Southeast Texas: New Hurricane Evacuation and Fuel Plan

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

WhiteShirt
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Southeast Texas: New Hurricane Evacuation and Fuel Plan

#1 Postby WhiteShirt » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:01 pm

NEW HURRICANE EVACUATION AND FUEL PLAN

Has anyone seen this yet?

In the event a major hurricane threatens the upper Texas coast this hurricane season the following state plan will be used to help alleviate traffic congestion along area evacuation corridors

2006 Evacuation Zones with roadway break points:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/tropical/maps.htm
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/tropical/wo ... ionMap.pdf

Traffic Control Plan for Evacuation Routes:
http://primary.hcoem.org/eunice/HGAC_MapC.pdf

Evacuation Zone Map including Chambers County:
http://primary.hcoem.org/hurricane_evac_routes_2006.pdf

Remember “Run from the Water and Hide from the Wind”

Only the following residents need to evacuate:

In a storm surge zone
Mobile home
Poor health
High rise building
Have been flooded before

The rest of the population should prepare to shelter in place from the wind.

Contraflow Plan:

All southeast Texas interstates have a developed contraflow plan (reversal of inbound traffic lanes to outbound)

I-45: Contraflow will begin at FM 1488 in southern Montgomery County between The Woodlands and Conroe (4 outbound traffic lanes) to just south of Dallas TX

I-10: Contraflow will begin at FM 359 in Waller County (4 outbound traffic lanes) to Loop 1604 near San Antonio

US 290: Phase 1: outbound shoulder will be used as a traffic lane starting at Fairfield (3 outbound lanes). Shoulder traffic will be forced to exit N on SH 6 at Hempstead. Contraflow of one inbound lane will occur at the Brazos River bridge due to ongoing construction. Inside outbound lane will be diverted across the median into the inside inbound lane.

Phase 2: Contraflow will begin at HWY 6 (all lanes reversed, 6 outbound traffic lanes…down to 4 at Fairfield).

HWY 6: No Contraflow, each traffic signal will be manned by law enforcement with incoming traffic yielding to evacuation traffic.

HWY 146: No contraflow, each traffic signal will be manned by law enforcement with incoming traffic yielding to evacuation traffic. ALL HWY 146 TRAFFIC WILL HAVE TO EXIT ONTO I-10 W AND PROCEED WEST ON I-10. NO TRAFFIC WILL BE ALLOWED N OF HWY 146 INTO LIBERTY CO.

US 59: Contraflow possible based on hurricane track (freeway is reserved for Golden Triangle evacuation traffic). Houston area traffic will be diverted onto Beltway 8 to I-45 north and the Hardy Toll Rd.

Hardy Toll Rd, Beltway 8: Tolls will be suspended once an evacuation is called for by local officials. These roadways are considered secondary routes.

SH 288: No contraflow plan.

I-45 Gulf Freeway: No contraflow plan.

Fuel Availability Plan:

At 96 to 120 hours before a possible landfall private gas suppliers will begin to surge fuel to service stations within the evacuation zones. All stations will be fueled to at least 60% capacity. Media outlets will begin to encourage residents to fuel their vehicles.

At 48 to 60 hours before landfall service stations along the evacuation routes will be fueled to 100% capacity with additional fuel awaiting. Additionally, TXDOT will preposition tanker trucks with the capability to fuel vehicles directly on the road.

Comfort stations with food, water, and restrooms will be established along the evacuation routes at state rest areas.

NOTES:

Even with contraflow travel times will still be long as all Harris County freeways narrow down from several traffic lanes to 2-4 outside of the county. Travel times will still be on the order of 10-15 hours if residents do not follow the phase evacuation plans.

It is imperative that the residents alone the coast be allowed to evacuate first…inland residents are not in danger of storm surge flooding and should consider “sheltering in place” from the wind instead of leaving the area and adding congestion to the evacuation routes.
http://www.wildonweather.com/vbb350/sho ... #post10718
Last edited by WhiteShirt on Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#2 Postby GalvestonDuck » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:25 pm

Your first link doesn't work. :(
0 likes   

WhiteShirt
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby WhiteShirt » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:36 pm

The following graphic is a detailed plan for I-45 contraflow in the event of a mandatory evacuation order for the SE TX coast.

Contraflow is a last resort option due to safety and manpower concerns.

Detailed plan for I-45 including exit and entrance ramp closures and manned locations….takes time to load:

ftp://ftp.txdps.state.tx.us/dem/plan_st ... n_ih45.pdf
0 likes   

WhiteShirt
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby WhiteShirt » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:37 pm

The following is the state contraflow plan for US 290.

It will be activiated in the event of a mass evacuation from an impending major hurricane threat.

Detailed plan for US 290 contraflow including exit and entrance closures and manned locations:

ftp://ftp.txdps.state.tx.us/dem/plan_st ... _us290.pdf
0 likes   

WhiteShirt
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby WhiteShirt » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:40 pm

GalvestonDuck wrote:Your first link doesn't work. :(

It's working now. Sorry about that.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”