populated area? From what I've seen the last three evacuations I've been in the last five years, at least for Calcasieu Parish --- the answer is: NO. That is just my personal opinion however, and may in fact be false. But to say the least any such system my area does have in place proved extremely inefficient. Could some more savvy members of the forums weigh in regarding this matter? If I am wrong, I apologize. However, if I am right, and this is true for other hurricane prone areas, perhaps we as a community could do something to raise awareness regarding this issue and maybe get some more planning and thought put into this sector of hurricane preparedness?
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”