Tropical Wave over the SE Bahamas (Is INVEST 91L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Tropical Wave in the Turks & Caicos/SE Bahamas

#1021 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:46 pm

HurricaneBelle wrote:
tgenius wrote:Is there any possibility we have a Katrina repeat from 2005 where she was a wave in the Bahamas and we ended up getting hit by a cat1 storm? Not of course thinking of a hurricane but even a named ts

Why stop at Katrina? This is forming in the same area as the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane!

And it's labor day weekend!
5 likes   

tgenius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1022 Postby tgenius » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:48 pm

Like I said. I’m farthest from wishcasting here. Just similar location wise to Katrina was when she formed. I remember waking up from a nap that day and finding out she had taken that SW dip.
4 likes   

Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1023 Postby Evil Jeremy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:50 pm

tgenius wrote:Like I said. I’m farthest from wishcasting here. Just similar location wise to Katrina was when she formed. I remember waking up from a nap that day and finding out she had taken that SW dip.

I am also far from wishcasting, but remain concerned that the NHC is underestimating this wave in the near-term.
2 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#1024 Postby jasons2k » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:55 pm

wxmann_91 wrote:
tgenius wrote:Is there any possibility we have a Katrina repeat

No.

Never say "Yes" or "No." While as of right now, chances for any type of Major Hurricane, or even a hurricane at all, appear to be very low, intensity is one of the most challenging things to forecast for a tropical cyclone.

I remember Katrina well. She had been TD#10 that fell apart and was completely written off, only to quickly intensify when reaching the Bahamas. If you recall, there was considerable debate on this very forum if Katrina would even become a hurricane. One member basically predicted the Apocalypse, and he got permanently banned for it. In hindsight, the prediction wasn't that crazy after all, even if for him, it was pure luck. I digress...

Nobody (respectable) predicted Katrina to move WSW and then hold together as well as she did as she traversed Florida. The GFDL model, a new model at the time, did predict it, but nobody believed it. We all watched in awe and disbelief as Katrina held together across the peninsula and then exploded in the Gulf.

Just remember, mere days before landfall, nobody could have predicted a humongous Cat. 5 aimed right at New Orleans. And a just month later, nobody could fathom that Rita would break the all-time low pressure reading in the Gulf of Mexico that had just been set by Katrina.

Just last year, up until the day Harvey made landfall, nobody could grasp a deepening Cat. 4 making landfall on the Texas coast. Humberto was another surprise. The list goes on and on...

I just caution folks to never use absolutes when predicting the behavior of tropical cyclones. They never cease to amaze us, even with all our wonderful technology and constant data feeds, mother nature is an enigma still full of secrets.
26 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#1025 Postby blp » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:58 pm

alienstorm wrote:Earth Wind has a closed circulation over Great Inagua

It's not at the surface yet. It is aligned at the 700 & 500 level. It's getting close though.

3 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1026 Postby SoupBone » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:04 pm

jasons wrote:
wxmann_91 wrote:
tgenius wrote:Is there any possibility we have a Katrina repeat

No.

Never say "Yes" or "No." While as of right now, chances for any type of Major Hurricane, or even a hurricane at all, appear to be very low, intensity is one of the most challenging things to forecast for a tropical cyclone.

I remember Katrina well. She had been TD#10 that fell apart and was completely written off, only to quickly intensify when reaching the Bahamas. If you recall, there was considerable debate on this very forum if Katrina would even become a hurricane. One member basically predicted the Apocalypse, and he got permanently banned for it. In hindsight, the prediction wasn't that crazy after all, even if for him, it was pure luck. I digress...

Nobody (respectable) predicted Katrina to move WSW and then hold together as well as she did as she traversed Florida. The GFDL model, a new model at the time, did predict it, but nobody believed it. We all watched in awe and disbelief as Katrina held together across the peninsula and then exploded in the Gulf.

Just remember, mere days before landfall, nobody could have predicted a humongous Cat. 5 aimed right at New Orleans. And a just month later, nobody could fathom that Rita would break the all-time low pressure reading in the Gulf of Mexico that had just been set by Katrina.

Just last year, up until the day Harvey made landfall, nobody could grasp a deepening Cat. 4 making landfall on the Texas coast. Humberto was another surprise. The list goes on and on...

