Tropical Wave in East Atlantic (Is Invest 97L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Tropical Wave in West Africa (Pouch 39L)

#21 Postby WeatherEmperor » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 pm

12Z Canadian does not show this system at all. Lets see what the 12Z Euro shows later today.
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby abajan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:43 pm

1900hurricane wrote:It's been a while since the Atlantic Basin has seen a real low latitude tropical cyclone (the last at a somewhat low latitude was Tomas '10 I believe). ...

Yes. I recall it well. Hopefully, this isn't a repeat.
0 likes   

centuryv58
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#23 Postby centuryv58 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:44 pm

WeatherEmperor wrote:12Z Canadian does not show this system at all. Lets see what the 12Z Euro shows later today.

The 12 z does show something. Not sure if its this or another new storm. Just checked again on Tropical Tidbits.
0 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby WeatherEmperor » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:49 pm

centuryv58 wrote:
WeatherEmperor wrote:12Z Canadian does not show this system at all. Lets see what the 12Z Euro shows later today.

The 12 z does show something. Not sure if its this or another new storm. Just checked again on Tropical Tidbits.

It is showing plenty of phantom lows in the Atlantic but it doesn't show the Caribbean system or Pouch 39L that the 12Z Gfs shows.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#25 Postby Alyono » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:55 pm

Canadian has it, but keeps it as a disturbance
0 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby blp » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:59 pm

12z CMC

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

centuryv58
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#27 Postby centuryv58 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:00 pm

Alyono wrote:Canadian has it, but keeps it as a disturbance

That's what I thought. Thanks.
0 likes   

xcool22
Category 1
Category 1

#28 Postby xcool22 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:20 pm

do not putting much faith in gfs yet..

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.
0 likes   
SCOTT

setexholmes
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#29 Postby setexholmes » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:37 pm

What's that other feature in the gulf moving wnw on the 12z cmc?
0 likes   
The comments and opinions I make are borderline crazy and should not be taken too seriously. Please consult NOAA for information.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#30 Postby Alyono » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:59 pm

EC has a much better defined disturbance and it has shifted southward
0 likes   

Fego
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#31 Postby Fego » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:00 pm

0 likes   
Go Giants! Go Niners! Go Warriors!

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#32 Postby cycloneye » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:00 pm

:uarrow: Yes.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby blp » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:02 pm

Alyono wrote:EC has a much better defined disturbance and it has shifted southward

Yes indeed. It looks more likely this will make it into the Caribbean and avoid Hispaniola to the South.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#34 Postby cycloneye » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:07 pm

Now we have different tracks from the two principal global models.The question is which track will be what in reality occurs,the low latitude runner by GFS or the more north one by ECMWF.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby sma10 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:11 pm

SouthFLTropics wrote:
sma10 wrote:This is obviously fantasy at this point, but still of interest to see if it develops as modeled. I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with an analog track that the GFS is depicting.

The historical record is chock full of October Cuba-to-Florida connections, but these usually find their genesis down in the Western Caribbean. Can anyone point to me an early October track similar to this one?

I can give you a late August track...Charley formed in the Southern Antilles and tracked WNW to just west of Jamaica before making its move north over Cuba and to Punta Gorda.

Yes, my point exactly. It's been an extremely long time since we've seen a Cabo Verde system track into the Eastern Caribbean, cross the Caribbean, and then curve into Cuba/Florida in October. In fact, I can't remember even 1 instance :cheesy:

Usually this time of year I don't even bother looking at Africa any more because anything that develops in that area of the Atlantic post 9/25 or so, is almost always a sure-fire recurve before the islands. Very interesting track, if it is realized.
0 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby blp » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:11 pm

Interesting how both the Euro and GFS develop a skinny Ridge over the Central Atlantic around 20N that keeps the system from heading OTS. That pattern will assure that it gets into the Caribbean.

0 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby PTrackerLA » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:41 pm

Could be very similar system to Hurricane Lili 2002 if the track somewhat verifies, even the dates would only be a few days within each other.
0 likes   

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Schriever, Louisiana (60 miles southwest of New Orleans)

#38 Postby cajungal » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:44 pm

PTrackerLA wrote:Could be very similar system to Hurricane Lili 2002 if the track somewhat verifies, even the dates would only be a few days within each other.

Timing is everything. Depends on where it is and if the front dives down to shunt it to Florida. If the ridge in the gulf is still there then it will go west. Most in October become Florida's issue. But I remember Lili very well.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby LarryWx » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:45 pm

sma10 wrote:
SouthFLTropics wrote:
sma10 wrote:This is obviously fantasy at this point, but still of interest to see if it develops as modeled. I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with an analog track that the GFS is depicting.

The historical record is chock full of October Cuba-to-Florida connections, but these usually find their genesis down in the Western Caribbean. Can anyone point to me an early October track similar to this one?

I can give you a late August track...Charley formed in the Southern Antilles and tracked WNW to just west of Jamaica before making its move north over Cuba and to Punta Gorda.

Yes, my point exactly. It's been an extremely long time since we've seen a Cabo Verde system track into the Eastern Caribbean, cross the Caribbean, and then curve into Cuba/Florida in October. In fact, I can't remember even 1 instance :cheesy:

Usually this time of year I don't even bother looking at Africa any more because anything that develops in that area of the Atlantic post 9/25 or so, is almost always a sure-fire recurve before the islands. Very interesting track, if it is realized.

About the only way something makes it all of the way across this late in Sep. is if it doesn't develop into a TC before 50W in most cases. The latest TC genesis of any storm E of 50W that made it all of the way to the Conus is 9/25.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#40 Postby cycloneye » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:51 pm

1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”