What to do with propane canisters?

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

VeniceInlet
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

What to do with propane canisters?

#1 Postby VeniceInlet » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:34 am

I am in a low elevation that could flood in a major storm. I've been wondering what I should do with the three grill-sized propane canisters I keep around for cooking. I know to disconnnect them and tightly turn them off, but I also know I'm not supposed to store them in a garage or shed.

So here's my question: Where do I put them if I were to evacuate? I can just see them floating away like little bombs, waiting to be punctured by other debris.
0 likes   

bosag
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2 Postby bosag » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:33 pm

Well, we buried ours about 3 ft under, altho during jeanne, I didnt do a very good job and one of them popped out of the ground and floated around the back yard (fenced in) :cheesy:
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby Alladin » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:51 pm

Just tie a rope to the tanks and secure the other end to a tree. 20 lb. LPG tanks are very safe, they have a pressure relief valve to prevent any explosion.

I think it highly unlikely that hurricane debris would puncture a propane tank under any circumstance.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”