Tropical Wave East of Lesser Antilles

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Riptide
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Tropical Wave SW of CV Islands

#121 Postby Riptide » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:47 pm

Rarely a mention without model support, could be a sleeper system.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#122 Postby Sanibel » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:53 pm

That convection will probably force its own Low and you'll see the models come on board fast.

Persistent convection usually doesn't twist like that in the Hurricane Belt without forming.
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#123 Postby chaser1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:01 pm

:uarrow: ...in most years :lol:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#124 Postby gatorcane » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:02 pm

Lower level convergence on the increase:

0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#125 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:12 pm

Has more convergence than invest 99L and definitely looks better than 99L so this definitely needs to be watched as it could ba a problem for the lesser antilles if it develops and by the looks of it it could become a tropical storm whether in a few days or in the Caribbean.

I do have a question, if this does develop and become something of significence would this go north of the islands and out to sea or will it go into the Caribbean

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products
0 likes   

YoshiMike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#126 Postby YoshiMike » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:20 pm

Was wondering that too. I am new so I am not trying to ask a ton of questions LOL. But this storm is starting to look good. I think the NHC gave up on it a little too early
0 likes   
Okay guys, just because I want to BE a meteorologist, want to go to school for meteorology, DOES NOT MAKE ME A METEOROLOGIST. Anything I say about tropical weather is either me learning something new, or is just an opinion and nothing more than that. I can almost guarantee you that I will be wrong about pretty much everything.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Not to mention that it seems like some banding features on the south side and possibly some inflow there too

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#128 Postby cycloneye » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:28 pm

gatorcane,the 12z Euro at least has something from this but doesn't develop right?
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#129 Postby gatorcane » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:48 pm

Cycloneye, yes it is showing something at the surface in 24 hours though no development on the last run, moves it generally WNW to a position just east of the Northern Leewards in 96 hours:

24 hours:

96 hours:
Last edited by gatorcane on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#130 Postby cycloneye » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:49 pm

Well,one example of a system that had ZERO model support and that was a major cane Michael of 2012. A caveat is it was in the subtropical area but anyway no model saw it.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

stauglocal
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#131 Postby stauglocal » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:06 pm

I've been watching this wave and wondering why there isn't an invest at the very least. Convection has been firing for at least 24 hours. Sleeper in the works IMO.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#132 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:16 pm

stauglocal wrote:I've been watching this wave and wondering why there isn't an invest at the very least. Convection has been firing for at least 24 hours. Sleeper in the works IMO.

Didn't Dean and Felix in 2007 have similar model support, they barely had closed lows in the models for those so maybe{God Forbid} we have a similar situation here where something significant develops but is not modeled as much more than a wave

0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#133 Postby Sanibel » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:45 pm

Check out the deep wave coming out of Africa.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#134 Postby gatorcane » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:49 pm

Sanibel wrote:Check out the deep wave coming out of Africa.

Yeah I noticed they moved the floater over to that one. Looks impressive.

Saved image before the sun goes down, this is a very nice looking wave - cloud tops warming some but has held deep convection since last night, let's see if it builds some more convection tonight during DMAX:

Last edited by gatorcane on Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#135 Postby abajan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:49 pm

stauglocal wrote:I've been watching this wave and wondering why there isn't an invest at the very least. Convection has been firing for at least 24 hours. Sleeper in the works IMO.
I think that qualifies it as an area of disturbed weather at the very least. According to what I read in a book several years ago, any area of thunderstorms which maintains its identity for a minimum of 24 hours is an area of disturbed weather. Then again, the definition of what constitutes such an area may have changed.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#136 Postby cycloneye » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:51 pm

I have news. :) A low was added at the 18z surface analysis.

0 likes   

beoumont
Category 1
Category 1

#137 Postby beoumont » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:17 pm

Maybe the NHC forecaster on duty didn't mention the disturbance at 37 west because it has been moving nearly 30 mph.

The disturbance (large mid-level swirl) that eventually became Hurricane Elena in 1985 came across the Atlantic at nearly 30 mph; then finally became a depression between Cuba and Haiti as it slowed down to 22 mph.

But this is rare.
0 likes   
List of 79 tropical cyclones intercepted by Richard Horodner:
http://www.canebeard.com/page/page/572246.htm

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#138 Postby gatorcane » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:42 pm

18Z GFS still not enthusiastic. Gradually winds down the convection over the next 48 hours.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Tropical Wave WSW of CV Islands

#139 Postby SFLcane » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:15 pm

Guys the environment ahead of this very nice looking wave is very hostile. GFS is predicting strong westerly winds as it approaches the islands. I'd also like to mention kelvin wave could also be contributing to convection. If this is still holding together tomorrow morning it might get a mention but i just see how this being a threat but we shall see.

Are we in peak? :double:
0 likes   

WPBWeather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Tropical Wave WSW of CV Islands

#140 Postby WPBWeather » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:45 pm

SFLcane wrote:Guys the environment ahead of this very nice looking wave is very hostile. GFS is predicting strong westerly winds as it approaches the islands. I'd also like to mention kelvin wave could also be contributing to convection. If this is still holding together tomorrow morning it might get a mention but i just see how this being a threat but we shall see.

Are we in peak? :double:

Actually, this looks quite GOOD for this system for the next few days...

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/TCFP/da ... FP_024.gif
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”