Wave well east of Lesser Antilles (Is INVEST 96L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Wave inside Africa

#121 Postby SFLcane » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:40 am

NDG wrote:
SFLcane wrote:December like trof recurving this cyclone into Bermuda after impacting the islands.

https://i.imgur.com/izBrY5Q.png

Its ensembles paint a different picture like the Euro ensembles.

https://i.imgur.com/e477Sxe.png

NDG that map is for a completely different time.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#122 Postby NDG » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:43 am

SFLcane wrote:
NDG wrote:
SFLcane wrote:December like trof recurving this cyclone into Bermuda after impacting the islands.

No they are not, both your "map" and my "map" is the forecasted h50 heights for 12z Sept 18th.

If you meant to say that they are from two different runs, well here is the updated 06z GEFS if anything it shows more ridging than it previous 0z run that I posted.

Last edited by NDG on Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#123 Postby SFLcane » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:43 am

Lots of ridging though on the EPS.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#124 Postby SFLcane » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:45 am

NDG wrote:
SFLcane wrote:
NDG wrote:

No they are not, both your "map" and my "map" is the forecasted h50 heights for 12z Sept 18th.

Yeah the FV3GFS is a bit of an outlier with the trough.
0 likes   

invest man
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#125 Postby invest man » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:55 am

So 0z shows another ENC hit. 6z shows a curve out toward Bermuda. Difference is on the 6z it introduces another low coming of the Del/Mar/Va area which seems to allow for the further breakdown of the Atlantic high thus ithas the pimple effect between the east high and the high moving in from the west allowing it to find a more pronounced weakness and follow the western periphery of the Atlantic high. I think the key will be if that low does develop along the mid Atlantic coast. Something to keep an eye on in future runs.
1 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#126 Postby AnnularCane » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:32 am

It may have been mentioned before, but rather than search through the thread, when is this supposed to move off Africa?
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby LarryWx » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:25 am

NDG wrote:

Despite this hour 228 map of the 0Z GEFS, it is nearly unanimous that the members recurve away from the CONUS and threaten the Bermuda to Canadian Maritimes corridor. The 6Z GEFS continues with the idea of a very good chance at a similar recurve but unlike the 0Z GEFS threatens the CONUS with a strong H with ~20% of its members: 10% in Gulf and 10% close to the east coast (1 FL and 1 NC). The 0Z EPS is kind of similar to the 6Z GEFS.

Therefore, what the overall model consensus has been telling me since yesterday is to favor a recurve east of the CONUS but not to bet strongly on it at this early stage as there’s probably something like a 1 in 4 chance for the CONUS to be hit. So, I’ll keep watching this closely at least for the next few days. I’d at least like to get a better idea of the actual genesis location/timing as there’s still a lot of uncertainty there.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#128 Postby SFLcane » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:36 am

LarryWx wrote:
NDG wrote:

Despite this hour 228 map of the 0Z GEFS, it is nearly unanimous that the members recurve away from the CONUS and threaten the Bermuda to Canadian Maritimes corridor. The 6Z GEFS continues with the idea of a very good chance at a similar recurve but unlike the 0Z GEFS threatens the CONUS with a strong H with ~20% of its members: 10% in Gulf and 10% close to the east coast (1 FL and 1 NC). The 0Z EPS is kind of similar to the 6Z GEFS.

Therefore, what the overall model consensus has been telling me since yesterday is to favor a recurve east of the CONUS but not to bet strongly on it at this early stage as there’s probably something like a 1 in 4 chance for the CONUS to be hit. So, I’ll keep watching this closely at least for the next few days. I’d at least like to get a better idea of the actual genesis location/timing as there’s still a lot of uncertainty there.

Really can't rule anything out until something forms. Which probably won't be til Sunday
2 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#129 Postby wxman57 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:38 am

AnnularCane wrote:It may have been mentioned before, but rather than search through the thread, when is this supposed to move off Africa?

It's moving off the west coast of Africa today. Shows up well on the TPW loop:

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/mtpw2/product.php?color_type=tpw_nrl_colors&prod=natl&timespan=72hrs&anim=html5
6 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#130 Postby SFLcane » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:48 am

wxman57 wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:It may have been mentioned before, but rather than search through the thread, when is this supposed to move off Africa?

It's moving off the west coast of Africa today. Shows up well on the TPW loop:

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/mtpw2/product.php?color_type=tpw_nrl_colors&prod=natl&timespan=72hrs&anim=html5

Fast forward motion and broadness will limit short-term development but the moisture field looks good. Should get a mention in the TWO maybe next 1-2 days.
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Wave Exiting Africa

#131 Postby SFLcane » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:58 am

0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#132 Postby NDG » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:07 am

LarryWx wrote:
NDG wrote:

My post was more regarding the deep trough the last two runs of the GFS operational show for mid next week in which its ensembles and Euro ensembles don't agree with. Way too early to talk if it will recurve or not 8-)
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#133 Postby LarryWx » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:17 am

To prevent confusion for the general readership, John’s tweet has been supported by just about every GFS and Euro ensemble the last few days. It is, indeed, a risky setup. If there were a TC forming from 94L, the timing would be of much greater concern as that would mean a TC getting too far west to recurve OTS. But what’s been happening is a breakdown of this dangerous E US ridging/WAR starting just after day 10 to just save the day for the CONUS with regard to the wave now about to emerge from Africa with most but not all ensemble members OTS. However, there are numerous OTS that are within only 500 miles of the east coast. It isn’t like these are, say, 1,000+ miles offshore, which would make me feel much more confident for OTS.
My thinking right now for CONUS is pretty logical and based on model consensus of the last few days: if it is 250 or so miles north of the Caribbean or further north, there’d be an excellent chance for OTS from CONUS. But if it is just north of or in the Caribbean, trouble would likely be ahead.
Last edited by LarryWx on Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#134 Postby LarryWx » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:23 am

NDG wrote:
LarryWx wrote:
NDG wrote:

My post was more regarding the deep trough the last two runs of the GFS operational show for mid next week in which its ensembles and Euro ensembles don't agree with. Way too early to talk if it will recurve or not 8-)

I agree it is way too early to say if it WILL recurve or NOT, which is what I’ve been saying. But it is not too early to lay odds based on model consensus of what the actual 70+ ensemble members of the EPS and GEFS actually do, which is what I’ve been doing.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#135 Postby cycloneye » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:28 am

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#136 Postby Kazmit » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:33 am

Big ridge blocking it on this GFS run...
0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#137 Postby Hurricaneman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:34 am

The one thing I don’t like is the trend of stronger ridge and less troughiness in the long run on the GFS
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#138 Postby Hurricaneman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:34 am

The one thing I don’t like is the trend of stronger ridge and less troughiness in the long run on the GFS
0 likes   

chris_fit
Category 5
Category 5

#139 Postby chris_fit » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:37 am

Still running it directly into the ridge it seems... or it's not as strong as we think
0 likes   

HurricaneMaster_PR
Category 2
Category 2

#140 Postby HurricaneMaster_PR » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:48 am

Damn! 06Z and 12Z GFS hinting to a Maria Part 2 scenario in relation to PR!
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”