2021 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
wxman22
Category 3
Category 3

Re: 2021 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

#321 Postby wxman22 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:29 pm

SEASON_CANCELED wrote:
AxaltaRacing24 wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:We are all familiar with tropical storms forming off of waves off the coast of Africa, but the GFS wants tropical storms to form IN AFRICA. Look at the area of vorticity in Mauritania
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2021070618/gfs_z850_vort_nafr_19.png
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2021070618/gfs_mslpa_nafr_19.png

Nothing would shock me anymore at this point...

Thats just GFS being GFS

Literally impossible for a tropical system to form over land

toss it

While i don't believe the GFS, that's not true sometimes tropical cyclones can form over land or be designated over land, like Claudette last month.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#322 Postby tolakram » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:47 pm

It's a closed low over that area. Nothing unusual, we see this most years. :)
3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#323 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:25 pm

SEASON_CANCELED wrote:
AxaltaRacing24 wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:We are all familiar with tropical storms forming off of waves off the coast of Africa, but the GFS wants tropical storms to form IN AFRICA. Look at the area of vorticity in Mauritania
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2021070618/gfs_z850_vort_nafr_19.png
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2021070618/gfs_mslpa_nafr_19.png

Thats just GFS being GFS

toss it

While rare and something that definitely should not happen in July, something like this (or at least close to it) did happen with Florence in 2018.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#324 Postby Blinhart » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:05 am

SEASON_CANCELED wrote:
AxaltaRacing24 wrote:

Thats just GFS being GFS

toss it

Funny, it has happened before, and will happen again.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#325 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:28 am

Some hints in the long range of a sharp wave axis in the Bahamas on both the ECMWF and GFS. Beyond that, I don't see any hint of tropical cyclone development. That suppressed CCKW really is going to keep a lid on things for now.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#326 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:50 am

But yeah other than that it seems like mid-July may not be very active in the Atlantic (EPAC is expected to be active though). Although do be on the lookout near the end of the month as the strong upward rising motion is expected to come into place starting then; that *could* signal an early start to Cape Verde season. Also keep in mind that we could easily get one or so "popup" storms during the suppressed phase that models do not forsee well, especially storms like 2020's Bertha, Dolly, Edouard, or Kyle or 2021's Bill or Danny.
8 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#327 Postby aspen » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:05 pm

The GFS has constantly been trying — and failing — to develop something in the SW Caribbean during the first half of next week. Might be an area to watch in a few days. The GFS does attempt to spin up something in that area, but ends up developing a TC in the EPac; the Euro and CMC, by comparison, have all of that tropical energy/moisture going right into the EPac.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#328 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:27 pm

aspen wrote:The GFS has constantly been trying — and failing — to develop something in the SW Caribbean during the first half of next week. Might be an area to watch in a few days. The GFS does attempt to spin up something in that area, but ends up developing a TC in the EPac; the Euro and CMC, by comparison, have all of that tropical energy/moisture going right into the EPac.

The GFS does have a bias toward spinning up a higher than actual number of EPAC systems, and this is especially a pattern I have noticed when CAGs form. So sometimes if you see it spin up like 3 storms there, it's more than likely just 1 that ends up really forming (and given that this year is expected to fall into - ENSO territory, this simply reinforces what I think at least).
1 likes   

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#329 Postby CFLHurricane » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:53 pm

It looks like this model is picking up some of the central Atlantic swirling also evident on the MMIC-TPW. This July may be full of surprises all month long! :double:
0 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

SEASON_CANCELED
Category 3
Category 3

#330 Postby SEASON_CANCELED » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:37 am

Blinhart wrote:
SEASON_CANCELED wrote:
AxaltaRacing24 wrote:Nothing would shock me anymore at this point...

Thats just GFS being GFS

toss it

When has a tropical system formed hundreds of miles inland with no water underneath?

Please...redpill me.
2 likes   
i am a big stupid ugly moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt stinks and i like to kiss my own butt

Europa non è lontana
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#331 Postby Europa non è lontana » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:59 pm

SEASON_CANCELED wrote:When has a tropical system formed hundreds of miles inland with no water underneath?

Please...redpill me.

Indian land depressions form hundreds of kilometres inland quite commonly.
0 likes   

CourierPR
Category 5
Category 5

#332 Postby CourierPR » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:35 pm

SEASON_CANCELED wrote:
Blinhart wrote:
SEASON_CANCELED wrote:
Thats just GFS being GFS

toss it

When has a tropical system formed hundreds of miles inland with no water underneath?

Please...redpill me.

There was evidence that Donna, in 1960 was already a storm before exiting Africa.
2 likes   

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#333 Postby GeneratorPower » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:02 am

SEASON_CANCELED wrote:
Blinhart wrote:
SEASON_CANCELED wrote:
Thats just GFS being GFS

toss it

Please...redpill me.

There is ongoing meteorological study and debate over whether some waves are already TDs or TSs when they emerge from Africa. This has been the case since I started studying these things in 2004.
2 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#334 Postby aspen » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:04 am

The Euro shows a tropical wave emerging off the coast of Africa on July 21st and reaching 40W by the 23rd. This is all the way out at the end of the run, but it might be worth watching to see if it does make it into the Western Atlantic because the enhanced Kelvin Wave arrives between July 26th and August 1st. Depending on where the AEW is, the CCKW could help trigger development, similar to Elsa.
4 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#335 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:50 am

SEASON_CANCELED wrote:
AxaltaRacing24 wrote:

Thats just GFS being GFS

toss it

Australian mode activated. Mate please look at all the tropical cyclones in Australia and see how many form over land. This is certainly possible. The Gfs may be crazy but it has happened as these wonderful folks here have noted. Also tropical storm Julia says hello from 2016
4 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#336 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:34 am

InfernoFlameCat wrote:
SEASON_CANCELED wrote:
AxaltaRacing24 wrote:Nothing would shock me anymore at this point...

Thats just GFS being GFS

toss it

Australian mode activated. Mate please look at all the tropical cyclones in Australia and see how many form over land. This is certainly possible. The Gfs may be crazy but it has happened as these wonderful folks here have noted. Also tropical storm Julia says hello from 2016

While it was not necessarily a storm that formed over land, Kelvin is a great example of how at least when it comes down to Australia, storms can maintain tropical characteristics for a long time over the continent. Kelvin even had an eye as it went over the desert!
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#337 Postby SFLcane » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:52 am

Who says we can’t look into August? :D :wink:

Control run from ecmwf weeklies. A ton of variance between members

3 likes   

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#338 Postby Stormybajan » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:02 pm

SFLcane wrote:Who says we can’t look into August? :D :wink:

https://i.postimg.cc/d01VtpX3/7-FBBF7-C7-C29-A-4-C91-9207-D19-BB55-F1-FDE.jpg

If this verifies and August 27th theres a MDR disturbance present then we might have to comeback to this as the Greatest long rang forecast of alltime :lol: :lol:
5 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#339 Postby Blown Away » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:38 pm

SFLcane wrote:Who says we can’t look into August? :D :wink:

https://i.postimg.cc/d01VtpX3/7-FBBF7-C7-C29-A-4-C91-9207-D19-BB55-F1-FDE.jpg

If EURO nails this Aug 27th forecast, it gets the "Mojo" back it lost during Elsa... :D
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#340 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:55 pm

The title of this thread is "Out thru day 16." That is "Out thru day 45." :ggreen: :ggreen:

Well, I'll definitely check back on August 27 to see what the tropics have. An easy to remember date since that is also my birthday.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”