Standby Generators??

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

canetracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Standby Generators??

#1 Postby canetracker » Fri May 25, 2007 9:06 pm

I have a Briggs and Stratton portable 6500 generator, but am looking to upgrade to a permanent standby generator. I need advice on which brand name and model to purchase. I want to run a central a/c unit for an 1200 sq ft house, a microwave, washer/dryer, refrig/freezer, a TV, a PC and a few lights. Any suggestions?? A standby permanent generator is a BIG investment and did not want to purchase it without advice.
Thanks!!!
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby DanKellFla » Sat May 26, 2007 4:39 am

I really don't have advice, just some questions that might help somebody with real knowledge help you.
How much do you want to spend?
Do you have natural gas or propane at your house already?
What kind of space do you have to place the generator?
What is the tonnage on your A/C unit?
How long do you think you will need to run your generator after a storm?
Can you possibly run the PC off an inverter?
Try this website: http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com

Just a respectful fyi.... I can't afford a permanent generator, so I have a 5600 watt/8000 surge B&S (Craftsman really) generator. I also bought a cheap 5000 BTU window unit. That way, I can have a small air conditioned space in my house (my bedroom) and some electricity.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#3 Postby Dionne » Sat May 26, 2007 7:04 am

If the money isn't an issue, look into Generac. http://www.generac.com
Their site will answer alot of your questions. I use a Troy-Bilt 5250.....which will run a fridge, a small window A/C unit, a radio/tv and several lights.....and nothing more. I'm told 7 gallons of gas will last 12 hours. Which I question. It runs unusually quiet. Comes with a heavy extension cord. And has several automatic shut down safety measures. It was very affordable at $499 on sale.....Lowes.
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby LSU2001 » Mon May 28, 2007 11:40 am

I agree with Dionne about the generac guardian home standby generator. I am currently on a waiting list to get one installed with an automatic transfer switch. The cost is going to be about $3,700 for a 16kw model. I will run it on natural gas so my actual wattage is supposed to be 15kw. Anyway it will run a 4 ton central air unit as well as lights, fans, etc. I have a close friend that bought one last year and so far with sporadic outages due to thunderstorms he loves it. It automatically switches to genny when the power goes out for 30 seconds and provides continuous power until the power comes back on. It also will start and run for several minutes once a month automatically. I have owned a generac 15kw portable for about 4 years and have had very little trouble with it. I run it for days at a time at my camp and other than the high fuel consumption it is a great gen set. I also have a coleman power mate 5000watt genny but it so far has been unreliable. It seems to have a brush breaking problem that Home Depot can not figure out. it has been in for service several times and continues to fail. I plan on replacing this small genny soon.

hope this helps
Tim
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

canetracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby canetracker » Thu May 31, 2007 9:35 pm

Gaurdian 5244

I have been looking at the Gaurdian 5244 Quiet Touch. The selling points on this generator is that it is quiet, will run my cental a/c and many other major appliances. Can anyone offer reviews on the Gaurdian products or similar models?
Thanks in advance! : )
0 likes   

jbgreig
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#6 Postby jbgreig » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:57 pm

I bought and installed a Generac 5244 a little more than a year ago. The test is quiet, but when running (and providing power) it still operates at 3600 RPM, like most of their other models.

Some of the more expensive generators run at 1800RPM, resulting in increased engine life and quieter operation.

It does the trick for what I need, though.
0 likes   

canetracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby canetracker » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:32 pm

Thanks all for your help. After some great advice from you guys, I have decided to go with the Generac 16 kW unit. Am saving currently and looking to purchase this within the next month or 2. I will report back on its performance.
Thanks Again!

Roz Image
0 likes   

jbgreig
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#8 Postby jbgreig » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:15 am

I suggest you check out http://www.norwall.com

They are a distributor in Arizona. I bought mine there, and they were competitive and their service after the sale was great. OTOH, if you have a local dealer, I am learning that it is worth the extra cost to have local service. Either way.

One thing to check is your gas meter capacity. That unit consumes 245,000 BTU. That's a lot of gas. My meter was only 200,000 BTU. I checked with the gas company, and to just replace the regulator and meter (line from street was sufficient capacity) was $1100 or so. I decided to keep what I have, and have learned that meters can deliver much higher than their rated capacity. Not sure by how much though.

Just some things I ran into that I wish I had thought about before I purchased. That being said, I'm happy with the set.

Good luck!

Brad
0 likes   

mobal
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#9 Postby mobal » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:17 am

I had a 60kw Generac installed at warehouse/office. Way larger then what you need. Point is I was able to determine through Alabama Power what my peak usage was and select generator accordingly. I would call your provider and ask if the could give your peak usage.
0 likes   

canetracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby canetracker » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:15 am

mobal and jbgreig: Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about picking a model which I thought would cover the usage I need but calling my provider is a great idea. Also, I have not thought about my gas meter's btu. I have checked out norwall.com and found an attractive price but can't find a model which will run at 1800rpm's. I did find a nice unit on another site at 25kw and 1800 rpm's, but the tag is $9000. After all considerations, I think I will consult a local dealer and get some professional help.
0 likes   

rlltex
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#11 Postby rlltex » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:06 pm

I have a 25kw Generac (not the quiet model, my Mom has one of those). It has been wonderful although we have had problems finding someone to do the yearly checks (electrical co. we bought from assured us they had someone but then they said they didn't). After Rita I was without power for 31 days--you can imagine how glad I was to have it. My only problem has been rumors that our entire city's natural gas would be cut off with the next hurricane. That doesn't seem very safe to me but I can't get a straight answer from anyone including the gas company. My neighbor says I should have gotten propane instead of natural gas but I don't think I could have stored enough (or purchased after the storm) for one month.
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby LSU2001 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:20 pm

Below is the product description of the generator I am having installed. It will arrive and be installed on June 22, 2007. My gas company (I had to have a meter installed) set up the meter specifically for running a genny and the total cost of meter installation was $222.00. My genny cost $3,589.00 which includes shipping. I have to get an electrician friend to wire it in but Home Depot said they had someone to install it if I needed it. I don't know what installation would cost but I can't imagine that its over a couple of hundred dollars. So total investment will be about $4,300.00 including taxes, meter, slab for installation, and piping for the gas. I feel that it is worth every penny simply for peace of mind.

