Florida Grant to Fortify Existing Homes

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Florida Grant to Fortify Existing Homes

#1 Postby dizzyfish » Thu May 11, 2006 6:08 am

I heard about this on the news last night.

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGB6BT7I2NE.html

The State of Florida will give a mathcing grant (up to $5,000) for people to fortify their homes (valued under 1/2 mil) against hurricanes. Doors, windows, roof etc.

I can't wait to get details on this! I want better panels for my windows. Actually, I want new windows! :wink:
0 likes   

Texmedic
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#2 Postby Texmedic » Thu May 11, 2006 9:38 am

I wish the great state of Texas would do something similar. I guess we need a few good ones like you guys have gotten in the last few years.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#3 Postby vbhoutex » Thu May 11, 2006 12:07 pm

Texmedic wrote:I wish the great state of Texas would do something similar. I guess we need a few good ones like you guys have gotten in the last few years.

NO WE DON'T!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#4 Postby southerngale » Thu May 11, 2006 12:29 pm

vbhoutex wrote:
Texmedic wrote:I wish the great state of Texas would do something similar. I guess we need a few good ones like you guys have gotten in the last few years.

Ditto! Bite your tongue, Texmedic!

I think Rita was enough devastation for Texas for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time! I hope the rest of y'all in Texas don't have to deal with what we've been dealing with here. Stay far away, hurricanes!
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby SouthFloridawx » Thu May 11, 2006 1:46 pm

Wow keep us updated on this this is cool.

urricane Prep Will Cost State $400 Million
Skip directly to the full story.

By NEIL JOHNSON njohnson@tampatrib.com

Published: May 11, 2006

ADVERTISEMENT
More from this channel:

Search for more information:

TBO.com Site Search | Tribune archive from 1990

FORT LAUDERDALE - Florida lawmakers set aside more than $400 million for hurricane preparation, including a tax holiday and grants to fortify existing homes.

Gov. Jeb Bush on Wednesday told the 3,500 delegates at the Governor's Hurricane Conference in Fort Lauderdale that the money will help the state weather another hurricane season.

The largest portion of the money, $250 million, will fund a program to provide matching grants up to $5,000 for homeowners with houses valued at $500,000 or less to protect the structures, including reinforcing roofs, strengthening garage and exterior doors, and protecting windows.

Florida will spend $52 million to give permanent emergency backup power to every shelter for those with medical conditions that require special health care, Bush said.

In addition, $18 million will go to adding 130,000 public shelter spaces statewide.

Hurricanes the past two years showed some buildings housing emergency operations centers were vulnerable, and the state will pay $46 million to reinforce or build centers that can withstand higher winds.

Hurricane Charley in 2004 nearly wrecked Charlotte County's emergency operation center.

From May 21 to the season's start June 1, residents can avoid paying sales tax for hurricane supplies such as flash lights, generators and carbon monoxide detectors.
0 likes   

Texmedic
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#6 Postby Texmedic » Thu May 11, 2006 2:33 pm

southerngale wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:

Ditto! Bite your tongue, Texmedic!

I think Rita was enough devastation for Texas for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time! I hope the rest of y'all in Texas don't have to deal with what we've been dealing with here. Stay far away, hurricanes!

As I work for the great state of Texas, it seems to me that the only thing that they seem to understand is REACTION. "Pro-active" is not in their vocabulary. It will take some big storms and more devastation until the state realizes that this is going to be an ongoing issue, and that they need to help their citizenry prepare. If we can do it twice a year for shoes, clothes and backpacks, why can't we do it for something of a more grave nature? This is the issue, and until it is resolved, Texas will always be reactive and not pro-active. I do not wish anything on anyone mind you, but I regret to say that the mind-set will not change until it is forced to by catastrophe. And I will have a front-row seat to watch it roll in...
0 likes   

Texmedic
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#7 Postby Texmedic » Thu May 11, 2006 2:39 pm

And I forgot to add:

This is the view from the inside, so please take that with a grain of salt. I think that my above post may come off with a bit of an "edge" to it. Beating your head against a wall for five years is not fun.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby artist » Fri May 26, 2006 8:32 pm

anyone know where we can get more info on this? how to apply, etc.?
0 likes   

NativeFloridaGirl
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby NativeFloridaGirl » Sat May 27, 2006 7:59 am

I couldn't figure it out either. On Myflorida.com it only looked like government agencies could apply for it.