I just caution folks to never use absolutes when predicting the behavior of tropical cyclones. They never cease to amaze us, even with all our wonderful technology and constant data feeds, mother nature is an enigma still full of secrets.

Preach it.

4 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1027 Postby toad strangler » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:09 pm

2004 and 2005 are far flung off the chart years. It’s very probable that nobody on this forum sees that again.
0 likes   

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#1028 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:10 pm

toad strangler wrote:2004 and 2005 are far flung off the chart years. It’s very probable that nobody on this forum sees that again.

2017 wasn't that boring either?
3 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#1029 Postby Clearcloudz » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Popping me some popcorn for these 00Z model runs. :D
3 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1030 Postby toad strangler » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:15 pm

AxaltaRacing24 wrote:
toad strangler wrote:2004 and 2005 are far flung off the chart years. It’s very probable that nobody on this forum sees that again.

2017 wasn't that boring either?

‘04 & ‘05 are epic CONUS years that even ‘17 sits in back of the bus.
Last edited by toad strangler on Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#1031 Postby stormlover2013 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:31 pm

2017 had the worse flood in history!!!!! Something we never seen before
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1032 Postby cycloneye » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:41 pm

Ok folks.Since the invest has not been tagged,we stick here until that happens but do it discussing about the disturbance in the Bahamas and not stray to off topic things.I didn't want to do it but as a moderator I have a responsability to mantain things running well and not turn into other things so I took out some posts.Thanks for your cooperation.
13 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1033 Postby South Texas Storms » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:47 pm

0z NAM shows no development, but a sharp wave axis tracking westward towards TX/LA by the middle part of the week.
2 likes   

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#1034 Postby eastcoastFL » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:48 pm

Any idea what kind of weather south Florida will see and when it will begin? I know its a pretty broad area so I don't know if it will be a Sunday and Monday rain event? Hoping its just like an afternoon thunderstorm.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#1035 Postby eastcoastFL » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:48 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:0z NAM shows no development, but a sharp wave axis tracking westward towards TX/LA by the middle part of the week.

Has nam ever shown development for this system?
1 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#1036 Postby Clearcloudz » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:50 pm

eastcoastFL wrote:
South Texas Storms wrote:0z NAM shows no development, but a sharp wave axis tracking westward towards TX/LA by the middle part of the week.

I don't think Nam has been bullish on showing development on this system.
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1037 Postby South Texas Storms » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:51 pm

eastcoastFL wrote:

It was more bullish on the last 2 runs than the current one. But yeah, still not much.
1 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1038 Postby SoupBone » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:52 pm

It's looks the healthiest it's looked so far at the moment though. Yeah, I know it's the NAM. :lol:
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#1039 Postby jasons2k » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:53 pm

eastcoastFL wrote:

I don't believe so, and yet for several runs it *did* develop the mess that's out in the Gulf right now (which isn't gonna happen). So...I'd pay more attention to the GFS/Euro.
3 likes   

HurricaneEric
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1040 Postby HurricaneEric » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:55 pm

eastcoastFL wrote:Any idea what kind of weather south Florida will see and when it will begin? I know its a pretty broad area so I don't know if it will be a Sunday and Monday rain event? Hoping its just like an afternoon thunderstorm.

There is a high risk for rip currents along the Atlantic beaches
Sunday and Monday.

Sunday through Tuesday: A strong tropical disturbance is expected to
move from the Bahamas and across the Florida peninsula into the
eastern Gulf of Mexico late Sunday night through Tuesday morning.
Conditions remain unfavorable for further tropical development over
the next two days as it affects South Florida. Regardless of
development, this disturbance is expected to bring periods of squally
weather across the area from at least late Sunday through Tuesday.
Periods of heavy rainfall will be possible, which may lead to
localized flooding across portions of South Florida. In addition,
isolated tornadoes and waterspouts are possible.
https://www.weather.gov/mfl/hwo

What SFL can expect the next couple days from NWS’s outlook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by HurricaneEric on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Irene '99, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Irma '17 (storms I remember my area getting hurricane force winds/gusts).

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and shouldn't be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the experts.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”