Scott's usual plywood rant

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Scott_inVA
Storm2k Forecaster
Storm2k Forecaster

Scott's usual plywood rant

#1 Postby Scott_inVA » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:29 pm

Time for my usual rant

90% of my arguments here are on the matter of people buying plywood 2 days before a TC makes landfall (Home Depot thread is the latest).

Please don't buy plywood and nail or screw into walls if you don't know the proper way to do so.

"Most resort to using plywood attached to the structure using various types of methods. The least effective method, used by many people with minimal time to prepare, is to let the plywood overlap the window opening and attach it to the structure using concrete nails. This technique can cause more harm than good since in even moderately high winds, most of these poorly-attached boards will be ripped off and become dangerous flying missiles!"

full story and tips here:
http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/shutters/index2.html

According to FEMA, homeowner constructed plywood window covers (done correctly) take ~3 hours per window. If you have 10 windows to say nothing of doors or garage, rather difficult to do the job safely in a day.

If you are hellbent on the ability to board up (read: what the hell was going on in April???), please take off the entire week to learn the correct way, purchase material and do the job. You have 5 days before the maelstrom begins.

[author personal note: while working at a radio station in Portland, ME during Gloria '85, I observed at Cape Elizabeth a sheet of plywood wedged in the rear window of a pick-up truck. It came off a home two houses down from where it landed in the truck. I'm glad no one was in between the house and the truck; they'd have been sliced in two. I do not believe Gloria's gusts exceeded 80MPH at that location...but the result was obvious. Doesn't take a Cat-4 to blow shoddy work off the side of a building[/ personal note].

Please use this time to review your plans if there's a chance this or another TC can clobber you. You dis-serve your family/home/business if you are one of the Lame-o's on the TV News joking around at Lowe's. If you don't have proper window and door protection now, you probably won't.

This post will get buried so take a look at Mike's sticky on preparedness. Special note to inlanders: the WREL site has an excellent inland resource page: http://www.wrel.com/stormcenter.htm ; that has loads of information and suggestions.

Don't waste time doing things that probably don't help. Use prep time wisely.

end of rant.

Scott
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby wx247 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:32 pm

Thanks Scott. This will come in handy for those in harms way.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Stormsfury » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:36 pm

This post will get buried

No, it won't ... I Stickied it for now ...
0 likes   

Agua
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Agua » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:37 pm

VERY GOOD information in the embedded links.

Bunp.
0 likes   

scogor
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby scogor » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:44 pm

Thanks Scott. Weather permitting, we are out of here over the weekend. Not looking forward to bringing the plants in again but after seeing what Charley did in Charlotte County I am not leaving any potential projectiles outside!!
0 likes   

btsgmdad
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby btsgmdad » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:33 pm

It would be wise to start early this time. The worst that could happen is you have wood on hand for the next scare that comes your way.
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Cookiely » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:33 pm

I have a question on projectiles. My mother loves to garden and makes wooden boxes around the rows. There are loose 12ft 2X8 on the ground. I can barely lift one end. Will they be safe laying in the garden? Also, she has bricks lining flower beds (are they safe to leave, there are almost a hundred of them).
0 likes   

Scott_inVA
Storm2k Forecaster
Storm2k Forecaster

#8 Postby Scott_inVA » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:36 pm

Cookiely wrote:I have a question on projectiles. My mother loves to garden and makes wooden boxes around the rows. There are loose 12ft 2X8 on the ground. I can barely lift one end. Will they be safe laying in the garden? Also, she has bricks lining flower beds (are they safe to leave, there are almost a hundred of them).

Landscape timbers probably are safe unless there's a tornado, then there are bigger issues. Loose bricks can be blown or moved by objects in motion bu if they're "stuck" in the ground, probably okay.
Last edited by Scott_inVA on Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Cookiely » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:40 pm

Thank you Scott.
0 likes   

incogneato
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#10 Postby incogneato » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:39 pm

Scott, thank you so much for this post. DH was planning on starting to install plywood shutters tomorrow, and sure enough he was going to be using the "wrong" method described in the article. Thanks for the heads-up on that!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”