Broad area of disturbed weather in the Western Caribbean Sea (Is INVEST 91L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Broad area of disturbed weather in the southwestern Caribbean Sea

#101 Postby toad strangler » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:27 am

More bird shot like vort splits on the 12z GFS through 168 hours. All over the place. Heavy sheer just to the N in then Caribbean, SE GOM, and FL straits. I can't see anything getting organized in this environment on the 12z GFS.
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#102 Postby GCANE » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:49 am

The weakening shear axis is helping to support an organized upper divergence over the convection

0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#103 Postby ronjon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:51 am

0 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#104 Postby stormlover2013 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:52 am

It’s the cmc, horrible model hasn’t been good long range one bit
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#105 Postby chaser1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:53 am

northjaxpro wrote:
psyclone wrote:I'm watching this with interest as I always do down there this time of year but so far it's tough to bet against persistence which has been reliably hostile this season in the Caribbean. Toss in a scoop of nothin' (thus far) from the NHC and you have a model storm yawn fest at this point. But..tis the season and things change and the secondary peak (which reflects development in this region) is close at hand. It certainly warrants a periodic check in.

I am with you for the time being. Definitely we should always monitor the Northwestern Caribbean in early October for sure. However, as psyclone astutely indicated above, for the time being, conditions have been so hostile down there all season with shear and dry air. This has been persistent all season long in the Caribbean.

I am just waiting and seeing if the models indeed are picking up on potential improving upper and mid level conditions which could induce tropical cyclone development in the next week or so. Hopefully, we will have a better indication as time progresses later this week.

northjaxpro wrote:
psyclone wrote:I'm watching this with interest as I always do down there this time of year but so far it's tough to bet against persistence which has been reliably hostile this season in the Caribbean. Toss in a scoop of nothin' (thus far) from the NHC and you have a model storm yawn fest at this point. But..tis the season and things change and the secondary peak (which reflects development in this region) is close at hand. It certainly warrants a periodic check in.

I am with you for the time being. Definitely we should always monitor the Northwestern Caribbean in early October for sure. However, as psyclone astutely indicated above, for the time being, conditions have been so hostile down there all season with shear and dry air. This has been persistent all season long in the Caribbean.

I am just waiting and seeing if the models indeed are picking up on potential improving upper and mid level conditions which coould induce tropical cyclone development in the next week or so. Hopefully, we will have a better indication as time progresses later this week.

Beat me to the punch lol; Was just about to chime in that for the most part, I think psyclone pretty well lays out my perspective on near to mid term development for the W. Caribbean. I do believe that the westward retrogresson of the cut-off low to the north of the potential suspect area, should help toward bending the harsh upper level flow some. I'm just not seeing any 200mb forecast maps thus far that really depict some evolution of a building upper anticyclone over the W. Caribbean.

I suspect that the less hostile upper level conditions in the far Southwest Caribbean in conjunction with the westward moving cut-off low helping to eventually induce a more northward outflow channel will provide adequate diffluence aloft for low pressure to develop. I'm sure NHC will begin referencing it in their TWO's by later tomorrow or early Wed. In general, a very large disturbance can certainly play a significant role toward building a hefty anticyclone over itself but that takes time. The extent that it may alter or overcome otherwise hostile westerly shear to it's north would be no small feat and probably need coincide with some shift of the longwave pattern over the Central U.S.

I may be slightly more bullish that a T.D. will develop out of this "Caribbean/Kirk Remnant Soup" then you two, but my thoughts pretty much align with yours regarding the unlikelihood of it becoming a potential hurricane threat to the U.S. Gulf coast or Florida. Could that change? Perhaps, but there'll need to be a good deal of time on "the game clock" for the broader upper level flow regime to really evolve for that to happen. "Maybe" in the 8-10 day period? Not sure if Kirk's remnants will have already moved on to it's Final Frontier" by that time though.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#106 Postby ronjon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:58 am

0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#107 Postby toad strangler » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:00 pm