Beth
0 likes   

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby dizzyfish » Tue May 30, 2006 9:49 am

artist wrote:anyone know where we can get more info on this? how to apply, etc.?

They are still working on the process for application. That was the last I heard and that was I think on Friday or Saturday. Just keep checking and watching the news. If I hear anything I will post it here. I also heard that they were trying to get it set in 60 days or so.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby artist » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:04 pm

thanks dizzyfish!
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby artist » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:31 pm

just found this posted somewhere else-

From Friday's Palm Beach post section 6a

FL will spend 250 million on hurricane mitigation grants to help homeowners protect their homes against wind damages. Maximum is 5,000 per home. You have to first apply for a home inspection that will tell you what improvements can be made to make home safer (upgrade garage door, etc). State will pay for inspections!

Not all homeowners will qualify, they are going to do the ones who are most likely to be effected by hurricanes.

This will cover wind resistance type items. Reinforcing roof to wall connections, etc.

Mobile homes and manufactured homes are not eligible.

Priority will be given to those in coastal counties and property owners insured by Citizen's Property Insurance Corp.

You can't do the improvements and get reimbursed by the state, the Dept of Fin Services will create a list of state-approved home improvement providers on it's web site.

Second homes, rental properties, apartments and businesses are also not eligible.
Anyway they will match what you pay up to 5 thousand. Applications will be available in August, you cannot get them before that time - I already called. You can request an application by calling 800-342-2762.
0 likes   

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby dizzyfish » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:10 pm

Thanks artist!
Guess we'll have to wait until August. I bet they get slammed with applications. I know they will get one from us! 8-)

BTW - I have Citizens - cross yer fingers and toes!!!
0 likes   

Solari
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#14 Postby Solari » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:23 pm

Wow, great find. Keep us posted when there's more info. I'd like to reinforce my roof.

Thanks,
Ray
0 likes   

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby dizzyfish » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:13 pm

OK folks here we go.

http://www.mysafefloridahome.com/

You can apply on line or call 1-800-342-2762. I called because I didn't know (or forgot :roll: ) about the web site. It was hard to get thru on the phone - I decided to call after 5 and got thru. They are mailing me the application.

Some things you will need:
copy of the declaration page of your homeowners insurance also declaration page if you have separate policies for wind or hurricane coverage
proof of homestead exemption

Good luck! As I understand it - a lot of people have already applied.
Stay tuned - I'll let you know more as I find out. 8-)
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby DanKellFla » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:48 pm

Just an FYI. After many tries, I did get to apply via the web. So, it does work, albeit not well. You still need to print out and mail it as well.
0 likes   

HurriCat

#17 Postby HurriCat » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:39 am

Yep - You need to include a couple of items - one that shows homestead exemption and one that shows value of less than 500,000 dollars. I'm betting that they will mostly route the money to those deemed "at risk". Never mind that places like Orlando had blue tarps for well over a year after Charley. We'll see!
0 likes   

lellie

#18 Postby lellie » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:03 am

A $500,000 limit?
That leaves me out.
Hardly seems fair.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby DanKellFla » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:55 pm

Nice poem lellie.
0 likes   

Strings
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#20 Postby Strings » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:55 am

Lellie, IIRC the $500K applies to your STRUCTURE/building value, not the land value. Most of the "bubble" in FL real estate has been in land value, not building value. Your county property appraiser breaks out these 2 values. So unless your total MARKET value is north of the $2MILLION mark, you should be eligible... but wait until after *I* apply... lol.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”