Great Coffee without Electricity...

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

weathermom
Category 2
Category 2

#21 Postby weathermom » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:57 pm

Hey!!! I really do go camping! I do have 2 of the old fashioned perk pots among my camping supplies. (different sizes depending on how many coffee drinkers will be with us) When we come home from a camping trip I always use them for a while, because the drip coffee just doesn't do it after having real perked coffee. Unfortunately, due to camping I also am very well acquainted with "old style facilities" (read outhouses), I guess I could easily pass myself off as someone much older!
0 likes   

ishop
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#22 Postby ishop » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:11 am

Swimdude thanks for this post -- I printed it out and also copy/paste and sharing it with a whole bunch of folks. Great stuff.

Ishop
0 likes   

AdvAutoBob
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Another alternative

#23 Postby AdvAutoBob » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:30 pm

I found these at the local BJ's... Self-heating 'latte" style drinks, marketed under the Wolfgang Puck name. Completely self-contained and the taste is great, if you like these sort of drinks (lattes, mochas, etc.).
0 likes   

hiflyer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby hiflyer » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:18 pm

Did the modify the electric drip carafe using a charcol grill to heat the water and cook eggsa nd bacon at the same time...had neighbors lined up within minutes with coffee cups in their hands after Wilma as we went without power for a few days. Don't think I had ever made a better tasting cup of coffee....grin 8-) But next trip to WalMart is going to be for a hunt for a nonelectric perc unit I think.
0 likes   

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby KatDaddy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:02 am

Swimdude that is great stuff.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#26 Postby Dionne » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:10 pm

It's called dirty sock coffee. You put the coffee grounds into the sock and then dip the sock into the hot water. Keep adding grounds to the sock......don't empty....up to a certain point. It's cool because you re-use grounds that are still good. We started this technique while we lived at mile marker 92 on the Parks highway in central Alaska.
0 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby Patrick99 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:06 pm

alicia-w wrote:A French Press is the only way to make coffee, with or without electricity.

My local Starbucks is actually touting them as an essential hurricane supply. If I had a gas range and could thus heat up water, I'd be inclined to agree. Otherwise, I'd have to take some fallen wood, dig a pit somewhere, build a fire, and boil water over hot coals.

On the plus side, if I did all that for it, I think it would result in the best couple cups of coffee I'd ever have.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby DanKellFla » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:20 pm

A French press? My mother-in-law is French. And I used to have a French Press until she broke it. She pressed too hard. That would make it a French over-pressed.

But yes, it makes a great cup of coffee. Not a bad item to have around the house, but they don't travel well.
0 likes   

jusforsean
Category 1
Category 1

coffee

#29 Postby jusforsean » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:34 pm

I have the old fashioned perculator pot by farberware and I have learned that if you set it up minus the water and then pour the water in the top ( with the top cover off of course) the water filters thru the grinds and makes pretty good coffe. If not strong enough do it twice. We use coals and a grill or habatchi to heat up water.
0 likes   

MomH
Category 1
Category 1

#30 Postby MomH » Thu May 04, 2006 2:29 pm

I am old enough to remember my grandmother putting egg shells in the pot she had boiled coffee in to settle the grounds. Tasted fine to me --but then if it isn't so strong that it would float a whole egg, I'm just fine.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#31 Postby angelwing » Mon May 08, 2006 10:00 am

I love perked coffee, last time I had it was about 20 years ago, been trying to find an old fashioned pot no luck...also trying to find an old fashioned phone, you know the kind you have an actual dial...when our apt lost power for 2 days had to go to the phone booth to make calls as at the time we didn't have a cell phone and I know that if we had the old fashioned one we could have made calls since you really don't need the electric for it.
0 likes   

melhow
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#32 Postby melhow » Mon May 08, 2006 2:19 pm

I sent my best friend in West Palm a french press to add to her hurricane kit. She was a basketcase after day four and no power during Wilma. I've had mine for coming up on ten years - it goes camping with me every spring and fall. I just wrap her up in a little towel and remember not to sit on the bag she's in.

French press, whisperlight, and a skillet, and you are set for anything.

And, P.S., who else agrees that campers make the most outstanding hurricane-warriors? My husband is an eagle scout and an avid camper/fisherman/hunter, and we pretty much had all the ingredients for our hurricane kit before we even formally started making one. Sweet!
0 likes   

bevgo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby bevgo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:01 pm

QUOTE: Kill fleas instantly: Dawn dishwashing liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog's bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Good-bye fleas.

Will this kill fleas in carpet too????

I jsut bought my mom a camping perculator for her gas grill so she does not have to make coffee by putting coffee grounds in boiling water on the grill. I have seen this way too many times.
0 likes   

bevgo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby bevgo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:06 pm

Whoooooooo Hooooooo! I just finally made it to 500.
0 likes   

bosag
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

great coffee w/out electricity

#35 Postby bosag » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:27 am

Angelwing have you tried looking thru you local thrift stores or Goodwill for a percolator? I found my Corning 6 cup there for only 3.00!

Barb
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#36 Postby angelwing » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:58 am

Been looking bosag, in fact I just pawned a whole bunch of things as I am very short on cash (my paycheck for 5/31 hasnt' come yet)so I was looking, no go, sigh.
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Another alternative

#37 Postby Persepone » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:53 pm

AdvAutoBob wrote:I found these at the local BJ's... Self-heating 'latte" style drinks, marketed under the Wolfgang Puck name. Completely self-contained and the taste is great, if you like these sort of drinks (lattes, mochas, etc.).

Be very, very careful of these self-heating "latte" style drinks. About a week ago (6/12/06 is when I'm writing this) there was a government recall posted against them because apparently some batches are contaminated by some nasty bacteria!

Check the food and drug administration's recall website--I don't have the link handy but this could be important!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”