EVACUATE: Poll says 1-in-5... Seems more like 5-in-10...

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

EVACUATE: Poll says 1-in-5... Seems more like 5-in-10...

#1 Postby Ixolib » Wed May 04, 2005 5:15 pm

What are your thoughts? Seems to me that more and more folks have decided that they are going to stay put. From what I hear around town, many would rather stay than fight the traffic and traffic jams.

POLL: ONE IN FIVE WON’T EVACUATE FOR HURRICANE
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/palmbeach/sfl-pspoll04may04,0,6771323,print.story?coll=sfla-news-palm

(AP) _ A new survey indicates one in five coastal residents from Texas to Maine would stay home in case of a hurricane. One in three would wait until a hurricane warning is posted to protect their property.

The results are similar to previous years. That indicates Florida's walloping last year didn't change many people's minds about storm preparations.

The findings in the Mason-Dixon poll support a report by the National Hurricane Center, the Salvation Army and the National Association of Emergency Managers. They say coastal residents are dangerously unprepared for big storms.

Experts are predicting a busier than average year for the season starting June 1.
0 likes   

T'Bonz
Category 1
Category 1

#2 Postby T'Bonz » Wed May 04, 2005 10:56 pm

The problem is, where I live, there are only two ways out.

One is to evac over to Naples, a lateral move.

The main way is north, via the turnpike or I-95. Given the gridlock that is usual for these places, if a cat 3 or above came, I hate to think how long it would take to get far enough north to get away.

On a good, light-traffic day, it takes 3 hours to get to Orlando, 5 to Tampa via Alligator Alley/I-75 or 6 hours up to the border of Georgia.

DOUBLE that if there was a hurricane barreling down on us. And count on some of the same jerk counties in Central Florida to shut the exits so that we terrible S. Floridians don't pollute their pristine counties. At least one county did this during a hurricane evac not so long ago.

So would YOU go on the road?

It's a damnable choice. I want out if there is a cat 3 or higher hurricane due to hit my county, but will I get enough lead-time? And will I be able to find somewhere safe to stay? Will I be trapped on the highway? And what if the forecast is off and I end up driving into it and have to ride out a cat 3 in a hotel?

People aren't just lazy or uncaring of the danger. They KNOW the danger, especially if they lived here during Andrew. They just have to make sure they're not putting themselves in more danger by evac-ing than if they stayed at home.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby gtalum » Thu May 05, 2005 1:06 pm

Does it make sense to evacuate if you're outside of the evacuation zones?

My home is ~5 miles inland and well outside of all of the flood zones, and thus is not in an avacuation zone. That's why I would stay put.
0 likes   

krysof

#4 Postby krysof » Fri May 06, 2005 3:58 pm

areas north of the Carolinas don't even bother preparing for anything, because people in those areas don't think about hurricanes, they have a lot more problems with coastal storms or winter nor'easters.
0 likes   

SeaBrz_FL
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby SeaBrz_FL » Fri May 06, 2005 5:35 pm

T'Bonz wrote:... And count on some of the same jerk counties in Central Florida to shut the exits so that we terrible S. Floridians don't pollute their pristine counties. At least one county did this during a hurricane evac not so long ago.

Very interesting! :eek: Which county?! Which exits? Off the Turnpike or I-95?
0 likes   

T'Bonz
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby T'Bonz » Fri May 06, 2005 5:38 pm

It was off the turnpike. I remember it, because I was really pissed at the county at the time.
0 likes   

SeaBrz_FL
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby SeaBrz_FL » Fri May 06, 2005 8:24 pm

T'Bonz wrote:It was off the turnpike. I remember it, because I was really pissed at the county at the time.

Damn, too bad you don't remember which County. I'd love to contact their EMS or Sheriff's Dept to find out what that was all about, AND more importantly, make sure it doesn't happen THIS YEAR (if necessary)!

SB
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”