Angry at HOA !!

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

MomH
Category 1
Category 1

#41 Postby MomH » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:16 pm

South Florida WX--
Have no idea how much these cost but you might look into it. It is a new product and can be installed on the inside of the window. Won't prevent broken glass but will protect your place. And--if you put them up, I see no reason they couldn't be taken down and go with you, if you should sell your condo.

http://www.chdefense.com/

Go to "products" and then to "barrier"
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#42 Postby SouthFloridawx » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:42 am

MomH wrote:South Florida WX--
Have no idea how much these cost but you might look into it. It is a new product and can be installed on the inside of the window. Won't prevent broken glass but will protect your place. And--if you put them up, I see no reason they couldn't be taken down and go with you, if you should sell your condo.

http://www.chdefense.com/

Go to "products" and then to "barrier"

I am going to check it out when I get home.. thanks for the tip. I am up for anything that would help.
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#43 Postby bvigal » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:06 am

This has been a most interesting discussion, with lots of valuable information!

Where I live now has built-in shutters (though I've my doubts about the roof strength!) Previously I lived in a rental with nothing, and the owner wouldn't spend a dime for any kind of protective covering. On the mainland I owned a townhome with HOA, of which I served on board for a while. I also sold insurance once upon a time.

1. Nobody can give you back your life or your health, so how important are rules or someone else's opinion, in the whole scheme of things?
2. While it's better to have insurance than not, you can never buy enough to recoup your whole loss, even if you have replacement cost and the time to spend shopping all over
3. When a storm is threatening, there's no way one can take with them everything that's important. Sometime's it's a scramble just to escape in time.

If it were me (and 2 years ago with Jeanne coming, it was), I'd put up whatever I could afford that would keep the hurricane out of the dwelling, drill any holes needed, and face the consequences later! The storm may miss you, and if it does, that's great. But the peace of mind is worth its weight in gold!
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby artist » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:50 am

south - even though you know your landlord well - be certain to get it IN WRITING & signed by him that he is the one that advised you to go with the plywood and that HE will be responsible if there is any damage to the building. Having learned the hard way - word of mouth is not good enough.
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#45 Postby SouthFloridawx » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:51 pm

Artist and bvigal,

I appriciate your inputs here. I think I will be asking him to sign something in writing stating he told me to and is responsible for damages.
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#46 Postby Alladin » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:01 pm

The law in Florida addresses hurricane shutters on condos (Florida Statutes 718 Condominiums). The bottom line is that the shutters must be approved by the HOA (not the landlord for a renter) and the shutters must meet all building code requirements (plywood does not).

So, if you put up plywood shutters, you would be subject to both civil and criminal penalties.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”