2021 Tropical Waves Thread

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Tropical Wave east of the Lesser Antilles

#21 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:52 am

Today will be the day. If it can hold convection and wrangle together the broken pieces of the ITCZ then it should develop at some point over the next 48 hours.
4 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:42 am

Becoming more defined. From 1:30 AM 5 hours ago

9 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

StPeteMike
Category 1
Category 1

Re: 2021 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

#23 Postby StPeteMike » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:58 am

The consecutive runs showing a storm forming around the 29th will likely pan out. We saw the same with Claudette, be it many runs had a stronger system than what came to be. But we should definitely watch this one a week from now.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:03 am

up to 20/20

ABNT20 KNHC 211111
TWOAT

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
800 AM EDT Mon Jun 21 2021

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

The National Hurricane Center is issuing advisories on recently
upgraded Tropical Storm Claudette, located inland over northeastern
North Carolina.

A well-defined tropical wave located about 900 miles east-southeast
of the Windward Islands is producing disorganized showers and
thunderstorms. Some development of this disturbance will be possible
during the next couple of days before upper-level winds become less
conducive for further organization by Thursday. The system is
expected to move westward to west-northwestward at around 15 mph.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...20 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.

$$
Forecaster Stewart
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#25 Postby tolakram » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:06 am

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#26 Postby tolakram » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:08 am

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby AutoPenalti » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:20 am

Looks like it's getting its act together real quick.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:28 am

AutoPenalti wrote:Will this be the catalyst for WCarr development that the Euro and GFS keep developing?

Yes, But it may spin up before the islands. If it does then it may stay a weak TD and pulse convection... or open back to a wave until the western carrib.
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby abajan » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:35 am

Aric Dunn wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:Will this be the catalyst for WCarr development that the Euro and GFS keep developing?

Yes, But it may spin up before the islands. If it does then it may stay a weak TD and pulse convection... or open back to a wave until the western carrib.

Aric, I find these systems tend to accelerate as they approach the Lesser Antilles. According to the latest TWO, it's moving at about 15 mph. Do you think its forward speed will increase, decrease, or remain pretty much the same as it moves westward?
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:39 am

abajan wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

Aric, I find these systems tend to accelerate as they approach the Lesser Antilles. According to the latest TWO, it's moving at about 15 mph. Do you think its forward speed will increase, decrease, or remain pretty much the same as it moves westward?

Well they definitely speed up once they reach the eastern Carrib. They can accelerate before the islands if the ridge builds in stronger. So far from the models the ridge stays pretty much the same and the models don't really speed it up. the wave does become more amplified as it approaches the islands which is normal.... but the shear also increases at that time.
3 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#31 Postby AnnularCane » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:57 am

Aric Dunn wrote:

So falling apart in the Caribbean wouldn't necessarily be the end of it?
3 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby aspen » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:49 am

AnnularCane wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

Perhaps similar to Harvey: forming as a small TS before the Lesser Antilles, getting ripped apart in the Caribbean, and regenerating later in the WCar/Gulf.
5 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby AnnularCane » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:02 am

aspen wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

Perhaps similar to Harvey: forming as a small TS before the Lesser Antilles, getting ripped apart in the Caribbean, and regenerating later in the WCar/Gulf.

Yeah, Harvey instantly came to mind. 8-)
3 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:04 am

Ah yes Harvey, the ultimate Atlantic zombie.
3 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#35 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:13 am

No, is not an eye. :D

5 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#36 Postby Stormybajan » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:15 am

aspen wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

Harvey is definitely the model this wave is trying to take, but lets hope this mirrors more a TS Bret and TS Don in 2017. Also seems to be a bit of dry air affecting the wave right now if im seeing correctly?
0 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:20 am

Stormybajan wrote:
aspen wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:

Harvey is definitely the model this wave is trying to take, but lets hope this mirrors more a TS Bret and TS Don in 2017. Also seems to be a bit of dry air affecting the wave right now if im seeing correctly?

At the moment it just looks like your normal daily pulse down phase. Dry air is still well north.. currently has a good moisture stream.
3 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#38 Postby Shell Mound » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:28 am

Aric Dunn wrote:
Stormybajan wrote:
aspen wrote:Perhaps similar to Harvey: forming as a small TS before the Lesser Antilles, getting ripped apart in the Caribbean, and regenerating later in the WCar/Gulf.

At the moment it just looks like your normal daily pulse down phase. Dry air is still well north.. currently has a good moisture stream.

The 00Z ECMWF suggests further deepening/organisation through day three, whereupon the system encounters LL convergence (trade surge) near the Windwards. If the system manages to develop a closed low-level circulation overnight, then perhaps it could briefly attempt to attain low-end TS status, given its compact size and the relatively strong pressure gradient, that is, high ambient MSLP. Tropical Storm Don (2017) might be a decent analog.
3 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

mcallum177
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#39 Postby mcallum177 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:10 am

Is this wave the one currently predicted on the 06z GFS run to impact texas near hour 264? I tried to track the 850 vorticity but lose it south of Jamaica on the GFS.
2 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby Shell Mound » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:52 am

mcallum177 wrote:Is this wave the one currently predicted on the 06z GFS run to impact texas near hour 264? I tried to track the 850 vorticity but lose it south of Jamaica on the GFS.

I believe so. Comparison with the 00Z ECMWF shows that the timing and placement match. Both models show the vorticity near Jamaica in a week.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”