That looks like a depression or worse at the end of the run.
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#108 Postby chaser1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:01 pm

ronjon wrote:12z CMC with a classic early October hurricane into the FL panhandle.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gem&region=seus&pkg=mslp_pcpn&runtime=2018100112&fh=138

The funny part is that the CMC somehow cranks up a hurricane in under 156 hr's. in spite of the strong upper level winds tearing through the N.W. Carib. Not impossible with time.... but that fast? I can't see it.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#109 Postby ronjon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:02 pm

0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#110 Postby ronjon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:03 pm

toad strangler wrote:

993 mb depression?
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#111 Postby toad strangler » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:05 pm

ronjon wrote:
toad strangler wrote:

993 mb depression?

I'm looking at the vort signature. Yuck.
0 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#112 Postby stormlover2013 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:06 pm

Icon has been horrendous this year I’ve been watching this model all year it’s bad
0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#113 Postby ronjon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:06 pm

Folks while I've posted shall I say the "less reliable" models, the fact that their is some model support cannot be discounted. Something to watch - let's see if the 12z Euro does anything with it this afternoon.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#114 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:06 pm

ronjon wrote:
toad strangler wrote:

993 mb depression?

its because of land interaction it begins to weaken.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#115 Postby toad strangler » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:12 pm

Even the 00z Euro was splitting vorts like a hit clay pigeon. I was laughing at the GFS doing so 48 hours ago. Not so much now :lol:
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#116 Postby SoupBone » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:25 pm

GCANE wrote:The weakening shear axis is helping to support an organized upper divergence over the convection

I see what you're saying, but that area of shear has consistently ebb and flowed throughout the season. It's never gone away, and has only moved around the Western Caribbean. Unless something crazy changes, I just don't see it going anywhere, though we know how crazy this season's been.
1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#117 Postby chaser1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:26 pm

toad strangler wrote:Even the 00z Euro was splitting vorts like a hit clay pigeon. I was laughing at the GFS doing so 48 hours ago. Not so much now :lol:

Given the present environment, the GFS doesn't seem unreasonable at all. It looks to lift the disturbance into the N.W. Caribbean fairly quickly but in it's quicker time frame, we'd be looking at sheared T.D. at most. The ICON solution is plausible too, even though I think 1000 mb would be a bit more realistic then the stronger system it depicts.
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#118 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:27 pm

toad strangler wrote:Even the 00z Euro was splitting vorts like a hit clay pigeon. I was laughing at the GFS doing so 48 hours ago. Not so much now :lol:

Yeah, even the EURO will have feedback issues with large broad systems like this when there is a lot of land interaction. The scattering of Caribbean islands, Central America, and in this case the semi-permanent vorticity of Columbia all with various terrain can cause this problem in any model. You will get all sorts of weird stuff until there is a definable low-pressure area.

So take all the models with a grain of salt for the next days or so.

though I have a hunch. The CMC, ICON, and others that are showing a solid system may not be, I'll use the word "Hi-res" enough and thus treat the varying land in different ways.

I cant be 100 percent on that since I have not read too much into the CMC and ICON and those like it. but the GFS and Euro both have done this same thing in the same area multiple times.

So we have to wait..
3 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#119 Postby chaser1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:45 pm

I'n the grand scheme of things, the faster this disturbance attempts to lift north, the less likely it'll amount to anything significant. The odd's of it developing into a T.S. improve the longer it remains in the SW Caribbean. Same point applies to risk of significant impact to the U.S. 3-5 days - no way, 6-8 day's - possible but unlikely, 8-10 day's - plausible. At the moment, I think the ICON paint's the most reasonable "potential threat" being E. Cuba, Jamaica, or W. Haiti. That's not to suggest that a sheared T.D. couldn't wind up approaching W. Cuba or Florida during the next 5 -8 days, but given the upper level shear in place.... I would'nt call 3-6" rain and 30 knot winds much of a threat.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#120 Postby gatorcane » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:56 pm

Whoa 12Z FV3 GFS hits SE Florida from the east :crazyeyes:

“Ridge over troubled waters:”

2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”