Is there a safe way to store gas in a car while evacuating?

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

nutkin178
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Is there a safe way to store gas in a car while evacuating?

#1 Postby nutkin178 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:54 pm

I know the fumes are bad, but I am terrified of running out of gas and being stuck on the side of the road like during Rita. If I have the forethought to buy some extra gas, is there any way to bring it with me? It has to be safe because I will also be carrying two kids. Thanks.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby DanKellFla » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:23 pm

Bungee cord it too the roof?
0 likes   

nutkin178
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re: Is there a safe way to store gas in a car while evacuating?

#3 Postby nutkin178 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:08 pm

I would do that, but would be scared someone would rob me. People were that desperate. There were fights between people in cars stopped in traffic. Someone set someone else's car on fire.
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby Alladin » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:14 pm

Any of the commonly available gas cans (such as Blitz) would meet your needs. Texas law requires that you use “spill proof” gas cans. A properly sealed gas can will not leak or vent gas fumes. The HDPE plastic cans are very resilient and are designed to allow for fuel expansion. If you smell gas fumes, then the can is not sealed correctly.

I use a bungee cord inside of my trunk to transport plastic fuel containers (2 ½ and 5 gallon) to keep the cans upright. I have never spilled a drop nor had any fuel vapor vented from the cans even when the cans have been left in the trunk on a hot Florida day.

Be advised that the spout on most gas cans is not designed for on road use to fill up your car. The spout is not long and narrow enough to open the trap door on your fuel tank. A fuel refill funnel is required to gas up your car from a can. These funnels are available at any auto parts store (Wal-Mart).
Last edited by Alladin on Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Stormtrack
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby Stormtrack » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:03 pm

The state has promised that gas will be available along evacuation routes this time unlike the Rita evacuation and they will implement contra flow earlier. I don't plan on taking extra gas; it's too dangerous. I also plan on taking back roads to avoid extensive idling that wastes gas.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”