Tim
Source: http://tinyurl.com/2lbq4z

24/7 blackout protection whether you’re home or away. Fully automatic home standby generator comes pre-packaged and pre-wired with an automatic transfer switch. Unit operates on either LP gas (16,000 watts) or natural gas (15,000 watts.) 992cc / OHVI Industrial engine with full pressure lubrication. Includes composite mounting pad for quick installation. DUE TO INCREASED DEMAND DURING HURRICANE SEASON, THIS PRODUCT MAY TAKE UP TO 14 DAYS TO SHIP AND UP TO 28 DAYS TO REACH YOUR HOME. THIS ITEM CANNOT BE RETURNED. SEE REBATE CENTER FOR DETAILS.

* 16,000 watts (LP) / 15,000 watts (NG)
* Power to start a 5 ton A/C unit, includes automatic transfer switch with 16 circuits protected
* Whisper-Test: Patent-pending self test feature makes the QuietSource 50% Quieter
* Includes: 30 ft., 5 ft. & 2 ft. pre-wired conduits, outdoor connection box, flexible fuel line and composite mounting pad
* Superior Paint - Tough paint finish for unmatched durability
* Safe design UL listed / automatic voltage regulator and electronic governor for sensitive electronics
* Continuous Fuel: Models run on natural gas or liquid propane gas
* MFG Brand Name : Guardian
* MFG Model # : 5243
* MFG Part # : 5243
0 likes   

canetracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby canetracker » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:13 pm

rlltex wrote:I have a 25kw Generac (not the quiet model, my Mom has one of those). It has been wonderful although we have had problems finding someone to do the yearly checks (electrical co. we bought from assured us they had someone but then they said they didn't). After Rita I was without power for 31 days--you can imagine how glad I was to have it. My only problem has been rumors that our entire city's natural gas would be cut off with the next hurricane. That doesn't seem very safe to me but I can't get a straight answer from anyone including the gas company. My neighbor says I should have gotten propane instead of natural gas but I don't think I could have stored enough (or purchased after the storm) for one month.

After researching, I think it is worth every peeny to get the 25kw Generac. During Katrina, we did not lose natural gas, but that is a gamble I guess I will have to take. I hope they would not shut the gas off, but I do have a portable for back up.

LSU2001:
Below is the product description of the generator I am having installed. It will arrive and be installed on June 22, 2007. My gas company (I had to have a meter installed) set up the meter specifically for running a genny and the total cost of meter installation was $222.00. My genny cost $3,589.00 which includes shipping. I have to get an electrician friend to wire it in but Home Depot said they had someone to install it if I needed it. I don't know what installation would cost but I can't imagine that its over a couple of hundred dollars. So total investment will be about $4,300.00 including taxes, meter, slab for installation, and piping for the gas. I feel that it is worth every penny simply for peace of mind.

I did research this model initially and it has great reviews. The only drawback I have with it is that it does run on 3600 rpm's which will do a great job, but it causes the engine to work harder. I do agree it it is worth the peace of mind and would like to know how it works for you.
0 likes   

jes
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Standby Generators??

#14 Postby jes » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:19 pm

I decided on the Briggs and Stratton last year. Considered Generac, but heard that they had rust problems a couple of years ago and the company wouldn't honor the warranty. Our local gas company in Mobile and a very respected electric company decided to sell the Briggs and Stratton. Deciding on a model is difficult, but also deciding on the KW's needed can be difficult. I was told the 15KW would be fine to handle my needs which included my 5 ton central AC unit. Later I learned that was not true. It's amazing what sales people will tell you. They are expensive so I decided on a 12kW which will handle all the 110's in my house -- much cheaper than the 15KW. I probably could have even gotten the 7KW, but didn't want to worry when I turned on too many appliances. I then purchased a roll around air conditioner to use during the aftermath. I worried that I would never get any use out of the air conditioner so I purchased one online that has a separate dehumidifer -- now I use it all the time -- my central unit can't handle the humidity here. It's really a big decision, because they certainly are expensive. I've rationalized the purchase by thinking that it's increased the market value of my home in case I ever sell.
0 likes   

Lawman
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re: Standby Generators??

#15 Postby Lawman » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:19 am

In early april I decided on a 20Kw Briggs and Stratton empower with the 200 amp auto transfer switch (ACCM) after being promised by several dealers that the 15kw or 16kw units would start my 5 ton air conditioner. Needless to say this was not the case. My 20kw NG unit will start my 5 ton air, two (2) 220 volt appliances and the rest of my home (approx 3100 sf). I am happy with my decision to date though I haven't had to put it to use yet. Test mode runs as advertised on a weekly basis. No complaints from the neighbors about the noise. Note, I had to upgrade my gas meter to a larger size to accomodate the generator. Something you need to look at when installing a generator this size.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”