Anyone in Palm Beach County?

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

southeast fl
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Anyone in Palm Beach County?

#1 Postby southeast fl » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:11 pm

Just wondering what everyone's doing as far as preparation? Are you putting up shutters? We're not making the decision until tomorrow (Friday), because we are confused as to the track and intensity. We keep hearing it will be a Cat 2-3 at landfall (possibly a Cat. 2 in PBC) and then we hear it might be a Cat. 1 at landfall. That is, if it even makes it's way across to our neck of the woods. Some people in my neighborhood have already put up their shutters. We have a 2-story house and a lot of windows/doors so it takes awhile to put them up.

We are definitely making the investment in those roll-up shutters for next hurricane season! Oh, how I envy anyone who has those! 8-)
0 likes   

Vandora
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2 Postby Vandora » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:17 pm

Hi there. :) I'm not in PBC but this thread might be somewhere for you to check out for Palm Beach/Broward/Miami-Dade/Monroe residents:

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic ... highlight=
0 likes   

Bob R
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Bob R » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:18 pm

Hi,

(DISCLAIMER: The following information is based solely on my opinion and assumptions and has not basis in fact, science or metaphysics):

I am in North Palm Beach county. As yet I have not put up shutters, but will probably make a final decision on Saturday morning. I am waiting to see what happens to Wilma after it is finished with the Yucatan.

Although it will likely weaken as it approaches the Florida west coast (some intensification in the GOM possible before it hits shear), I think it is prudent to prepare for a possible Cat 3 on the WEST coast and a possible Cat 2 here. (I am not aware of any pro met who accurately predicted the rapid overnight intensification of Wilma to a Cat 5, and so will personally always err on the side of caution).

If this hurricane passes to the north of PB county we may feel potentially stronger winds than if it were to be to our south.

I personally expect a Cat 1 at my house, so I will prepare for one category higher than this (good rule of thumb because intensity forecasting is not an exact science IMO).

Remember what happened last year in the county when we had Francis and Jeanne (both reported as only Cat 1 winds in our area).
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”