Sofla Preps-NOT

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Sofla Preps-NOT

#1 Postby jlauderdal » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:37 am

So here we are in sofla and its business as usual with a cane that could easily have more of an effect on us than Frances. Sofla started shutting down thursday for frances with a similiar landfall timefram to Jeanne. Today the raods are crowded and i don;t see much action as far as shutters going back up. Amazing how inconsistent things get. Maybe everyone feels like an old pro and i assume most people already have their plywood and leftover supplies. Also, there are plenty of shutters still up.
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby fci » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:39 am

Either people are REAL ready from the last time or ignoring this.
Home Depot had flashlights and batteries this AM.
By Thursday last time they were cleaned out completely.
0 likes   

Kiern
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3 Postby Kiern » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:41 am

In my experience, it has been the opposite. You can't even get in Publix and Home Depot is already limiting plywood.
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby jlauderdal » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:42 am

fci wrote:Either people are REAL ready from the last time or ignoring this.
Home Depot had flashlights and batteries this AM.
By Thursday last time they were cleaned out completely.

Its truly amazing...i would like to think everyone has stuff in place and the prep time is much shorter. Also the media hasnt bombarded us with 24 x 7 coverage 72 hours ina dvance so that has something to do with it. i guess it takes a direct hit for people to be a little more aggressive with preps.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Brent » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:42 am

They aren't paying attention IMO because Frances barely did anything in Miami/Dade and Broward Counties. The residents expect the same this time...
0 likes   
#neversummer

Zadok
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby Zadok » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:43 am

We left the last time and didn't put shutters up. When we got back there wasn't even a scratch on one window or one shingle off the roof. All the trees were knocked down but those trees were not native to florida anyway.
0 likes   

hiflyer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby hiflyer » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:46 am

think for Dade and Broward it is just that we have gone thru this excerise this summer how many times? If any home down here does not have 12 cans of ez open baked beans by now they will never have it...same with plywood. Good portion folks who had shutters left at least part up and now know pretty well how long it takes to put them up...practice helps. Neighborhoods have formed little groups of 5-6 houses that go en masse to each house and do the shutters as a block party.

The other side is that a good majority down here think they are a little more educated on storms/distance/forecast and are using a bit more of a 'practiced eye' to see what needs to be done and when....best example is that Dade and Broward ane not shutting down like they did for Frances...normal work and school day today. They know what they got with Frances going about the same path....and they are making judgements based on it....right or wrong.
0 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby WeatherEmperor » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:47 am

Brent wrote:They aren't paying attention IMO because Frances barely did anything in Miami/Dade and Broward Counties. The residents expect the same this time...

That is just about sums it up here. People think it will be another Palm Beach affair so nothing serious is being done here in south Broward just yet.

<RICKY>
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby jlauderdal » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:54 am

WeatherEmperor wrote:
Brent wrote:They aren't paying attention IMO because Frances barely did anything in Miami/Dade and Broward Counties. The residents expect the same this time...

That is just about sums it up here. People think it will be another Palm Beach affair so nothing serious is being done here in south Broward just yet.

<RICKY>

if it heads due west and doesnt turn its going aventura to miramar
0 likes   

Jevo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby Jevo » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:10 am

I just got back from a Publix here in north Broward... it was a breeze easy in and out.. I even picked up 2 bottles of Tonic... This time if Im locked inI m gunna have some darn vodka and tonic
0 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby WeatherEmperor » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:14 am

jlauderdal wrote:
WeatherEmperor wrote:

<RICKY>

if it heads due west and doesnt turn its going aventura to miramar

actually jlauderal it appears that Jeanne is just about due East of your latitude. Roland actually agrees and mentioned that if this is the case, he will need to go hide underground in his secret bunker at NBC6(which happens to be here in Miramar, just around the corner of my house.)

<RICKY>
0 likes   

Terry
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby Terry » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:15 am

Some Jewish friends of mine are basically ignoring the storm and prepping for Yom Kippur which begins at sundown tonite. That's worrisome since they won't listen to radio/tv, etc. for 24 hrs. I think.
0 likes   

miamijaaz
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13 Postby miamijaaz » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:18 am

People seem to have forgotten the lessons of Andrew. Andrew initially was aiming at the broward/palm beach line. After a series of wobbles, we all know where it ended up.

By the way, it appears she just wobbled to the southwest.
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby jlauderdal » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:39 am

Jevo wrote:I just got back from a Publix here in north Broward... it was a breeze easy in and out.. I even picked up 2 bottles of Tonic... This time if Im locked inI m gunna have some darn vodka and tonic

dude,
the alcohol preperations always come first and than you start considering the other stuff..you also must consider what you can drink warm..scotch and whiskey are in my cabinet, red wine is fine warm also. vodka works with crystal light, no ice required.
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby x-y-no » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:39 am

Partly I think a lot of people are already prepared because of the Frances & Ivan scares ... even people I know who don't normally do anything till the last minute have basically got everything still.

If she doesn't trend at least a little northerly today, I'm putting up shutters again tomorrow morning.
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby jlauderdal » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:41 am

x-y-no wrote:Partly I think a lot of people are already prepared because of the Frances & Ivan scares ... even people I know who don't normally do anything till the last minute have basically got everything still.

If she doesn't trend at least a little northerly today, I'm putting up shutters again tomorrow morning.

i was just at home depot in miami lakes and the place was empty..no lines at all. i hope this doesnt mean we are going to get whacked.
0 likes   

Canelaw99
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby Canelaw99 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:17 am

jlauderdal wrote:
Jevo wrote:I just got back from a Publix here in north Broward... it was a breeze easy in and out.. I even picked up 2 bottles of Tonic... This time if Im locked inI m gunna have some darn vodka and tonic

dude,
the alcohol preperations always come first and than you start considering the other stuff..you also must consider what you can drink warm..scotch and whiskey are in my cabinet, red wine is fine warm also. vodka works with crystal light, no ice required.

Another good prep is to stick some of your liquor in the freezer (esp. the vodka) keeps it nice and chilled for a longer time :) *makes mental note to go to liquor store today*
0 likes   

Foladar

#18 Postby Foladar » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:20 am

It will most likely be the same for Miami-Dade..dunno bout broward
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”