New Idea

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

sunnyday
Category 5
Category 5

New Idea

#1 Postby sunnyday » Tue May 30, 2006 4:32 pm

I'm thinking about planning differently for the hurricane season of 2006. Instead of buying a bunch of food for the family as a whole, I plan to fix a box for each person according to his food preferences. Each would have the basics plus special treats geared to each person's liking. Of course, the pets will have their own boxes. If I make one box a week, I should be fnished before our first visit by Hurricane X, which hopefully won't happen!
0 likes   

Tropigal
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2 Postby Tropigal » Tue May 30, 2006 4:37 pm

That's an interesting idea you have.

Making it a waterproof box would be helpful as well.
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby O Town » Tue May 30, 2006 6:28 pm

Good idea sunnyday. With a family of 5 that I have it is hard to find things everyone likes, and in my case since I am so far inland I would not have to waterproof them. But like 04 season here we lost power between 4-8 days with the 3 that hit central FL. and that would have been helpful.
0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby skysummit » Tue May 30, 2006 6:33 pm

If you all like the taste of MREs, they're really not that bad and pretty cheap if you buy by the bulk. I still have some left over from last year, and I think I'll be getting more soon.
0 likes   

HurriCat

#5 Postby HurriCat » Wed May 31, 2006 1:59 am

You could have a larger "community bin" of basics in larger quantities to make the bulk of your meals. Try to keep the boxes stackable and able to be lashed together should you have to travel. I bet some of those Rubbermaid storage tubs would be great. You can find all sorts of tie-down and cargo type straps/devices at places like Lowe's and Home Depot. Even if you didn't stack several bins and strap them together, you can still secure each one's lid with a strap or even a length of strong cord. I do this with our wheeled trash can and still have the lid after four years. Usually, on trash day, one sees numerous loose lids in the street or getting blown across someone's lawn. Final thoughts: check the weight of the containers as they are filled to keep them manageable. Watch out for salty snacks that will make you even more thirsty.
0 likes   

bevgo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby bevgo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:36 am

That is a great idea! I may try this, especially good for the 2 1/2 y/o grandchild. :idea: :idea:
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”